Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Manliputive Ex Partner

  1. #1
    lazyeejay

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3

    Manliputive Ex Partner

    My first post so apologies for jumping straight in but I really need some advice. My ex partner left me 8 years without explanation. We had a house and two young children together. She was quite young but always wanted a family and home. That was her dream.
    Anyway I met someone else, successful and very totally into me which was great.
    She has two girls same age as my daughter and son, now 12 and 10. We also have an 8 month baby together.
    Anyway my son and daughter effectively grew up with her girls for 6 years together. Holidays, days out etc we were a good unit. Out of the blue in 2015 my son aged 8 at the time said he no longer wanted to stay weekends as he didn't want to leave mummy. We spoke and to save him any distress I stopped his weekend visits. For the last year or so I've seen only for 4 hours a month on a Sunday but when I do see him it's like everything is normal.
    Last weekend I proposed trying again with one weekend a month to start and see how we went. He seemed keen on this and I was pleased but when I texted his mum she said he wasn't sure now.
    Bearing in mind I've done as much as I can for my children in the last eight years. I've changed jobs, taken lower pay in order to see them. One journey is 40 miles and I do that at least once a week, a Christmas because of a stupid agreement I can do 200 miles in a week. It's not exaggeration to say I've done 1000's of miles in eight years sometimes on very little sleep or if I'm ill. My partner has taken them on so many nice holidays and days out, they want for absolutely nothing.
    I'm now at the end of my tether with my boy. I've never let my children down but I feel my boy has really let me down with false hope once again. I know it's not entirely his fault as his mum is manliputive but he isn't 4 years old and surely has to take responsibility for saying one thing then another.
    My ex knows I can't do anything as she is within the boundaries of the law in the sense she is not stopping me seeing them.
    I'm just thinking now to leave the four hours a month as he obviously doesn't want to come back and when we see him it's very emotional for all our children who obviously want him back. He makes promises he can't keep. I'm not saying he doesn't love me but maybe I should walk away and keep a journal as a friend suggested and show him when he is older and starts wanting answers because as a parent I'm emotionally done in now. Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to put eight years in a nutshell.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Wiseman2
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    22,431
    Gender
    Male
    Thanked
    16597
    Do you have court ordered visitation and custody agreements in place?
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyeejay [Register to see the link]
    We had a house and two young children together. I met someone else.We also have an 8 month baby together. My ex knows I can't do anything as she is within the boundaries of the law. He makes promises he can't keep.

  3. #3
    lazyeejay

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3
    We have the standard every other weekend, half of holidays, midweek etc but I can't force him to come. That's where she is being clever. She says things like "mummy gets so lonely when you go" and "mummy misses you so much" so she plays on his vulnerabilities.

  4. #4
    Wiseman2
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    22,431
    Gender
    Male
    Thanked
    16597
    Do't let him become a pawn or collateral damage in your dealings with his mother. He's a child, let him go through whatever phases he goes through.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyeejay [Register to see the link]
    She says things like "mummy gets so lonely when you go" and "mummy misses you so much" so she plays on his vulnerabilities.

  5. #5
    lazyeejay

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3
    I'm not using him as a pawn though, that's exactly my point. His mother is. I've done everything for my kids. I never even spoke ill of their mum in front of them. She has constantly fought me and made my life hell seeing my children. I'm upset with my son because he can't promise one thing then change his mind at the drop of a hat. My arguement is that he has been allowed and is continued to be allowed to make big decisions when he hasn't the maturity to do so and he doesn't realise the hurt and implications of what he is doing because his mum doesn't make it a big deal because she wants to hurt me.

  6. #6
    Wiseman2
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    22,431
    Gender
    Male
    Thanked
    16597
    He's a child. Stop blaming him.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyeejay [Register to see the link]
    I'm upset with my son because he can't promise one thing then change his mind at the drop of a hat.

  7. Thanks RainyCoast, qwaspolk82 thanked for this post
  8. 01-31-2017, 10:01 AM
    Reason
    Flaming

  9. #7
    Wiseman2
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    22,431
    Gender
    Male
    Thanked
    16597
    What has this innocent child been through for the past 8 yrs with your leaving his mother and this new blended family you have and he has to adjust to including going back and forth between you and his mother? It sounds like he gets more undivided attention with his mother and doesn't have to deal with your gf's kids, etc. Have you ever sat down and asked him about all of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyeejay [Register to see the link]
    You don't know what I've been through for the last eight years.

  10. Thanks qwaspolk82 thanked for this post
  11. #8
    indea08
    Gold Member indea08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    908
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    294
    You actually CAN force him to come to your house. If it's court-ordered every other weekend, then that's it, period. And when he's at your house, make it fun for him and when you/he feels comfortable, ask him why he doesn't want to be there anymore. If he's 8 years old, he'd be capable of an honest conversation with you.

  12. Thanks Wiseman2, qwaspolk82, Lady Amalthea thanked for this post
  13. #9
    jennylove
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,254
    Thanked
    356
    Your ex, she's something else. It's too bad he can't just be a kid, but instead, he's acting as her protector. He feels the need to take care of her and that is wrong. I'd get him as often as the courts say you can have him and don't let her play these games. When you have him, let him be a kid. Not sure what the final outcome will be but 1 of 3 things will happen if she doesn't stop her BS:
    1) he's going to grow up and they will be co-dependent on eachother. It's heading in that direction now. He could very well end up being the 30 yo who hasn't left home yet because of the dependency issues.

    2) he's going to feel the burden. And what a burden it is. This burden will cause him to resent his mom.

    3) in scenerio 1, he'll have the "daddy issue". In scenerio 2, "mommy issues"

  14. #10
    qwaspolk82
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    678
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyeejay [Register to see the link]
    We have the standard every other weekend, half of holidays, midweek etc but I can't force him to come. That's where she is being clever. She says things like "mummy gets so lonely when you go" and "mummy misses you so much" so she plays on his vulnerabilities.
    Actually you can force him to come and his mother should be too. The fact that you two are letting a child dictate things is very concerning. You are the parents. Not the kids. If they don't want to eat dinner do you just say "okay that's fine honey. Don't eat." If he doesn't want to bathe for a few days do you just let that go? I hope not. So why would you let him dictate this part of life?

    You have court ordered visitation. Whether or not you use that is on you. But when you want it she has to let you have it. He's still a child too. He's about 10 now right? That's still a child. When you say this: "I've never let my children down but I feel my boy has really let me down with false hope once again. I know it's not entirely his fault as his mum is manliputive but he isn't 4 years old and surely has to take responsibility for saying one thing then another." That's very disconcerting. I hope you never say that to his face. So what if he's four or 10 or whatever? He's the child YOU are the adult. You need to act like it. Both you and his mother.

    How could you stop having visitation for a year? If there were issues with him wanting to come visit you should have talked to the mother and if she won't cooperate then you go to the court and ask for mandatory co-parenting classes. Because there isn't any going on. I know how some parents can be manipulative. I've seen it. My mom manipulated the hell out of my youngest brother for years and even us at times.

    Actually your son can promise one thing and change his mind. HE IS A CHILD!!!! That's what children do and you're just trying to punish him.

    "My arguement is that he has been allowed and is continued to be allowed to make big decisions when he hasn't the maturity to do so and he doesn't realise the hurt and implications of what he is doing because his mum doesn't make it a big deal because she wants to hurt me. " Do you realize that YOU are also allowing him to make big decisions as well? YOU and MOM are both to blame.

    All I hear is "me, me, me" and how it makes you feel. It's not about you. It's about your kids.

    Stop letting him make adult decisions. Stop blaming him for things and stop acting like you're 100% innocent. You aren't. Your ex sounds like a basket case but you're causing problems too.

  15. Thanks Wiseman2 thanked for this post
  16.  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
Mum boyfriend inapropriate
My mums boyfriend ( of 18 months) moved into our home after around 14 months of them being together. At the beginning he would be kind to me, buy me
I hate my parents for having a lot of kids
I'm the eldest of five siblings. My mother stays at home and my dad works abroad. My mother used to have a nice government job but she quit (with my
Mum boyfriend inapropriate
Hi everyone, thought i would share an update on whats happened so far. Thankyou all for helping me out yesterday, everything you all said was really
Mother in law is coming in between
My mother in law has crossed the line and called me out of my name bc my husband wouldn’t do what she wanted him to do.But recently she has taken it
How can I get my mom to speak more civilly with me?
:dejection: My mom is not a very logical person and often very glib, so how she talks to me often makes no sense or is very thoughtless or
family disowned me
I am in my 60's. Two years ago one of my sisters heard through someone else that I said something mean about her. I did not say it. For the next
Very messed up family situation with my brother + his upcoming wedding
Sit tight because there's a lot to set up. I'm 27, my brother's 34, and we still live with our parents. Yikes, I know. His fiancee has lived with

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
I love you, but I'm not in love with you.
So my fiancé of 7.5 years has decided she isn't in love with me anymore so has broken up with me. Our situation is very complicated we have a 2.5
How far should I go with unfriending/blocking on social media?
Hi all, I'm going hard no contact. She originally unfriended me on Snap and Twitter. I recently unfriended her on FB and IG. I also went a step
missing atm
I think what I miss at the moment is having a friend to talk to like we used to. She became the only person I really talked to for the better part
Mum boyfriend inapropriate
Hi everyone, thought i would share an update on whats happened so far. Thankyou all for helping me out yesterday, everything you all said was really
Girlfriend always mad at me
Me and my girlfriend have been togetehr for almost a year. I love her more than anything and i know shes not cheating on me or anything like that
I [F/26] found underwear in my boyfriend's [M/30] pocket.
I've been with my boyfriend for over a year. Recently, my boyfriend asked me to look for some money, so I looked everywhere and I couldn't find it. I
Ex gf text me out of the blue
I guess I just want some feedback and honest replies as my head is completely gone again. Me and my ex gf have been in no contact for a few months
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •