Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Family Rift because of Trump - PLEASE help.

leseine7
    thanks so much for the insights, everyone. I ALSO have been sick of the chaos and endless strings of political news lately, but I also believe it is important to be aware and to stand up when things are very hard. But regardless, I feel ya and I was trying to be safe in voicing those things among my friends and family, where they were also vocalising their statements.

My cousin is a very temperamental and aggressive person and we have had more than one falling out in the 32 years of being practically siblings. But we have also had some wonderful times and I have that loyalty thing in me when it comes to family.

For now, after discussing it with my other family members (my sister and brother, who have already voiced concerns about him and our other cousins), I decided to leave it alone and get space from that side of the family. He has chosen to close off and the message is clear he wants no communication so I will respect it. But it shook me miserably today and made me take a very hard look at my relationships with my family. In the end, I want less conflict, not more - and you guys are right that it would most likely provoke a heavy argument or something rather than a peaceful convo.

Fudgie
    I think you are right to leave it alone. Your cousins sounds reactive and kind of dim-witted. If you want to extend an olive branch later, that's up to you but I would wait for him to come to you first, since he was the one to sever contact, not you.

RainyCoast
    yeah i was thinking you weren't so much dealing with a person who takes issue with sociopolitical topics as a person with a tendency to go against people in general. i'm glad the rest of the family sees he can be quick to pull the trigger.

if he ever adopts a more pleasant approach to people, you may be able to continue the friendship. until then, i think you're right to leave it be.

faraday
    It's tough. I'm up in canada, so the politics aren't quite as relevant (we didn't vote in your election)...and these equality issues are the bone of contention in my relationship with my father. It's been crazy over the last year watching my dad turn into someone I don't know...I'm seeing racist and sexist comments coming from him where I didn't before...it's like now it's okay to say things- like thank god we don't have to be PC anymore. And I try to only talk about the humanitarian issues as well....but I still get fake news sent to me from my dad (like actual fake news- and I try to explain about sourcing news...and he responds that mainstream media all lies). It's really hard. I just want everyone to be treated with kindness and equality. I want my Muslim neighbours to be and feel safe. I want my gay friends and family to feel and be safe. I want myself, my daughter, my friends and family- to have choices in their lives, to be paid the same as men...I want my daughter to be safe when she older and drinking at parties...I don't want to have to teach my daughter the weariness that is necessary to prevent sexual assault.

But those things are too PC.

I know your struggle leseine, but I have no idea what you do about your cousin.

But I do wish you luck....and keep fighting for your friends and family...fight for the people that are too scared to fight back. This is a battle that we cannot lose.

Wiseman2
    Review your FB setting an only allow certain people to see certain things. Block anyone who flames you.
    Quote Originally Posted by leseine7 [Register to see the link]
    The family members in question ripped me a new one.

Coily
    Political discussions since about 2006 have really become just flame fests. What seems to make the difference is the tone in which the discussion starts, most Americans have become very pointed in accusing the opposition on even the most simple topics. There could be a point of agreement, but that so often gets blown out of proportion due to the dismissive attitude often taken.

Hyperbolic Example: Only dim-witted morons who hate hedgehogs say pah-tay-toe, thank science that Super George types like me say pah-taa-two.

Needless to say someone will feel attacked and react in a similar way, or more aggressively so they don't feel as backed into a corner. That said don't give up your way of stating opinion, but just ask yourself "Is this how I want someone with an opposing view treating me?

HeartGoesOn
    Thread closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Top Threads
Mom unsure about letting me travel overseas with friends? How to convince her?
So my friends and I started planning a trip to Germany next year (we're from the US). We're getting everything figured out and so far most of my
Feeling blue around a family member
I think I may be part of a narcissist family dynamic. Reasons being due to my own feelings and experiences, and from the responses from other posters
I don't feel emotionally available to my mother. Is that bad?
My mother currently lives with me and my girlfriend because she's been unable to find work and no one else is able to support. It's not ideal

Featured Threads
What eNotAlone gave you?
I wonder mostly about long-time members who decided to be a part of this community. Has this forum enriched your lives, and if so, in what
How to end things with him
Iíve been dating this guy for 2 months. In the beginning he was very sweet and romantic, however I learned in the last month or so that he is
My ex bf told me he wants sex, nudes and me to loan him money until he's stable... Should I lend $?
Hello.. I am 22 I met my ex bf (21) 3 years ago in college. He dropped out of college after the first semester.. he didn't go to finals. He stayed in
How Should I have handled it?
My GF and I were together for about 5 months. Things were great except for some of my questioning her online activity which challenged her. All
My Ex Husband still berates me
Hello, first off I am not sure why I am on a forum but.. I need an anonymous outlet I guess because my friends and family all say the same thing
Yall ready for a messed up one...
Okay, so i cheated on my bf about 6 month ms into our relationship with a guy 20 years older then me at our work. And it was a rule that it was only
Iím at a really bad state of mind right now
Itís been a little over the month since the breakup, since then, heís messaged me 2-3 times about random topics (that I donít care about), and has
Ask For Advice