I halved my medication and now I feel terrible

Beastelstein

I've been taking Escitalopram 20mg for the past 5 months to treat my emotional problems and anxiety. I recently thought I was doing okay and lowered my dose to 10mg. It's been 2 weeks since I lowered it and now I'm not feeling right, I've been having anxiety about everything today and I've been severely depressed. I cried 3 times today and I got in a fight with one of my friends.

I've been taking Escitalopram 20mg for the past 5 months to treat my emotional problems and anxiety. I recently thought I was doing okay and lowered my dose to 10mg. It's been 2 weeks since I lowered it and now I'm not feeling right, I've been having anxiety about everything today and I've been severely depressed. I cried 3 times today and I got in a fight with one of my friends.

Did you halve your medication under a doctor's instruction? Never, ever halve or stop taking medication without a doctor's approval. As you can see, you feel lousy. Take your medication as it was prescribed.

See your doctor and discuss the risks of doing this. Also review things to determine if you are doing ok, need something else, etc.

I've been taking Escitalopram 20mg for the past 5 months to treat my emotional problems and anxiety. I recently thought I was doing okay and lowered my dose to 10mg. It's been 2 weeks since I lowered it and now I'm not feeling right, I've been having anxiety about everything today and I've been severely depressed.

Why did you lowered the those? Have you talked to your doctor about it? I've been taking it too, 10mg, for about two weeks. I don't feel extra happy but I don't feel miserable as I was, either. Maybe you need a few more days to get used to the lower dose, but if it doesn't get better you should talk to your doctor.

Did you halve your medication under a doctor's instruction? Never, ever halve or stop taking medication without a doctor's approval. As you can see, you feel lousy. Take your medication as it was prescribed.

No at last appointment I asked to lower it because I was feeling better. I left a voicemail to see if I can get my prescription fixed since I'm not feeling well.

Why did you lowered the those? Have you talked to your doctor about it? I've been taking it too, 10mg, for about two weeks. I don't feel extra happy but I don't feel miserable as I was, either. Maybe you need a few more days to get used to the lower dose, but if it doesn't get better you should talk to your doctor.

I just didn't wanna become too dependent on it so I wanted to see how cutting it down would be but I've been very mentally unhealthy today.

Halving the dose seems extreme. I think I'd probably wig out after 2 weeks as well if my SSRI were halved.

I suggest you talk to your doctor about a slow paced taper. It is not unheard of to go down by 2.5mg each taper with Lexapro.

Oh really? I'll try that once I get myself back to the right dose.

Archived