HELP unhealthy state of mind

Xenia

Hi, my ex broke up with me 3 months ago, but hes on my mind LITERALLY 24/7 i am not even overreacting. Nothing distracts me, not even gym, school, being with friends, going out.... what should i do, have anybody been thru this and how did you guys recovered?

Sorry to hear this. How long were you dating? do you have to see him at school?

Make sure you stay no contact and delete and block him and any of his people from all social media.

Get on some dating apps and start to browse and when you are ready, start meeting guys for coffee.

Hi, my ex broke up with me 3 months ago.

A few things that will help. And these have to do with removing any and everything that would be a trigger point.

1. Get rid of *everything* that reminds you of him. Box up mementos for good, other things either trash or bring to goodwill.

2. Don't visit places the two of you frequented or that have sentimental value. Don't even drive past them if you can help it. Find a new route (this may even help exploring new places)

3. Social media - I'm not saying don't use it; though unplugging from it for a while is good but at least unplug him from it.

These are some of the things that helped me; as if they were dead to me and processing it as the death of a loved one. That and time.

Best thing that has been working for me is time. Yes, time and I am still in the process. I had my ex on my mind 24/7 as well, 7 days a week. But, it's getting less, I'm happy to say. I'm going on 6 months, I started therapy, re-arranged my apt, painted, caught up with old acquaintances, got closer to family members and engaged in some creative outlets. For me it has been a slow process, I think. But, it is diff for everyone. There were moments when it was downright torturous, but I kept trudging along, still am. I still have ways to go, but I'm trying to be gentle on my myself and let myself feel the feelings. My suggestion to you is keep doing what you're doing, maybe add a some extra activities and recreation, get rest, be gentle with yourself, and consider taking the suggestions of other's who have been through the same things. Post on here and talking about your feelings help and sometimes helps lessen the thoughts as well. Hang in there, somedays will be better than other's. For me it has been one step forward, two steps back, but that's okay, I'm getting there little by little, one day at a time and you will too.

omg people told me i was overreacting when i told them i had him on my mind 24/7, happy to hear i am not the only one... its like hes a black dog on my mind i cant do anything without having him pop in my mind 2 seconds after... i am going to see a psychologist in two days.. did it help you tho? now that you are at 6 months does the 24/7 still applies or you think a bit less of him and you can actually get distracted?

I found it most helpful to focus on my friends and family with extra care to make our time about THEM, not me. I made it my goal to surprise everyone, including myself, with my resilience by making an extra effort to create good memories for the people I love.

Since I couldn't enjoy much at the time, I could at least devote myself to making others feel important and valued. I helped with their home projects, errands, cleaning, meal prep, or I treated them to something or just spent time with them. Sure, ex was in the back of my mind, but I flipped a switch to make the people in front of me more important than sulking about him. This strengthened my bonds with people I had neglected, and in the process it made me feel useful, valuable and important.

The idea was to get out of my own way and to teach my loved ones to NOT worry about me. So the more I 'performed' to fake my way through being okay, the more appreciation I felt for those in my life who matter. The ex became more and more irrelevant as I became a great listener and a better friend.

Emotions follow behaviors, not the other way around. If I waited until I 'felt like' doing half the stuff I did, I'd have been digging a bigger hole to climb out of.

Head high, and invest in other relationships right now. You'll thank yourself later.

Archived