Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi adult stubborn child

~Seraphim ~
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared

Semi adult stubborn child

Because my son is 19 he needs to phone our general practitioner so he can get a referral to a developmental paediatrician here in my local area. The developmental ped also looks after adults with developmental disabilities. My son needs that developmental paediatrician to fill out a government form so he can get disability tax credit and a certificate number so he can get an RDSP. ( retirement investment for the disabled.) Right now he does not " see the need." I would also have coach him how to make that call.

Help!!!

gebaird
    Does he live with you? Do you support him or pay a portion of his expenses? He is a legal adult and entitled to make his own choices, but so are you -- and you don't have to keep providing for his needs if he isn't going to be smart about asking for the help he requires.

~Seraphim ~
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Quote Originally Posted by gebaird [Register to see the link]
    Does he live with you? Do you support him or pay a portion of his expenses? He is a legal adult and entitled to make his own choices, but so are you -- and you don't have to keep providing for his needs if he isn't going to be smart about asking for the help he requires.
    He lives with us,yes and pays a small portion of his expenses. However, due to the fact he is on disability he is not entitled to save for his retirement without this certificate number.

~Seraphim ~
    I would never ever turn him out. He will likely be with us for life. He is going to college though to make his like better.

5. Thanks pippy longstocking thanked for this post
    gebaird
    Is there something he would really enjoy that you might be able to bribe him with?

7. Thanks ~Seraphim ~, catfeeder thanked for this post
    Wiseman2
    Can you make the call and the appt. at the pediatrician, then he can take it from there? That may avert this power struggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria66 [Register to see the link]
    Because my son is 19 he needs to phone our general practitioner so he can get a referral to a developmental paediatrician here in my local area. Right now he does not " see the need." I would also have coach him how to make that call.

9. Thanks ~Seraphim ~ thanked for this post
    ~Seraphim ~
    I know no 19 year old really understands the concept of retirement and save for it. He doesn't see it as a priority and I am trying to get him there.

The bribe factor might be low just after Christmas but I can try.

We have been told he will probably never work because it will cause anxiety that is too great. Intellectually he gets things.... processing time exceedingly slow. They said he could be independent by 40 or so. His life skills very poor. He was not identified as autistic until 17 and he did not qualify for an program as he is " not disabled enough." There are no adult programs for autistics.

He will not submit to ANYTHING that he feels someone is using to make him non autistic. He goes bat crap.

11. Thanks gebaird thanked for this post
    ~Seraphim ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseman2 [Register to see the link]
    Can you make the call and the appt. at the pediatrician, then he can take it from there? That may avert this power struggle.
    No, he is a consulting ped. We need a referral.

rosephase
    Well this isn't helpful but if it makes you feel any better 19 year olds all over the spectrum of neurological diversity have trouble planning for the future. I drove my parents crazy by never renewing my car tags. He's lucky to have such a caring Mom looking out for him and his future.

14. Thanks ~Seraphim ~, gebaird thanked for this post
    ~Seraphim ~
    Quote Originally Posted by rosephase [Register to see the link]
    Well this isn't helpful but if it makes you feel any better 19 year olds all over the spectrum of neurological diversity have trouble planning for the future. I drove my parents crazy by never renewing my car tags. He's lucky to have such a caring Mom looking out for him and his future.
    Absolutely they do. Their planning is very poor due to the lack of executive function. Are you neuro diverse, Rosephase?
    Yes, we both love him to bits. ❤

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Top Threads
Family don't like my fiancÚ, advice please
Hi everyone. Ready for an essay of a story? I hope someone can help with some advice on my situation... I feel sometimes like I'm about to have a
Dad blames me.
So a huge argument broke out between my father, mother, and myself. It is over my college. I've failed two classes over the course of three years in

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
She became distant when her ex-husband got married. Now I'm friend zoned.
I (39/M) met her (31/F) on a dating site a month and a half ago. We've gone on several dates. I have spent the night at her place five or six times
Let this be a lesson to all men trying to find that special someone
Always delete old text messages to avoid sending a message to the wrong person. I have a date tomorrow and thought I was emailing my friend and
On and off relationships... help
I've been dating this guy on and off for about 5 months now. We get into fights, end things then get back together. ( i know this isnt a healthy
Wife will divorce if I go back to the military
Good morning everyone. I have been married for 4 years, been with my wife for 6. We met online when I was deployed in Afghanistan and when I
Really Raw Inside and totally numb
[COLOR=#0000cd]Hello every one. [/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]I,m having a bad day today so I have joined this to write everything down and maybe it
I wanted to clarify things but...
Hi I have a guy friend, we know each other for long time because we went to same school but we never really spoke before. We started hanging
How bad are restraining orders
I'll preface this by saying I was very mentally unhealthy through all of this. Anyway awhile back I finally got the dream girl I wanted for 8 years
Ask For Advice