Difficult Grandma/Landlord

AshB

My fiance and I recently moved to South Carolina from Indiana. We decided to move into a guest house on the same lot as my grandma's house that she used to rent out to other people. We decided this because she's charging us a much lower rent than we would be paying if we had moved into any other place. We planned on only staying here long enough to get our bearings in this new state and then move on.

We arrived here on Jan 4 and are already having some problems with her.

She has knocked on our door around 10 am twice, waking us up out of bed, just to remind us about little things like coupons for the grocery store. That's ok now and then, but she made a comment while in my waking up stupor about how we can't sleep all day if we are going to get anything productive done. I just let it go in one ear and out the other.

The other day, she called the house phone while I was at work, and apparently my fiance was still asleep and didn't answer the phone. Later that day, she came down on me sternly with a lecture about him still not having a job.

"Ashley...you need to tell him that he needs to get out of bed and look for a job. He won't accomplish anything as long as he's sleeping all day. And he needs to answer the phone when I call. It could be an emergency."

I told her that he is in fact putting in applications and has 2 interviews this week.

Then I tried to explain to her that for several years he worked a 3rd shift job in Indiana and that's what sleeping pattern he become accustomed to.

Then yesterday, I went over to deliver her mail to her, and she asked me several questions about his work ethic, history, qualifications, and was critical of the fact that he doesn't have a legit career at his age.

This is starting to get on my nerves. I don't understand why this is such a great concern to her. She has already gotten her rent money for the month. She doesn't need to be lecturing us like we are kids. We've only been here two weeks and I feel like she's overstepping our personal boundaries.

I love my grandma, but I am scared this is only the beginning of a grizzly living situation.

I guess I am debating on how to handle our next conversation where she pushes my boundaries. She I be firm with her and tactfully let her know that we will handle our business just fine, or should I say, "Yes I understand" and take it with a grain of salt?

Think of it from her POV. She's charging you lower rent - good for you, bad for her. She's quite honestly doing you a favor. It's reasonable to want you and him to have a job.

And, honestly, I don't know many adults who sleep in until 10. That's not traditionally considered early. It would be different if it were pre-8.

You can leave and pay more rent or stay and put up with her quirks. But they are relatively harmless.

Archived