Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Shattered confidence

  1. #11
    eNotUser
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by evad1 [Register to see the link]
    You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present. kung fu panda Not to sound corny but it's so true. One day you're going to die so you gotta get it together so you'll have something memorable to leave behind. I don't know you but I'm in a sucky place too in my life and I decided recently I can't keep living like this. I'm trying new things constantly and opening myself up to the world not so much to people lol. Maybe you can go back to school?
    At my age with three degrees I have no intention on ever returning to University. The main problem is that after everything in graduate school I really closed off and have been almost entirely isolated from everyone. On one hand I like not having to worry about trying to mess with social dynamics. On the other it would be nice to have someone to do something with. Outside of work I don't really speak to people beyond the absolute minimums to maintain life in contemporary society (cashiers at stores, dealing with tech support, etc)

  2. #12
    evad1
    Bronze Member evad1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    266
    Thanked
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by eNotUser [Register to see the link]
    At my age with three degrees I have no intention on ever returning to University. The main problem is that after everything in graduate school I really closed off and have been almost entirely isolated from everyone. On one hand I like not having to worry about trying to mess with social dynamics. On the other it would be nice to have someone to do something with. Outside of work I don't really speak to people beyond the absolute minimums to maintain life in contemporary society (cashiers at stores, dealing with tech support, etc)


    I wouldn't go back to school either lol. I see the problem. Join a forum. I joined a car forum recently. I currently have no way of meeting new people. I have to say even though it's not a In person thing it is so nice to have people to talk that share the same interest. There are apps you can use to meet friends I tried one lol it sounds kind of sad but you do meet cool people online. It's better than being alone with your own thoughts. No one is going to judge you because everyone is there for the same reason.

  3. #13
    eNotUser
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    8
    My major problem is that I have no real confidence. I can't even "fake it" without feeling like a failure. So I tend to shut down and close off entirely. I can't figure out how to get out of this mindset.

  4. #14
    Lovelorn2016
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    44
    Thanked
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by eNotUser [Register to see the link]
    In 2012 I attended graduate school and a series of events during my time there which included relationships completely shattered my confidence. It was so bad that I had to drop out of the PhD program because continuing there was simply to embarrassing to continue there given my status as one of the "losers" so-to-speak. My academics were great and there was no problem getting scholarships and a stipend, but it was too humiliating to stay there. So I grabbed my master degree and in the workplace I can barely function. I'm out of place, I don't fit in, my performance is abysmal by my standards (I won the best research award for the department in Mol. Bio. and I felt as though my research wasn't that great so my standards are a bit high).

    I don't know how to snap out of it because my life is really crumbling underneath my feet. The level of misery in my life has never been this great.
    I've been sorta going through a similar situation, but it sounds like your situation may be a bit more urgent. I know it's hard to make that first call to maybe get evaluated by a professional, but if you have the courage in you to do that, it would be your most successful way to solve this issue. Otherwise there are always self help books out there that may or may not be the answer.

  5. Thanks evad1 thanked for this post
  6. #15
    evad1
    Bronze Member evad1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    266
    Thanked
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by eNotUser [Register to see the link]
    My major problem is that I have no real confidence. I can't even "fake it" without feeling like a failure. So I tend to shut down and close off entirely. I can't figure out how to get out of this mindset.
    That sounds kind of like me. My supervisor is always telling me to stop overthinking before I speak. When I don't over think though I always end up telling a really bad joke lol. You sound smart. What are you into? Are you going to be tuning in for the super bowl?

  7. #16
    eNotUser
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by evad1 [Register to see the link]
    That sounds kind of like me. My supervisor is always telling me to stop overthinking before I speak. When I don't over think though I always end up telling a really bad joke lol. You sound smart. What are you into? Are you going to be tuning in for the super bowl?
    Yeah I've heard that advice to. It is good but hard to implement if you're inside your head too much. I'm not watching the Super Bowl and I live in Houston! The city is a bit crazy over it. Right now I recently bought an old school Game Boy to play games and try to have fun like I did in my childhood. Currently I'm not persuing any intellectual endeavors although there are a few books I want to read including The Gulag Archipelago

  8. #17
    evad1
    Bronze Member evad1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    266
    Thanked
    85
    I can imagine. I live in Atlanta so The pride over here lol. Football isn't for everyone lol. What are you into? I'm looking forward to the NASCAR series coming up? The gray game boy?!?! What games do you have? I still have my old game boy color and it still works!!!!

  9. #18
    evad1
    Bronze Member evad1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    266
    Thanked
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by eNotUser [Register to see the link]
    Yeah I've heard that advice to. It is good but hard to implement if you're inside your head too much. I'm not watching the Super Bowl and I live in Houston! The city is a bit crazy over it. Right now I recently bought an old school Game Boy to play games and try to have fun like I did in my childhood. Currently I'm not persuing any intellectual endeavors although there are a few books I want to read including The Gulag Archipelago
    I may have to read this now. Looks like a very interesting read. lol I haven't really don4 much reading since college.

  10. #19
    eNotUser
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by evad1 [Register to see the link]
    I can imagine. I live in Atlanta so The pride over here lol. Football isn't for everyone lol. What are you into? I'm looking forward to the NASCAR series coming up? The gray game boy?!?! What games do you have? I still have my old game boy color and it still works!!!!
    It's actually the Game Boy Advance. There were a lot of fun games on it. Recently I've been working so much (~55 hours a week) I don't have time for much. I've been trying to just relax by doing much of nothing.

  11. #20
    evad1
    Bronze Member evad1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    266
    Thanked
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by eNotUser [Register to see the link]
    It's actually the Game Boy Advance. There were a lot of fun games on it. Recently I've been working so much (~55 hours a week) I don't have time for much. I've been trying to just relax by doing much of nothing.
    Messaged you!

  12.  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Top Threads
Ritalin
Hello...I live in Ontario Canada.. Noe sure if anyone on here is familiar with medical protocol. I have a 24 year old son.. Was diagnosed with CAPD
I keep watching movies and reading books for children, do you think it's normal?
Hey, I turned 21 this summer, I finished my bachelor degree and I can say that I'am at that point in my life where I don't know what I want in life
What do you do to make yourself feel good?
I posted yesterday about a weird situation with a guy I was involved with. Tonight I asked him outright if he was back with his ex, he told me it's
Over eating and stressed
I posted about my father has cancer and is declining. I also recently lost my job because my car broke down. I call friends to talk about anything
Feeling lost, like I don't know myself anymore needs help!
Hi all. I'll try keep this short. I need some help right now I'm feeling so lost. I've went through a lot the past year and a half. I had to

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
The ex that wouldn't go away
I am engaged to the woman of my dreams. After a couple dates I told everyone I was going to marry her. She told her friends the same. My only hang up
Crying
IM A 63 YEAR OLD WOMAN ,and my life has turned upside down. I cry day and night. For some damn reason I'm lost , alone and just cant figure things
SO (girl of 23) doubting our relationship, won't let go of ex
So currently going through a very complicated situation with my SO. I started seeing this girl in November of last year, while she was still with
My friend has no life...No job and currently lives at home. At nearly 30
One of my very good friends has always been the impressionable type. When I encouraged her to have stronger boundaries, to be less passive and to
Ex is getting married
Hi, I went into no contact with my ex around 14 weeks ago. I had decided that there's nothing left for me to do or say that would bring her back to
Friendless and Lonely
Hi all, I've decided to turn to an online forum for advice on a current friendship issue. I want to say thank you in advance to those who take the
Swapping childcare, she stopped responding...
Background: I struggle with intimacy and relationships in general. Coming from abuse and neglect means I've always struggled with trusting others
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •