Boss' Peculiar Behavior

ChellyV

I need help on how to respond / react on my Boss' peculiar behavior. He is new at our department, the 4th manager assigned to us for the past year!! Our department is complex, a staff of 1400 (just this department), so imagine how much work my Boss' has on his plate.

* There is a staff of 2 that come in the office early, I am 1 of them. This is around 6 AM. Shortly after I arrive everyday, my Boss' would send me "good morning emails. His office is quite a walk from my cubicle so I have no idea how would he know I am in.

* He would send me bible verses everyday, though I have expressed that I like receiving them.

* He would tell me things that normally, other managers will not share, ie. how he reacted to another person's complaint towards the company.

* He would call me every morning on my direct line (something he doesn't do with the other staff), just to chat and have small talk. Almost everyday, he would walk into my cubicle to say hi and have small conversation. When I would ask what is up, he would say, I just want to see you and say good morning.

* He has confided in me that he finds his assistant inept. Something I do not know how to react to.

* He has once told me that we think alike and we would get along as manager-assistant. I asked, how do you know that (meaning, we only know each other for over a month, my work load hardly landing to his desk as it lands to someone else's. I am a low maintenance employee, my work load is pretty light therefore there is no reason for delay or even inaccuracy.). While this might be his personal choice, union restrictions prohibits any lateral movement just because (as opposed to the private sector). To my knowledge, he had not done anything to move forward with this.

* He called me once when I got an offer from another department, saying I do not want to lose you in this team. With this though, I made it clear that there is no room for growth for me in this department and I have reached a point where I am ready to move on. Later on, he did say on email that he cannot stop me from growing.

* He would stop his car tand park at a coffee shop when he sees me and my friend are there to pick up our coffee, and he would tell the owner he will pay for it.

* And most recently, he called me to work from home on a particular day. The next day, he asks, where are you?

I am puzzled. I do like this manager, I will support him to succeed. Just do not know how to react. My gut feel is that he has some "liking" towards me, which truthfully, sometimes leads to sexual tension when we are in the same room, something I do not welcome and want to avoid. Or maybe I am imagining things??!!

Archived