Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm a prisoner.

Cheetarah
    Platinum Member
    But there's preschool..Where do you live? Go through the public school district.

You know what I do when my mom watches my son...I run out the door like the wind. Because I am tired and need a break. 4 year olds are heathens, no matter how damn cute and squishy their cheeks are. It doesn't matter if your dad is playing video games. Actually I'm impressed, because sometimes when I post here for FIVE minutes I have a kid hanging off my back or occasionally something gets thrown at my head. Or freaking toys plopped in my coffee. If he can pull off a video game with a 4 year old around, that's skill.

I don't know what you want. When my mom watches my son(like tonight), I hook them up with a few bucks for take out, or buy stuff for ice cream sundaes, etc. I can't do a babysitter, either. My mom won't take $ from me but you don't have to pull her leg to eat some ice cream, and it's something that they both can indulge in. Do something like that? It's not going to break the bank.

qwaspolk82
    Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AikoTanaka [Register to see the link]
    Hello everyone, I'm a young mother. Very capable of doing things on my own however, my family was struggling at home financially. So I moved in to help my mother and father. The agreement was that they would watch my child while I worked ( 9-6 Monday to Friday) and all I had to do was pay rent. So I thought sweet I get to be back home with my family. However things didn't turn out like I thought.. it's been a year since I moved in and I'm hardly ever able to leave my house other then to go to work. In case you're wondering yes when I get home from work all my time is spent with my son. But sometimes I'd like to go out, for coffee with friends or shopping. However I get a lecture for being gone all the time and I'm being told I'm a horrible mother. Things have gotten so bad I feel depressed and I dread coming back home after work. I know if I left they'd be struggling again.. I just don't know what to do. I just want to throw in the towel.. what should I do? I'm afraid of losing my family again but I also want to be free.
    Your focus should be on your child. Not your parents. Do you have other siblings who can help?

They don't sound like much of family if they're dogging you and you're helping them out. It's not worth it to be miserable. I'd move back out and tell them to deal with things on their own. Do you want your child to grow up seeing you like that?

You are not a prisoner. You are an adult you don't have to stay there.

3. Thanks agent thanked for this post
    qwaspolk82
    Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ale2010 [Register to see the link]
    Your a grownup with a child so that means no more going out ! They need quality time with you too especially with your son!
    Um no. Parents are entitled to going out and getting a break once in awhile. Are you kidding me? You think once you are a parent that means you can't ever have some alone time or be an adult or hang out with other adults??? Give me a break. There's a big difference between going out for coffee with a friend once a month or so and out partying every night.

qwaspolk82
    Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RainyCoast [Register to see the link]
    how did you make ends meet and provide the son childcare before you moved in with them?

??
    It seems like now she's paying for a multitude of people in the house. Not just her and her parents and her kid. Before she was just paying for herself and her kid.

6. Thanks RainyCoast thanked for this post
    abitbroken
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qwaspolk82 [Register to see the link]
    Um no. Parents are entitled to going out and getting a break once in awhile. Are you kidding me? You think once you are a parent that means you can't ever have some alone time or be an adult or hang out with other adults??? Give me a break. There's a big difference between going out for coffee with a friend once a month or so and out partying every night.
    No - parents are entitled to provide food and shelter for their children and to ensure they are living in a safe environment. Then they can have a coffee.

Sometimes you do what you have to do. There are times in your life where no - you don't go out because of time or money. What about taking your child out with you on a weekend afternoon to grab a coffee to go and to go to the park? What about coming home half an hour later on one day during the week to go sit with your coffee?

My parents never got a night out when I was young because they were struggling to make ends meet. My mom lost touch with a lot of friends because most of her friends were single and in college or in the work world. If her friends were a bit older/more mature in their view and already had a kid at home they might be open to stopping by for lunch or coffee but the other 19-21 year olds wanted to go to the bar. My dad worked two jobs. He worked midnights full time and then worked during the day 3/4 time. They had one car, which was obviously gone for all but a couple hours in a 24 hour period. There was just no money except what went into rent and food. My mom either struggled to fit into prepregnancy clothes or wore my dad's shirts after she had me until she could afford to get something new. I wore hand me downs except what Grandma and Grandpa gave me as a Christmas outfit or always bought me shoes for my birthday if I needed them that year because you can't always wear hand me down shoes. they have to fit.

When I was older, yes, they could afford to go out with their friends or mom got coffee with her friends. But that took awhile.

You are just at a season in life where its time to work and come home to your child and you get extras once your child doesn't depend on your folks (you are able to drop them off at a tumbling class for awhile to walk next door to get a coffee) or you have the money to afford the privelege of doing so (you move out and have a trustworthy babysitter).

Forget going for coffee and come up with a plan where you can afford to move - even if you find another single mom as a roommate. My cousin was in a living situation where she had a roommate but had reduced rent because part of the agreement was that she babysat twice a week so her roommate could have some breathing room away from her kid. The kid went to preschool and day care when the mom was working, but the roommate who was the mom had my cousin watch her child once or twice a week in the evening so she could get grocery shopping and just a break.

