Wanting to work out multiple times a day?

Hey everyone,

I recently jumped back on the train and have really been dedicating myself to a good diet and consistent exercise. I went to the gym this afternoon and did a nice 30 minute cardio work out. Im new to the gym again and didn't want to overdo it. I only starting breaking a sweat in the last 5-10 minutes of what I would consider an appropriate workout, and now I want to go back again... I'm bored at home and I just feel the need to work out again. Do you recommend it? or should I just increase the intensity of my work outs moving forward? I havent been on a treadmill in almost a year and I got a flood of confidence and energy and my brain wanted me to run... but I knew that it wasn't a good idea since I'm completely out of shape again... its just hard to fight the instinct.

Muscle recovery is an essential part of your fitness routine.

Try a routine that is 30 minutes of cardio + strength training, 3 days a week. On the in between days, try 60 minutes of cardio.

Day 7 = rest day.

Given your post, me recommendation is to start that routine now, using low intensity cardio and lighter weights with more reps. After two weeks, increase your levels. Hold new levels for two weeks, then increase again.

Depends how heavy your cardio workouts are. Generally speaking, your body's pretty good at telling you when you've gotten a good fix of physical activity in. There's nothing wrong with a casual jog or walk on the treradmill in both the morning and the evening. HITT would be a different story, though. When I'm training, I actually use ITIC's model almost exact. I also never walk or jog for cardio, though. I prefer high intensity and the 30 minutes are plenty.

While normally I would suggest scaling back starting out, if you're preferring and enjoying a couple sessions a day and it's helping you establish your rhythm, I'd say to stick to what makes you happier. Just make sure you don't burn yourself out psychologically or physically and allow your body time to recover. If it's telling you it's exhausted, listen.

Depends how heavy your cardio workouts are. Generally speaking, your body's pretty good at telling you when you've gotten a good fix of physical activity in. There's nothing wrong with a casual jog or walk on the treradmill in both the morning and the evening. HITT would be a different story, though. When I'm training, I actually use ITIC's model almost exact. I also never walk or jog for cardio, though. I prefer high intensity and the 30 minutes are plenty.

While normally I would suggest scaling back starting out, if you're preferring and enjoying a couple sessions a day and it's helping you establish your rhythm, I'd say to stick to what makes you happier. Just make sure you don't burn yourself out psychologically or physically and allow your body time to recover. If it's telling you it's exhausted, listen.

I agree with our resident trainer, J.Man, and I'd consider that exercise naturally invigorates and encourages more motion.

I like to take the 'doses' of exercise advised by my instructors along with suggested recovery times. Then I channel the extra energy into other areas of my life, such as study, socializing or pursuing a private interest, class or hobby.

Consider that most philosophies and religions of the world have a common thread: FIND BALANCE, LEARN HOW TO CENTER THERE, OR SUFFER THE NEEDLESS CONSEQUENCES OF OVERINDULGENCE IN EXTREMES.

So? It's fabulous that you're energized. Expand your workouts according to expert advise, and use the rest of your new energy to light up the rest of your life--as opposed to burying yourself in exercise as a means of avoiding the rest of your life.

Thanks everyone. I am working out daily and I feel good about it. I switched up my routine and did some HIIT in order to see how I did. My body told me that it wasn't ready to do the whole thing but I tried my hardest and plan to work on making it a goal to get through the whole workout. My legs are a little jellyish today but it's a good feeling. I felt good after the workout yesterday and felt that I was actually working to do the workout. If I feel that I'm struggling or at risk of hurting myself I will slow down.

Archived