Independence in leaps :)

Seraphim

Background:

Autistic son who is 19.

He has been taking the bus on his own and telling me now because I have thought it was great and applaud his independence. Tomorrow he is going on the bus from college to the dentist and back to college on his own.

This is HUGE for him.

This IS huge! I don't think I've mentioned it before, but my fiancee's daughter is on the spectrum -- last year she was diagnosed ASD 1, which I believe is the same as Aspergers. She's 14 now, and I'm hoping she too will be able to go to college, get around on her own, etc. She actually did really well the other day when her dad couldn't pick her up at school because he was out of town, and he got her a car service -- kind of like an Uber or Lyft, but a small business designed as a shuttle just for kids -- and she did fine. I have a feeling that she'll never learn to drive a car, partly because she has anxiety that gets really bad in stressful situations, but I have hope that she'll be able to take the bus on her own.

Hearing about your son is really uplifting and gives me a lot of hope for my stepdaughter-to-be!

This IS huge! I don't think I've mentioned it before, but my fiancee's daughter is on the spectrum -- last year she was diagnosed ASD 1, which I believe is the same as Aspergers. She's 14 now, and I'm hoping she too will be able to go to college, get around on her own, etc. She actually did really well the other day when her dad couldn't pick her up at school because he was out of town, and he got her a car service -- kind of like an Uber or Lyft, but a small business designed as a shuttle just for kids -- and she did fine. I have a feeling that she'll never learn to drive a car, partly because she has anxiety that gets really bad in stressful situations, but I have hope that she'll be able to take the bus on her own.

Hearing about your son is really uplifting and gives me a lot of hope for my stepdaughter-to-be!

Absolutely, this is huge for him and it gives me hope one day for his full independence . Yes, he has ASD 1. They will always need some kind of help being independent but can be. I hope your step daughter makes it to college so many don't . But with you at the helm I am positive she will make it.

Yes, driving might be difficult due to anxiety. My son says give him time he will know when he can.

He has become so good at articulating needs and aspirations. He even emailed his professors about his appointment and how it might impact attendance.

Absolutely, this is huge for him and it gives me hope one day for his full independence . Yes, he has ASD 1. They will always need some kind of help being independent but can be. I hope your step daughter makes it to college so many don't . But with you at the helm I am positive she will make it.

Yes, driving might be difficult due to anxiety. My son says give him time he will know when he can.

He has become so good at articulating needs and aspirations. He even emailed his professors about his appointment and how it might impact attendance.

This is great! I think my stepdaughter will be able to at least take some college classes, even if she doesn't try to pursue a degree. I'll bet she'd love an art class, a graphic design class, or maybe something dealing with science or history. I told my fiancee that when she's ready, I'll help her find classes and show her the ropes at the college where I teach.

awww vic ...I am so proud of him ..wait till he tells you he is about to board a flight to stay with auntie pippy

Emily is 18 end of feb .... shall I get the church booked

I can't believe they are this grown up now! Omg. I think my son was 9 when I joined here. And your Ems my goodness!!!!

Hahaha who knows he might arrive on your doorstep one day.

Update:

He completed most of the task which is pretty good! He missed the first bus so I picked him up and dropped him off. Then he went to his appointment paid his bill and booked the appointment for he is filing. Then he took the bus back.

So a big success I think!

He wants someone there for his filing. That might have to be his dad or I alert the office ahead of time that he is afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived