Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Independence in leaps :)

  1. #1
    ~Seraphim ~
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    50
    Posts
    30,729
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    4573

    Independence in leaps :)

    Background:
    Autistic son who is 19.

    He has been taking the bus on his own and telling me now because I have thought it was great and applaud his independence. Tomorrow he is going on the bus from college to the dentist and back to college on his own.

    This is HUGE for him.

  2. Thanks RainyCoast, pippy longstocking, avman, zeino thanked for this post
  3. #2
    browneyedgirl36
    Platinum Member browneyedgirl36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Someplace Sunny!
    Posts
    4,429
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~ [Register to see the link]
    Background:
    Autistic son who is 19.

    He has been taking the bus on his own and telling me now because I have thought it was great and applaud his independence. Tomorrow he is going on the bus from college to the dentist and back to college on his own.

    This is HUGE for him.
    This IS huge! I don't think I've mentioned it before, but my fiancee's daughter is on the spectrum -- last year she was diagnosed ASD 1, which I believe is the same as Aspergers. She's 14 now, and I'm hoping she too will be able to go to college, get around on her own, etc. She actually did really well the other day when her dad couldn't pick her up at school because he was out of town, and he got her a car service -- kind of like an Uber or Lyft, but a small business designed as a shuttle just for kids -- and she did fine. I have a feeling that she'll never learn to drive a car, partly because she has anxiety that gets really bad in stressful situations, but I have hope that she'll be able to take the bus on her own.

    Hearing about your son is really uplifting and gives me a lot of hope for my stepdaughter-to-be!

  4. Thanks ~Seraphim ~ thanked for this post
  5. #3
    SherrySher
    Platinum Member SherrySher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,419
    Thanked
    1197
    Wtg! I hope it all goes off without a hitch. Sounds like he's doing great.

  6. Thanks ~Seraphim ~ thanked for this post
  7. #4
    ~Seraphim ~
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    50
    Posts
    30,729
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    4573
    Quote Originally Posted by browneyedgirl36 [Register to see the link]
    This IS huge! I don't think I've mentioned it before, but my fiancee's daughter is on the spectrum -- last year she was diagnosed ASD 1, which I believe is the same as Aspergers. She's 14 now, and I'm hoping she too will be able to go to college, get around on her own, etc. She actually did really well the other day when her dad couldn't pick her up at school because he was out of town, and he got her a car service -- kind of like an Uber or Lyft, but a small business designed as a shuttle just for kids -- and she did fine. I have a feeling that she'll never learn to drive a car, partly because she has anxiety that gets really bad in stressful situations, but I have hope that she'll be able to take the bus on her own.

    Hearing about your son is really uplifting and gives me a lot of hope for my stepdaughter-to-be!
    Absolutely, this is huge for him and it gives me hope one day for his full independence . Yes, he has ASD 1. They will always need some kind of help being independent but can be. I hope your step daughter makes it to college so many don't . But with you at the helm I am positive she will make it.

    Yes, driving might be difficult due to anxiety. My son says give him time he will know when he can.

    He has become so good at articulating needs and aspirations. He even emailed his professors about his appointment and how it might impact attendance.

  8. #5
    ~Seraphim ~
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    50
    Posts
    30,729
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    4573
    Quote Originally Posted by SherrySher [Register to see the link]
    Wtg! I hope it all goes off without a hitch. Sounds like he's doing great.
    He is reaching a new confidence for sure.

  9. Thanks SherrySher thanked for this post
  10. #6
    browneyedgirl36
    Platinum Member browneyedgirl36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Someplace Sunny!
    Posts
    4,429
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~ [Register to see the link]
    Absolutely, this is huge for him and it gives me hope one day for his full independence . Yes, he has ASD 1. They will always need some kind of help being independent but can be. I hope your step daughter makes it to college so many don't . But with you at the helm I am positive she will make it.

    Yes, driving might be difficult due to anxiety. My son says give him time he will know when he can.

    He has become so good at articulating needs and aspirations. He even emailed his professors about his appointment and how it might impact attendance.
    This is great! I think my stepdaughter will be able to at least take some college classes, even if she doesn't try to pursue a degree. I'll bet she'd love an art class, a graphic design class, or maybe something dealing with science or history. I told my fiancee that when she's ready, I'll help her find classes and show her the ropes at the college where I teach.

  11. Thanks ~Seraphim ~ thanked for this post
  12. #7
    ~Seraphim ~
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    50
    Posts
    30,729
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    4573
    I am so proud of my son. He takes a 60% course load per semester. It will take him 6 years to do his 3 year diploma but it will mean SO much. He fights so so hard to be able to do what other people do.

  13. Thanks SherrySher thanked for this post
  14. #8
    ~Seraphim ~
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    50
    Posts
    30,729
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    4573
    His grandma is freaked out and doesn't want me to let him go alone. But he needs to.

  15. #9
    pippy longstocking
    Platinum Member pippy longstocking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    london
    Posts
    10,443
    Thanked
    2628
    awww vic ...I am so proud of him ..wait till he tells you he is about to board a flight to stay with auntie pippy <3 <3

    Emily is 18 end of feb .... shall I get the church booked

  16. Thanks ~Seraphim ~ thanked for this post
  17. #10
    ~Seraphim ~
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    50
    Posts
    30,729
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    4573
    Quote Originally Posted by pippy longstocking [Register to see the link]
    awww vic ...I am so proud of him ..wait till he tells you he is about to board a flight to stay with auntie pippy <3 <3

    Emily is 18 end of feb .... shall I get the church booked
    I can't believe they are this grown up now! Omg. I think my son was 9 when I joined here. And your Ems my goodness!!!!
    Hahaha who knows he might arrive on your doorstep one day.

  18.  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
My Christmas
I choose to live apart from my family because they tend to drive me batty. However, I have not been home for the holidays in 5 years, babies have
Asking for input from estranged children
Hello. I'm hoping that I can get some input from adult children who are estranged from their parents. My youngest son is 28, and has decided that
My mom trying to pick clothes for me
I'm tired of my mom trying to control the clothes I wear. I don't want her picking my clothes. I'm 26. It's so embarrassing. I miss it when I used to
Judgemental dad, how do i handle it
My dad hates that my boyfriend and i rent. And he is vocal about it. He even said he isn't comfortable at our place and that its a dump. He goes on
Am I wrong for this?
For those of y'all that be been on here a bit y'all have seen me post about mom and her declining health for a while now. She's back in the hospital

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Is he still in love with his EX?
I met this great guy at work (last November), he just got out of a painful breakup (last September) during that time he kept communicating with his
Can't get over girlfriends past
I've been dating this girl for about 5 months and its going great. The only issue is that I can't get over her sexual history. There are several
I dont like my girlfriends new piercing
So my girlfriend went and got nipple piercings knowing that i didnt like them and didnt tell me she was gonna get them. They are a really big turn
What I am to her ?
hey guys I want some counseling .. I met a girl online .. At first she said that she doesn't wanna fall for me and we will be just friends .. I said
I want my family back
Hi, I was dumped on New Years Eve by my ex girlfriend of 8 years whom I have a 6 year old with. We have been arguing for the past few months prior to
Anxious and depressed about being 32 yo and not married
I could really use some kind and encouraging words right now because I wake up every morning to an intense feeling of pain because I am alone. I'm 32
Ex (dumper) delays giving keys back. Why?
First time poster. Been viewing threads somewhat regularly for a few months now and figured I'd get a few opinions. I'll give a little of the
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •