Light Therapy Seems to be Working

I wanted to post here in case it can benefit anyone else. I've struggled with depression for about 25 years. I went to an ivy league college and had to drop out for a semester because I had zero motivation to do anything and hated myself. But I turned myself around and became a generally happy person for the past 20 years.

Moved back East a few months ago and noticed depression creeping back in, combined with a lack of confidence and general despair. I had no reason to be unhappy. I wondered if it had something to do with the lack of natural daylight out here so I bought a light and ion therapy lamp on Amazon for about $50 and it seems to have made a huge difference. I've used it for a few weeks, about 30 minutes a day in the morning.

I feel much more positive, optimistic and extroverted. It could just be in my head but I don't think so.

Anyhow, I've read some posts around here from people contemplating suicide, so I felt an urge to post this in case it helps.

I live in NE United States and winters can be brutal here. Good for you for finding a lamp that works! My brother uses one and loves it.

I do not have a lamp but I do take Vitamin D3 daily, at least 2,000 units a day. It definitely helps, especially in the winter.

I also recommend looking at your vitamin D level. You can get it tested by your doctor. I take 50,000-75,000 IU every week (my blood level was 1/3 what it should be). It has made life so much better for me. Every winter was getting worse. I don't think I would still be alive today without taking supplements.

Wow that chart says it all. In the past, I don't think my depression was linked to sunlight, because I lived in a sunny climate and experienced the same malaise throughout the year. It didn't occur to me that I might be susceptible to SAD too.

The days are incredibly short here, and the tall buildings block even more of the light. But I feel back to normal with the light box.

Also, blue light is supposedly good for the complexion, which is another reason to be happy!!

And yes my vitamin D levels are low so I will start popping supplements too.

Thanks.

Archived