I'm worried someone I care for might have a drug problem

A former significant other who I remained good friends with has been worrying me as of late. When she was prescribed Klonopin some days she would take a higher dose than prescribed and start arguments with me over what was seemingly nothing, it also seemed to affect her judgement and memory significantly. I had to come over her house and babysit her last month when she took too much of Ativan. Last night she took too much and got in an argument with me and when I tried to reason with her this morning she called me in a very bad state. She told me she took too much and she wasn't feeling well and her Mom told her she needed to go to rehab for the 2nd time this year. When I told her I thought she should get help her phone died, not being able to get a hold of her and being concerned for her safety I called 911. She freaked out on me for reacting like that, worrying she would go to a 72 hour facility. It made me incredibly upset that she was so angry at me for my concern and I kept trying to talk to her even though she was angry. Eventually she calmed down and went on this rant about how she's been taking benzos for 5 years and isn't a drug addict because she usually takes them as prescribed. I wasn't allowed to talk the whole time she was ranting and she yelled at me if I so much said "Yeah" or "Okay" but by the end of it I told her I don't think she's an addict but she definitely abuses her medication and it isn't good for her health to take too many pills. Her and I haven't really talked since but I'm very worried about her. Does this sound like a situation that warrants rehab?

issue is she doesnt see it as abusing drugs. so no matter what you say or do will change things IMO. she has to change.

Update: The other day she finally realized that they were having a negative impact on her life and checked into rehab. She doesn't want visits or help from friends/family but I'm happy she's on the right track.

There's not much you can do, except stop enabling her. She needs rehab more than friends right now. Try not to micromanage this.

Sadly this indicates that you are in denial: "I don't think she's an addict but she definitely abuses her medication"

Read up on benzodiazepine addiction 6729966]When she was prescribed Klonopin some days she would take a higher dose and babysit her last month when she took too much of Ativan. her Mom told her she needed to go to rehab for the 2nd time this year.

Archived