Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 54

Thread: Semi adult stubborn child

  1. #11
    ~Seraphim ~
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    50
    Posts
    31,666
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    5294
    Socially speaking he is 13-15. Chronologically he is 19. So we have hit the phase of teenage power struggles.

  2. #12
    rosephase
    Platinum Member rosephase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,244
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria66 [Register to see the link]
    Absolutely they do. Their planning is very poor due to the lack of executive function. Are you neuro diverse, Rosephase?
    Yes, we both love him to bits. ❤
    I'm severely dyslexic. Something that would be a lot clearer if spell check wasn't so pervasive now. While dyslexia isn't considered on the autism spectrum it is part of neuro diversity. Like your son, I was very lucky to have a supportive family that helped me fill in the gaps that come from a ridged school system. And like your son I leaned on my parents a lot to help with big overwhelming hard to understand adult stuff (like taxes, medical coverage, retirement plans, ect) long after I became a legal adult.

  3. Thanks ~Seraphim ~, pippy longstocking thanked for this post
  4. #13
    IThinkICan
    Platinum Member IThinkICan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    USA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    8,513
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    3632
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria66 [Register to see the link]
    Because my son is 19 he needs to phone our general practitioner so he can get a referral to a developmental paediatrician here in my local area. The developmental ped also looks after adults with developmental disabilities. My son needs that developmental paediatrician to fill out a government form so he can get disability tax credit and a certificate number so he can get an RDSP. ( retirement investment for the disabled.) Right now he does not " see the need." I would also have coach him how to make that call.

    Help!!!
    Can you set this up as if you both are on the same side (because you are) and engage with him as if you don't already knownthe answer?

    "Oh, interesting. Tell me more about that."

    Or, can you set it up as something you need him to do for you, since it is your money that fills the gaps, and this benefit would make those gaps smaller? So now he is helping you instead of having to do one disability thing to help himself, which may grow tiresome?

    I have very little executive function. Asking me to call people has multiple effects. I know its easy, i dont know if I will do it, and I know its easy. I neither forget or execute. It becomes baggage that clouds my thinking.

    This makes me also wonder if he is helping YOU, does that give you the ability to do more of the research, tracking of phone number, name, and outcome, forms etc. All he has to do is be on the phone.

  5. Thanks ~Seraphim ~ thanked for this post
  6. #14
    ~Seraphim ~
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    50
    Posts
    31,666
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    5294
    Quote Originally Posted by IThinkICan [Register to see the link]
    Can you set this up as if you both are on the same side (because you are) and engage with him as if you don't already knownthe answer?

    "Oh, interesting. Tell me more about that."

    Or, can you set it up as something you need him to do for you, since it is your money that fills the gaps, and this benefit would make those gaps smaller? So now he is helping you instead of having to do one disability thing to help himself, which may grow tiresome?

    I have very little executive function. Asking me to call people has multiple effects. I know its easy, i dont know if I will do it, and I know its easy. I neither forget or execute. It becomes baggage that clouds my thinking.

    This makes me also wonder if he is helping YOU, does that give you the ability to do more of the research, tracking of phone number, name, and outcome, forms etc. All he has to do is be on the phone.
    Oh I have all the numbers. He would not even know what to say I would have to coach him as to what to say. It may take several tries at the call.

  7. #15
    abitbroken
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18,628
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    3579
    I would let him be an adult and suffer his own consequences. maybe when he's farther into his 20s he will see the need. its far too abstract, even for a nuerotypical 19 year old who thinks they will live forever and be a millionaire soon. if you have an elderly neighbor who is struggling and he doesn't understand because they have worked all their life, you can tell them that the elderly neighbor saved money, but they couldn't save enough because they didn't open a retirement account. I would table this until after college. A year won't make a huge difference and if you push him and push, the less likely he is to do it. Let him close one chapter and when he starts to work at a job that he can manage and the topic comes up again out of someone else's mouth, revisit it.

  8. #16
    abitbroken
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18,628
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    3579
    Or, can you set it up as something you need him to do for you, since it is your money that fills the gaps, and this benefit would make those gaps smaller? So now he is helping you instead of having to do one disability thing to help himself, which may grow tiresome?

    You don't want to create a codependent situation, though, where he feels responsible for his folks.

  9. #17
    ~Seraphim ~
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    50
    Posts
    31,666
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    5294
    Quote Originally Posted by abitbroken [Register to see the link]
    I would let him be an adult and suffer his own consequences. maybe when he's farther into his 20s he will see the need. its far too abstract, even for a nuerotypical 19 year old who thinks they will live forever and be a millionaire soon. if you have an elderly neighbor who is struggling and he doesn't understand because they have worked all their life, you can tell them that the elderly neighbor saved money, but they couldn't save enough because they didn't open a retirement account. I would table this until after college. A year won't make a huge difference and if you push him and push, the less likely he is to do it. Let him close one chapter and when he starts to work at a job that he can manage and the topic comes up again out of someone else's mouth, revisit it.
    We don't have an old neighbours( military base) in fact everyone is younger than us. However, he has one set of grandparents who lost everything ( my mom and step dad) due to a jerk money investor. And the other set my inlaws who can do anything they like due to a good pension plan.

    He will be a few years finishing college . On average he's taking two years to finish a year . So it may take him six years to finish a three-year program . But yes he will still be young .

    Absolutely no 19 year old whether neurotypical or not typical can envision retirement .

  10. #18
    ~Seraphim ~
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    50
    Posts
    31,666
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    5294

  11. #19
    IThinkICan
    Platinum Member IThinkICan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    USA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    8,513
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    3632
    Quote Originally Posted by abitbroken [Register to see the link]
    I would let him be an adult and suffer his own consequences. maybe when he's farther into his 20s he will see the need. its far too abstract, even for a nuerotypical 19 year old who thinks they will live forever and be a millionaire soon. if you have an elderly neighbor who is struggling and he doesn't understand because they have worked all their life, you can tell them that the elderly neighbor saved money, but they couldn't save enough because they didn't open a retirement account. I would table this until after college. A year won't make a huge difference and if you push him and push, the less likely he is to do it. Let him close one chapter and when he starts to work at a job that he can manage and the topic comes up again out of someone else's mouth, revisit it.
    I disagree.

    I was raised by very loving parents who admitted they hadn't a clue so they gave up trying to guide me. Letting someone learn on his or her own is messy, expensive, and potentially dangerous. If I ticked off a list of my experiences in total, which no one person knows, many people would be sad/horrified/overwhelmed. Of my own doing, mind you. Its passive aggressive. Its a cop out.

    Better: figure it out, as Vic is doing here. Practice thought patterns until you find the logic that enourages a wayward sheep to follow.

    If someone doesn't have the skills, better to find ways to help model the thinking and behavior that is required, break the task into steps, and share the appropriate amount of responsibility.

    That is fair, and hard.

  12. Thanks pippy longstocking thanked for this post
  13. #20
    IThinkICan
    Platinum Member IThinkICan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    USA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    8,513
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    3632
    Quote Originally Posted by abitbroken [Register to see the link]
    Or, can you set it up as something you need him to do for you, since it is your money that fills the gaps, and this benefit would make those gaps smaller? So now he is helping you instead of having to do one disability thing to help himself, which may grow tiresome?

    You don't want to create a codependent situation, though, where he feels responsible for his folks.
    True.

    Maybe it is couched as his financial contribution?

    Earlier i thought, make it a game. Us against the Health System. They have a rule about 19, even as the topic is about people with different skills sets than typical for a 19 year old. Lets play their game, win free money.

    If someone were giving away money, would you turn away? Well they are, and this is how we get it. I will do the asking except on the phone, YOU have to do the asking....

  14.  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Top Threads
Mum boyfriend inapropriate
My mums boyfriend ( of 18 months) moved into our home after around 14 months of them being together. At the beginning he would be kind to me, buy me
Mum boyfriend inapropriate
Hi everyone, thought i would share an update on whats happened so far. Thankyou all for helping me out yesterday, everything you all said was really
Do you have a strained relationship with a parent? How do you cope?
If you read through my previous posts (and please... you don't have to) you may find that I post about my mother lately who lives with me. She lives
Mother in law is coming in between
My mother in law has crossed the line and called me out of my name bc my husband wouldn’t do what she wanted him to do.But recently she has taken it
Distance Between My Parents. I want to push them away forever.
Distance does not happen all at once. It happens gradually. Bit by bit until you're pushed over the edge and you can't see a point anymore. I can
My mom is having affairs. Please help me asap.
Hi I'm a 17 year old girl.i have a sister who is 15 year old. Both of us found out about my mom having affairs 3 years back. This all happened when I
I'm Moving out of my parents house and my dad and I are really bummed.
I Am 26 and I have lived with my parents my whole life. I have never been away from home longer than 2 weeks. Today is the second day after I

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
I love you, but I'm not in love with you.
So my fiancé of 7.5 years has decided she isn't in love with me anymore so has broken up with me. Our situation is very complicated we have a 2.5
How far should I go with unfriending/blocking on social media?
Hi all, I'm going hard no contact. She originally unfriended me on Snap and Twitter. I recently unfriended her on FB and IG. I also went a step
missing atm
I think what I miss at the moment is having a friend to talk to like we used to. She became the only person I really talked to for the better part
Mum boyfriend inapropriate
Hi everyone, thought i would share an update on whats happened so far. Thankyou all for helping me out yesterday, everything you all said was really
Girlfriend always mad at me
Me and my girlfriend have been togetehr for almost a year. I love her more than anything and i know shes not cheating on me or anything like that
I [F/26] found underwear in my boyfriend's [M/30] pocket.
I've been with my boyfriend for over a year. Recently, my boyfriend asked me to look for some money, so I looked everywhere and I couldn't find it. I
Ex gf text me out of the blue
I guess I just want some feedback and honest replies as my head is completely gone again. Me and my ex gf have been in no contact for a few months
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •