Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cat won't stop itching ears

Thanks. I think I will get a second opinion. When I told the vet that my kitty was still very itchy even after taking the allergy pill, she suggested I try a different brand of allergy pill. So, I tried a couple different types but she still itched. I really don't think an allergy pill/anti-histamine is going to work. Ahhhh, so second opinion here we go.

Thanks. I just decided I'm getting a second opinion. The vet looked in each of her ears with a scope/light device. I assume she was checking for mites or other parasite and didn't find anything. I look at her ears and do not see any brown specs, fluids oozing, nor is there any odor. There are however a few small red spots on her skin, but I assume it is irritation from scratching? Don't know, but the vet should have known. I get the feeling this vet thinks I'm a "nervous new mother" and she is shrugging off my concerns.
    The last few weeks, I've also noticed she is scratching around her neck. Ugh!
    Also, when I rub my hand around her cheeks and pet her there, she leans into me immediately and closes her eyes like she is really getting some relief. I used to think she just like being pet around her ears/cheek, but perhaps it is more? Thanks.

scratching around her neck.
    that is an infection then. something is nomnomming on her skin. my dog had a few spots on his head that were itchy and baldy like the ear too. the vet never bothered finding out what it was and it sucked to use home remedies on something that deserves medical attention but the coconut oil did the trick.

found a great vet afterwards.

if they don't listen and check, pay someone who does.

Thanks. How did you use the coconut oil? Apply it directly to the skin, or as an additive in the food bowl?

i used it on the skin and also applied some on the inside of the ear (melted it, dipped a ball of cotton wool in it). i repeated that i think twice a day, more if he kept scratching.

putting a bit in her food sounds like a good idea too!

Sounds like she just has Ear Mits. I am surprised that no one has thought of this.

Platinum Member
    Welcome to my world, or my cat's world. My cat has allergies, and without medication she itches her ears and loses her fur. I give her an allergy med called Atopica. It takes a few weeks to make a difference. And there is no way she will eat her food if I put it in there. I have to wrap her up in a towel, give her the pill, then shoot a bit of water to help her swallow it.

feel the area. is it slightly warmer then the surrounding area? if so she may have hot spots. my cats have been getting them around the base of their tails and along their spine. they were ripping the fur out where it was warm and i assumed that was to try to cool it off. the dont have fleas so i knew that wasnt the problem. ive used coconut oil and olive oil as an inexpensive way to treat it. both are non toxic if the cat licks it and help with moisturizing the area. also if she has scratches and wounds around the area the oils can help heal them and ease the itching

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice