Disengaged Boyfriend

RuthArn

I'm a widow and have been dating a man for about 1.5 years. We are both very busy with children in our lives, jobs, etc. He is very nice but when we're not together, it's out of sight out of mind.

My mother went into hospice less than two weeks ago. I'm an only child. Truly heartbreaking. Long story.

Since this harrowing series of events, I've sent a few supportive texts and emails. For days passed with literally no response. I thought perhaps this was too much so he was bailing. And, I realized I wasn't exactly sad.

Then, I finally got a benign text telling me a blurb about his life. Yesterday he called and vaguely asked about my mom.

I think he truly thinks we're fine.

I feel that I need to move on as this disengagement is bizarre and unpredictable.

I'm low maintenance. I do everything for my children, myself and love my friends. I just need a text, an email, a kind word here and there throughout the week.

I think being alone beats being alone with somebody.

I guess I need to initiate a break up.

I'm sorry, OP. It sounds like you are under a lot of stress right now.

It seems your boyfriend has checked out of the relationship. A man who truly wants to be in your life won't let days of silence pass.

I agree that you will better off on your own, then lonely and in an unsatisfying relationship.

Archived