I started working in this company in 2012 as an Accounts Admin. After which, in 2013 I pursue my degree and I manage to work part time. I resigned in 2015 October and in 2015 December I got back to the company, as a designated admin. Right now, I have completed my degree in HR and thus, they just gave me a position as a HR.

Issues:

1. As this company is of a family business, I have 4 bosses who are all their family members. 4 of them have different opinions and the most frustrating thing is they never ever communicate to one another about what their common objectives are. So, it is a chore to even complete a simple tasking

2. They do not welcome opinions. As none of them know exactly what HR is, I thought that it would be a challenge for me to help them in this area and able to be a strategic player in this role, helping the company and the employees to grow and improve.

However, my manager (one of the family members) kept rejecting my ideas and reprimanding me, not even hearing the reason why I did that. They gave me this role but I am not being empowered to apply my knowledge and ability to get a new start. For instance, many factory workers resigned thus I am being tasked to look for recruitment sources, targeting the locals. As this position is mainly on fabricating and installing of windows and doors in construction site, I doubt that these people we are looking for would be using avenues such as jobstreet etc. Worst still, they told me about using jobs bank which is a free portal, (I have not heard before). they said that it is a government website where it is free. I dont think this is suitable because 1. They have tried using that before but no response 2. Our target segment would be looking for jobs via newspapers or referrals, as it is common sense that this type of job would not be advertised in free government job portals.

Anyway, I explained to my manager and she said it is free so don't go for those avenues which require money.

The ops manager, previously, told me off for seeking approvals from them. He said I should be the one in control. However, look, this is what is contradicting.

One day, he looked at my job requirements that I wrote for fabricators and installers' position. They kept reprimanding me for putting in all those points.

I wrote: 1. Willing to do hands-on, willing to learn etc.

My manager gave an ignorant face and said"what you mean by willing? They must have the ability ! Do away with this sentence" She claimed that people must follow our requirements. However, my point of view is that times have changed. Since we are looking for locals instead of Blangadeshis, we must emphasize that they must be willing to do all these. So what if they have the ability? I wanted to emphasise on the hands-on part because they would be required to work in construction site. Furthermore, they must be willing to learn as they would have lots to learn so they must be enthusiastic about learning.

My manager told me she will be teaching me those payroll system, renewing of work permit etc. However, till now, I have not been taught anything.

Following which, most of my colleagues are hoping I can quit as they are quite upset that they have been working for 20-30 years in the same position, but I got to sit in one of the bosses' rooms. They have been doing some nasty things but I tolerated. I still helped them in their work as I am those person who do not know how to reject others. Even when I know that after I helped out, I would not receive any thanks but will be sabotaged in the end. (I am stupid I know, but thats me)

To sum it up, I am not too sure if I should resign.. Reason

1. They allowed me to work part time due to my studies when i was working as acounts admin

2. They created this HR position specially for me (which is an empty shell, to be frank)

3. I have been dragging my feet to work as the longer of years I worked here, the more I feel that their culture here is not aligned to mine

4. If i leave this company, my colleagues would be happy and they will think that they have won but another part of me thinks that it is ok, just let them win, because end of the day, I know I have really"won" as I will expose myself to a better environment and learn more things, and able to apply my knowledge in the new job, with new positive colleagues, in a happier environment, and healthier. (of course I know that it might turn out the opposite way)

Please advise........

That type of family dysfunction and micromanaging would make me want to blow my brains out.

Update your resume and hopefully you are on LinkedIn and already looking for jobs/sending out resumes.

In the meantime just go along with whatever inane system they have.

Archived