How to deal with the office suck up?

Co worker consistently sucks up to the bosses when they come around. All of the bosses are great. They stop by our office and sit and chat briefly to catch up. But every time they come around to her, it's like she primping and posing for them, laughng loudly at their jokes, cracking jokes with them, even inviting them out for lunch. And sometimes the bosses pull me in with her and you can see how big she smiles and draws attention to herself. She'll even talk to the other members of the team about how she went out with the bosses for drinks or had lunch with them previously, etc. Granted, she's easy on the eyes and very social, but I find it a bit shady. Lately, I find it annoying and very fake. Very frustrating! Lately, too she seems to befriend other members in a department and then she moves to the next department the ditches the previous members...almost like a flavor of the month friend. In my mind, you just don't act that way or treat people like that.

It this the same coworker? All you can do is ignore her brown nosing and hope they see through it.

I'm a (male) manager and also friends with another (female) manager. We are (or were) very close friends and friends only.We're both married and our spouses have no objections to the friendship. Recently, we were scheduled to get together and she completely blew me off, and it wasn't the first time...actually, the 3rd time. That's a deal breaker for me. I wasn't happy with her at all.

Going to have to deal with people you don't like.

Just be civil and do you.

AN older guy I work with told me not to be a hero, be friendly and fly slightly under the radar and don't get involved with drama.

He has been here for over 30 years , nobody bothers him and he has gotten multiple promotions..

I think I will stick with his advice because its been working so far.

I do my job, im friendly, I stay away from drama and just do me.

Going to have to deal with people you don't like.

Just be civil and do you.

AN older guy I work with told me not to be a hero, be friendly and fly slightly under the radar and don't get involved with drama.

He has been here for over 30 years , nobody bothers him and he has gotten multiple promotions..

I think I will stick with his advice because its been working so far.

I do my job, im friendly, I stay away from drama and just do me.

that is the exact, no fail recipe.

it's just bothering you on an egoic level OP. i can see why honestly. but this is the stuff you want to learn to let go.

that is the exact, no fail recipe.

it's just bothering you on an egoic level OP. i can see why honestly. but this is the stuff you want to learn to let go.

I literally deal with it everyday lol. I even posted something. I work with a guy who is a perv POS. but

when the boss is around he sucks up so much. I wish the boss knew who my co worker really was

but there is nothing I can do but keep focused on myself and improving myself...

Different co worker. Manager in another "arm" of the larger division. It started to grate on my nerves when the teams and other managers in the division were having drinks and she kept telling everyome how she went here with one boss and had lunch with the other and on and on.

The situation with the one mentioned in your screen cap has since resolved. In that case, we both apologized and preserved the working relationship and we do still do very well. We no longer socialize outside of work now and any social interactions at work have to do with work only. For instance, if we get lunch together it's a working lunch. We don't talk about home or our weekends or plans for the evening.

Work has been tense lately so I've used this forum for additional perspective.

Different co worker. Manager in another "arm" of the larger division. It started to grate on my nerves when the teams and other managers in the division were having drinks and she kept telling everyome how she went here with one boss and had lunch with the other and on and on.

The situation with the one mentioned in your screen cap has since resolved. In that case, we both apologized and preserved the working relationship and we do still do very well. We no longer socialize outside of work now and any social interactions at work have to do with work only. For instance, if we get lunch together it's a working lunch. We don't talk about home or our weekends or plans for the evening.

Work has been tense lately so I've used this forum for additional perspective

I think you're being very judge mental. Perhaps she's just networking. Building relationships with people. (She may be a ditz but I'm not going to assume that having never met her). I do the same thing she does. I have a great relationship with my boss and many other department leads at my job. And I know if I ever leave, or they do, I will always have the option to come back or follow them if I want to. Because they remember me, and know me, and have a relationship with me. Sometimes being great at your work isn't enough. Sometimes you have to have "connections" and someone to say "yes, I know her, and she does great work and is easy to work with."

Perhaps you should learn from her.

Work has been tense lately so I've used this forum for additional perspective

sounds awful. Nobody wants to think about work during lunch. I would rather eat alone.

One the rare occasion that someone irks me, I try to figure out why--but I start with myself. Maybe there's something too similar, competitive or egotistical in me, or, maybe I'm jealous of something about them.

When I can keep an open mind, this feeling goes away with time and familiarity because I make the extra effort to be kind. If I end up feeling stung by them, then I can let go and relax, because I've been careful not to project my own 'stuff' onto them, and they've just confirmed that we are not a good mix.

I can think of only one person in 10 years who bothered me this way at work. She invaded my space in the locker room and gym, she disrupted me with her chaotic energy. I kept my mouth shut about it because I felt guilty--she had just overcome cancer. Well, the day she was fired, the whole locker room expressed a big sigh of relief, because everyone else had been feeling the same way.

So when someone is a true disaster, trust that they will hang themselves at some point, and without any investment from you. Keep your eyes on your own paper, and outlast her.

Head high.

• 3 weeks later...
Other people will see through her soon enough... don't worry.

I've got a new office suck up as well. I think she's a girl who always wanted to be popular when she was in high school but it never happened. While she drives me nuts, she doesn't "own" any business processes after a three months which isn't a good thing. Also, I've seen the quality of her work output and its not impressive.

Archived