Am I boring?

Viceroy

So I have been evaluating my life so far, since post breakup and I have been wondering if I am a boring person. I know that is a relative question, but I would like some insight. Currently, I am a Senior at my University, graduating this May with my Bachelors in political science, and I work as a substitute teacher during the week. I also work Saturday mornings at McDonald's.

Basically my weekly schedule consists of me going to school, work, gym, studying and relaxing at home. I don't have much of an urge to go out and explore places; I do hang out with friends once in a while. Is this a bad aspect of my life, to have a routine that I go through all the time? Is it normal that I feel content doing what I am doing, going out doesn't excite me too much. My primary focus right now is graduating in May, and eliminating my one day a week at McDonalds.

You do need some hobbies I think. What you're describing is generally ok, but what would you do with a SO? If someone asked you what your interests are, what would be your answer? Drinking seems to be how you define fun - but you could also love watching sports, playing a sport, making quilts, reading, volunteering with dogs, learning another language, traveling, whatever.

I agree, that's one of the reasons I was dumped- I was boring. You're right about the hobbies, I definitely need to find something I am passionate about. I will get back into French! But pretty much other than school and work, all I do is go to the gym and play video games.

Maybe I am not ready to date for a while, other than missing the sex, I am pretty much content with being alone.

I don't think that means you're boring. You sound busy and very able to fill the time (including time to unwind).

When I was in college I did exactly what you did. Most people do. But when I graduated and coworkers asked what my hobbies were, I was surprised: I had never been asked that before and I didn't have an answer. Did reading and Netflix count? That didn't sound terribly exciting...

So I went to Groupon and decided to try things. I learned about photography, how to golf, and how to play guitar... I went ice climbing, rock climbing, traveled... so things like ice climbing didn't stick as a hobby, but it's something I did and can talk about some.

Always question yourself. What's something you're vaguely interested in? Try it! I just learned to use a sewing machine. Not terribly interesting, but I wanted to.

Do this for you, not for someone else. Feel interesting for yourself because you only have one life and you want to enjoy it.

Are you happy? If the answer is "yes", then I wouldn't mess with it. If your motivation to be "less boring" is to appease others when you're perfectly happy with your life as it is, I don't see the point of that at all.

For the record, there are many people out there who lead calm, predictable, stable lives and maybe not a lot of hobbies and you know what? They do just fine. Many of them are happy.

I say, as long as you are happy. You don't "need" what you don't feel that you need/want in your life.

I agree, that's one of the reasons I was dumped- I was boring. You're right about the hobbies, I definitely need to find something I am passionate about. I will get back into French! But pretty much other than school and work, all I do is go to the gym and play video games.

Maybe I am not ready to date for a while, other than missing the sex, I am pretty much content with being alone.

Honestly, you sound just like a normal person. If your ex thought you were boring, it's more an issue of compatibility. Maybe she was more active or this or that or whatever. It's not a negative reflection on either one of you, though. It just wasn't a good match and that's why you are no longer together.

Also, I think it's great that you are content being alone right now. You are 5 months away from graduating, so a really bad time to get involved with anyone. You need to be free and have a clear head to make the best career choices and decisions and actually get into it and pay your dues without worrying about a fresh relationship, getting into arguments about time spent at work, etc, etc, etc. Once you are more settled into your new job, you can pick up dating again with a vengeance. Plenty of time for that. A bit of a break in between is all good. In your shoes, I'd be spending all my time interviewing for jobs so when you graduate, you have one you are stepping right into. Meanwhile, a break from girls is rather convenient timing.

Nonsense. You are studying, have two jobs, pull in money and relax and have friends and goals, etc. Not everyone needs to be entertaining or the life of the party. Still waters run deep.

Just sounds like a mismatch. Or was she was so boring herself that she needed constant entertainment?

Read up on introverts ( ~30% of the population) vs extroverts. Introverts tend to have a rich inner life and recharge by being alone.

one of the reasons I was dumped- I was boring. other than missing the sex, I am pretty much content with being alone.
Are introverts really just 30% of the population? Wow, thought there were many more of us.

Yea I thought extroverts, by its true definition, are the minority in the population... introverts recharge by being alone and extroverts recharge by being around people, and there are truly very very few that I've met that feel refreshed and recharged after being around people. Most I know need some alone time (to different degrees) to recharge.

Anyway! As for the OP, I don't think that sounds boring at all, sounds like a pretty normal life similar to most. If you're happy with how it is, and plus you have a goal of where you want your life to be (graduating and quitting the McDonalds job), then that's something you should work towards.

When you have free time and can afford to financially and time wise, you may want to consider taking up hobbies or participating in groups or travel or something, but I don't think having a routine is boring. Sounds like there was more to the reason for your break up than "boring". Also consider that most relationships developed in school or college don't last, so it's quite likely that you were simply incompatible to start with and as the infatuation fade away, there's nothing left to maintain the relationship.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived