College graduate moving to a place that's not a big city

jackie103

I am a senior in college (22F) and I will be moving to Blacksburg, VA after I graduate for my first full time job. I'm a little worried since I won't be moving to a big city such as Boston or DC so I feel like it'll be really hard to meet new people and make friends with other young professionals. A lot of my friends got jobs in big cities and I'm a little jealous... my other job offer was in Milwaukee but the pay I'm getting in Virginia is 12k more, so of course I took that offer.

Anyway, I want to hear from other young professionals who didn't get to move to a big city right out of college and how they dealt with it since pretty much everyone I know moved to a big city after college. My major is Industrial Engineering and I want some experience in the manufacturing industry, which mostly takes place in plants, which are always located in the middle of no where... the one good thing about moving to Virginia is the nature around it. I'm really big into hiking and this is a great place for that.

But I'm pretty worried about moving there since I'm not good at showing up to events alone to meet new people without feeling awkward since I feel that a lot of people already know each other. Its much easier in college when you're sort of in that environment to meet people and as a college graduate I feel like that will be totally different, even in a college town (Virginia Tech) since I will no longer be a college student.

The whole Blacksburg/Christainsburg area probably will be better than you think for meeting people. If memory serves there are quite a few hiking oriented meet-up groups, and I will say that people down that way are pretty easy to talk to.

And if you need a larger urban environment you could move to Roanoke about a 45 min commute. I used to live down in Radford, so be ready for the occasional heavy mist/fog.

As for my experience, well I traveled a lot right out of college for work and never had time to cultivate anything; so find a way to be home most nights!

The whole Blacksburg/Christainsburg area probably will be better than you think for meeting people. If memory serves there are quite a few hiking oriented meet-up groups, and I will say that people down that way are pretty easy to talk to.

And if you need a larger urban environment you could move to Roanoke about a 45 min commute. I used to live down in Radford, so be ready for the occasional heavy mist/fog.

As for my experience, well I traveled a lot right out of college for work and never had time to cultivate anything; so find a way to be home most nights!

Yeah I was thinking about living in Roanoke but people have said that the commute is horrible from there to Blacksburg! And yes, I've seen a couple of those meet ups but a lot of those groups contain older people. Although that's fine, it'd be really nice to meet some other people my age. I can only hope that there are others my age just moving there in June maybe starting new jobs as well since Blacksburg is basically a college town

Yeah I was thinking about living in Roanoke but people have said that the commute is horrible from there to Blacksburg! And yes, I've seen a couple of those meet ups but a lot of those groups contain older people. Although that's fine, it'd be really nice to meet some other people my age. I can only hope that there are others my age just moving there in June maybe starting new jobs as well since Blacksburg is basically a college town

I81 can be a bit of a hassle at times, but it's really pretty easy; granted I'm used to 8+ hour drives and heavy urban traffic (Read DC and Baltimore). You'll know what's best for you when the time comes.

Well all depends on what is "older" to you. I'd honestly say don't worry a whole lot about finding people to interact with, you'll see some demographics flows in the summer but natural with the Tech domination of things. (Brace yourself for the maroon and orange extravaganza Haha.) Also look into some of the Young professional groups in Roanoke, if they're there.

I81 can be a bit of a hassle at times, but it's really pretty easy; granted I'm used to 8+ hour drives and heavy urban traffic (Read DC and Baltimore). You'll know what's best for you when the time comes.

Well all depends on what is "older" to you. I'd honestly say don't worry a whole lot about finding people to interact with, you'll see some demographics flows in the summer but natural with the Tech domination of things. (Brace yourself for the maroon and orange extravaganza Haha.) Also look into some of the Young professional groups in Roanoke, if they're there.

Yeah, they have a young professionals group in Blacksburg that I plan on joining! I hate meeting new people alone but I guess I'll have to step out of my comfort zone just so I won't be lonely! It's hard because finding young professional housemates isn't as easy when not in a big city... I don't feel like living with college students again

I think it matters what you are used too. Yes you might not have the massive crouds and constant new faces but sometimes that can be better. IMO

That's true. When I visited my place of work, there were some young employees there, but being an engineer, they were all male. Which is fine, but I have a lot of male friends in college and you can't always hang out with them because they'll always start to talk about "guy" stuff that I can't relate to at all lol

Yeah, they have a young professionals group in Blacksburg that I plan on joining! I hate meeting new people alone but I guess I'll have to step out of my comfort zone just so I won't be lonely! It's hard because finding young professional housemates isn't as easy when not in a big city... I don't feel like living with college students again

This is the problem, not the town - that you hate meeting new people. I have met new friends in a very small town and in cities.

As far as roommates, I found good situations without living with young professionals - you are more likely to find a couple who have an in-law apartment after mom or dad passed away, someone who lives in a two unit and want a professional person as a tenant, etc. I had a very good situation where a couple had two college aged students. One moved out for good and they rented out his room - had a lock that i only had the key to, etc. You will also find that you will start to make friends with women of a variety of ages. There are women who are newly divorced and have a house and want a roommate to help them afford it, as well. All sorts of situations. A studio apartment could possibly be your best bet. With the increase in pay and the cost of living less than NYC or Boston, don't underestimate getting a place by yourself.

This is the problem, not the town - that you hate meeting new people. I have met new friends in a very small town and in cities.

As far as roommates, I found good situations without living with young professionals - you are more likely to find a couple who have an in-law apartment after mom or dad passed away, someone who lives in a two unit and want a professional person as a tenant, etc. I had a very good situation where a couple had two college aged students. One moved out for good and they rented out his room - had a lock that i only had the key to, etc. You will also find that you will start to make friends with women of a variety of ages. There are women who are newly divorced and have a house and want a roommate to help them afford it, as well. All sorts of situations. A studio apartment could possibly be your best bet. With the increase in pay and the cost of living less than NYC or Boston, don't underestimate getting a place by yourself.

Yes, it is no doubt my problem about meeting new people. The thing about big cities is that I would most likely be living with housemates which makes it much easier to start meeting other people. But yeah, I will definitely have to step out of my comfort zone to meet people and I'm ready to do that. Just want to hear about some peoples experiences with this!

Yes, it is no doubt my problem about meeting new people. The thing about big cities is that I would most likely be living with housemates which makes it much easier to start meeting other people. But yeah, I will definitely have to step out of my comfort zone to meet people and I'm ready to do that. Just want to hear about some peoples experiences with this!

Its part of growing up to have your own friends vs having people that have to talk to you because they live with you, or making friends because they bring people over. I have had a roommate before - and you don't want to be in a situation where your social lives and circles are the same.

This is college, not professional thinking that roommates are your social life. If you need a house share situation fine, but as an adult don't look for the sorority type situation.

Make friends through pursuing your own interests and joining clubs, groups, volunteering, taking adult classes at the local college, cooking lessons, exercise classes, etc. "roomies" is kid stuff.

Also it doesn't matter if you move to Tokyo or Moose ,WY, you can be as lonely in the world's most populous city or a tiny town. Do some research on the place online to see what's going on there and blend into groups.

Y The thing about big cities is that I would most likely be living with housemates which makes it much easier to start meeting other people
I'm a little worried since I won't be moving to a big city such as Boston or DC so I feel like it'll be really hard to meet new people and make friends with other young professionals

I worked and lived in one of the mentioned cities. My life got 10x better when I was finally able to leave the city.

Unless you make a high dollar salary (government job, legal, executive jobs), there is no way you can financially make it because cost of living is astronomical. I had to live with two roommates and a fiancé in an overcrowded house and the living conditions were terrible. I was basically living in a slum off a teacher's salary (close to $50k) where we had a roach and near rat infestation problem. Also traffic in One of the mentioned cities is one of the top three worse in the entire country for commuting to work. People are excessively rude and aggressive during commuting hours.

Don't live somewhere just to meet people. Live where you can financially afford it and don't feel suffocated. I live in a rural beach community and have built good friendships with neighbors and coworkers.

I wouldn't overthink it before you can do all that much about it. Other than using the Internet to explore potential contacts, meetup groups (where meeting older people can benefit you socially--they have friends and adult children), activities, volunteer and civic groups, etc., I wouldn't spin into the negative. Instead, I'd plan a focus on my building my home and career, and I'd trust that I can seek and navigate available options over time.

Sometimes not having a ready-made social life stretches us and grows us in ways we can't anticipate. I'd relax into that rather than using my intelligence against myself to create unnecessary worry. Don't envy others for their locations--that projects fabulousness that may not be accurate while contrasting a negative onto your own unknowns. Instead, try psyching yourself with your own resilience and capabilities to turn ANY circumstances into the best possible outcome. If you can't make it as great as you'd wish, then consider it your foundational job as you seek another, and be grateful for the experience.

Not everyone can land a job in their field straight out of school. You've managed to pull that off, so I wouldn't knock that down with bummer thinking. Trust yourself to find the pearls, and approach the move with that goal in mind.

Head high, and congrAts!

Moving to a major city after grad school (late 20s, before that I lived 10 miles outside the city) made my social life what it was. I worked long hours and if I'd had to commute after that to go back into the city to meet someone for dinner or stay late and take an expensive or possibly unsafe cab/train,etc my motivation would have been very low. I knew I needed to be in the middle of the action if my goal was to eventually find a long term relationship which it was at that age. My friends who did not had a much harder time meeting people and appropriate people. I started dating someone a month after I moved there and it made it so much easier to see him. I met my husband originally at work and for most of our dating back then he ended up moving into the city too, from 10 miles away, about 10 blocks from me and again it made it so much easier to have a social life, see him, etc without an exhausting commute. And I was able to walk to work or take a quick bus ride.

I understand about work experience and career -I'd put in a few years in nowheresville and then look to relocate -no need to rush right now. At your age I did go into the city all the time but I didn't have my crazy hour job until after grad school so the commute wasn't as painful and I was younger/needed less sleep lol

Good luck!!

Archived