Beth66

So yesterday I gave up my Green Cheek. He turns 7 on February 15 and I'm really going to miss him... I had to give him up because it was right for him. I'm working so much right now and school is so busy and from here it looks like it's only going to get worse. Yesterday I felt absolutely no emotion and the little bit I did feel was telling me I did the right thing. Today I've been depressed all day and I just miss him to death. I had him for all (almost) 7 years of his life. When I first got him he was so young I had to feed him with baby bird formula. I miss him so much. I know I did the right thing for him. I plan on moving out soon so it would have been him alone for the entire day until I get home from work then bed. It would have been really selfish to keep him like that. Now I just feel awful and all I can think about is him missing me and how much I miss him. He was such a great bird. I felt a lot of guilt keeping him with not enough attention for him. It's so hard. I've had him since I was so young, it feels weird not having him. I just wish I had the time to give him.

I'm so sorry It sounds like you did the right thing, but I know that it's heartbreaking. I had to give up a horse for the same reasons many years ago. Maybe the new owner would let you visit him? I visited my horse for a long while afterwards, and it kind of helped with the transition. I was able to see that he was being loved and well-cared for, and I knew I had done the right thing. I'm sorry this happened, I know it's a very sad thing. Hugs.

I gave up my Quaker parrot too for the same reason. Full time school and work took a major toll and he became aggressive.

I feel you but it will get better. You definitely did the right thing. I do not recommend going to visit the bird because you will not get over what you did and will want him back. Let it be.

these birds require so much stimulation and quality time that if you don't have it, it absolutely has the effect of neglect on them. like another poster said, they can get aggressive, depressed, and even self-harm (injuries on chest are frequent, they literally beak themselves). you absolutely did the right thing. when you remember him, remember you spared him that. some people are so possessive they'll hold on to an animal who clearly suffers because of what the owner can't provide, for their own comfort. you had his needs in mind first.

the sadness will linger a while. hugs.

To anyone thinking about getting a parrot:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH. Raising a parrot takes a lifetime commitment. If you are living a stable life and are absolutely 110% sure that you're not planning to go back to school or work long hours that requires limited time with your pet, then it's ok to get a bird. But realize that life plans can always change and a parrot can outlive you.

Parrots can live 20-50 years or more, and it requires absolute dedication to raise one. I had a parakeet that has the average lifespan of 8-10 years- she lived up to 15 years because I took very good care of her. They are wild animals- they are never truly domesticated and therefore can have very unpredictable behaviors- one day they are a happy little ray of sunshine... then the next day a raging B**.

Parrots are also the SMARTEST animals on the planet (more intelligent than dolphins)- which means parrots are extremely mischievous, resentful, and can form very complex bonds with only ONE person. I always loved that because birds are very quirky, but it's not always rainbows because they can easily turn if you piss it off. An owner has to REALLY know how to "read" parrots, and it's not easy like reading dog or cat behaviors. You have to always be one step ahead of them. I have had my bird escape in the neighborhood three times (and got LUCKY he came back) because he knew how to break out of his cage.

Since parrots have a one-person preference, this will be a problem if an owners has to surrender a bird to someone else. I have worked at a wildlife rehab center that took in birds of prey that were either found injured in the wild or were taken as illegal pets. I have been clawed and bitten by owls, hawks, and a vulture that were illegally raised by humans because they have bonded with that person. They can't live on their own in the wild and I couldn't take them to do animal educational programs because they would attack the handlers.

I'm not saying this to scare people off from getting a parrot, but they are not beginner's pets. They require a ton of commitment and patience than raising a dog/cat. I love working with birds and am planning to get one once my life is more settled, but I am holding out until I have more stability with career, finances, and time.

Archived