RainyCoast
    Quote Originally Posted by qwaspolk82 [Register to see the link]
    It seems like now she's paying for a multitude of people in the house. Not just her and her parents and her kid. Before she was just paying for herself and her kid.
    that's what i figured. i was wondering whether behind her implied excuse that it is difficult for her to pay for everything on her own, was actually an unhealthy sense of indebtedness to her parents, their guilt-tripping or something similar.

i am assuming she would be happier and less stressed on her own.

looks like she left the building though.

HeartGoesOn
    Where is this child's father? Also, why is he not paying child support?

10. Thanks Wiseman2 thanked for this post
    jennylove
    Platinum Member
    I'm not a parent but I have plenty of friends who are and I have always observed their situations from afar and quietly. Most of the "kids" are in high school now.

I can tell you this much and you take it how you want. I have a friend who was a young single mom, struggling. Like you, she depended on family at first. But it didn't pan out. So she moved out into low income housing, aka,section8. Eventually, she got an education and was able to support herself without help. She really took a beating from friends/family about she and her child living in a studio apartment on air mattresses. They lived like this for years. She got sick of the drama and cut everyone off who wasn't supportive. I'd say she raised her daughter for 14 years at poverty level. And then she became lower middle class which is where she remains. Although her daughter was raised in poverty without grandparents or much family around, my friend did her best to make her life happy by spending quality time with her, teaching her how to cook, bake, sew, coaching her thru life, being there for her. That girl is the most well-adjusted and happy girl I know. She got a full scholarship to college and looks forward to seeing her mom at holidays to volunteer at the homeless shelter.

Another friend had a kid at the same time. That kid was raised in a nice house, went to a good school,etc. but her parents were never home. Eventually the parents divorced and step parents came into the picture, and still, no quality time was spent with that child. Nobody seemed to bash the parents though, probably because it looked like they were going good from the outside: nice houses, nice jobs, educated, nice cars, nice neighborhood. Well that child is also college age and she's just a mess. Always has been.

I'm a firm believer in it's the happiness inside the house that makes happy kids. With that, do whatever it takes to move out. Even if it's a studio with section 8. Make it into a home and do the best you can with what you have. You may live poorly but that's ok.

12. Thanks RainyCoast, Cheetarah thanked for this post
    RainyCoast
    I'm a firm believer in it's the happiness inside the house that makes happy kids.
    i love this entire post so much.

definitely, children will be way better adjusted if they are in an encouraging home, it even neutralizes austerity and past trauma.

a family who provides some financial comfort (and from the post it's still hard to tell if hasn't indeed become costlier for her to live with her parents) but where that financial comfort comes at the price of dynamics marked by a sense of martyrdom, resentment, powerlessness, toxicity...is way worse on a child than coupons and second hand stuff from charities.

jennylove
    Platinum Member
    Yes yes yes!!!

I also have a friend who now has a 10 year old. My friend is a RN and the father owns a small sandwich shop. They are both still married and doing well financially. Are you ready for this next part? I looove this story! They have the means to send their kid to a good school. And they did during the child's kindergarten year, she went to a high end catholic school. They are Catholic and will always send her to Catholic school. But they decided that they didn't like how spoiled and entitled the others kids were and they didn't want their daughter around that. They enrolled her into a low income catholic school on "the other side of the tracks" and it's been the best experience. The daughter is humble. She doesn't have much even though her parents can afford it, and they take her shopping at goodwill. She's humble and thankful for what she does have because she definitely has more than most her classmates: her own bedroom, a bicycle, stuff like that. she and her classmates spend the night with eachother and they actually play outside together, they aren't playing with their computer or Xbox like other kids because they don't have it or ask for it.

I'm pretty sure that she is going to end up very happy, well-adjusted, humble and successful in life.

15. Thanks ~Seraphim ~ thanked for this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Top Threads
Possible CPS call? Boyfriend disagrees.
Had a recent visit with my partner's family and things have really taken a turn for the worse for them. The toilet/water AGAIN wasn't working for a
Am I actually as bad as she makes out?
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and forums in general, I need some un biased opinions as my family and friends all back me but my girlfriend's friends
My son has a crush!
Just wanted to share, I think it's delightful.... Son is almost 10. His iPad is connected to his father's iPad, so we've known that among the

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
My (ex?) girlfriend has anorexia and it probably destroyed our relationship - what to do?
Hello. I would like to tell my story. I am a 22 year-old male dating an 18 year-old female, though we have probably broken up today. This is
Question about how I should handle the finances in my marriage
I recently married my bf of 5 years and we are expecting a baby early next year. Since then I've found out some rather disturbing things about his
married now found out she cheated while we were dating Im so confused help
We have been married 2 years and dated a long time before we were married (16yrs) 5 years into our relationship my wife , then gf went on a cruise
Wanting To Be With Loved One In After-Life
Has anyone who has ever lost a loved one with whom they were extremely close and loved dearly ever thought about taking his/her own life so as to be
Does everyone have some positive qualities?
Since the day I had been dumped (got dumped in April and after all the failed efforts to reconcile, accepted his decision in mid July). I feel I am a
I it wrong to date my sister's ex boyfriend?
My sister was dating a guy for two month, and me and her bf start being friends until they broke up.....i have feelings for him and he also loves me
She left me because she thinks I'm dumb
I have been in relationship with this girl and moved to her country 3 months ago and lately things are going pretty bad and she is seeking for a
Ask For Advice