Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi adult stubborn child

~Seraphim ~
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Socially speaking he is 13-15. Chronologically he is 19. So we have hit the phase of teenage power struggles.

rosephase
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria66 [Register to see the link]
    Absolutely they do. Their planning is very poor due to the lack of executive function. Are you neuro diverse, Rosephase?
    Yes, we both love him to bits. ❤
    I'm severely dyslexic. Something that would be a lot clearer if spell check wasn't so pervasive now. While dyslexia isn't considered on the autism spectrum it is part of neuro diversity. Like your son, I was very lucky to have a supportive family that helped me fill in the gaps that come from a ridged school system. And like your son I leaned on my parents a lot to help with big overwhelming hard to understand adult stuff (like taxes, medical coverage, retirement plans, ect) long after I became a legal adult.

3. Thanks ~Seraphim ~, pippy longstocking thanked for this post
    IAmFCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria66 [Register to see the link]
    Because my son is 19 he needs to phone our general practitioner so he can get a referral to a developmental paediatrician here in my local area. The developmental ped also looks after adults with developmental disabilities. My son needs that developmental paediatrician to fill out a government form so he can get disability tax credit and a certificate number so he can get an RDSP. ( retirement investment for the disabled.) Right now he does not " see the need." I would also have coach him how to make that call.

Help!!!
    Can you set this up as if you both are on the same side (because you are) and engage with him as if you don't already knownthe answer?

"Oh, interesting. Tell me more about that."

Or, can you set it up as something you need him to do for you, since it is your money that fills the gaps, and this benefit would make those gaps smaller? So now he is helping you instead of having to do one disability thing to help himself, which may grow tiresome?

I have very little executive function. Asking me to call people has multiple effects. I know its easy, i dont know if I will do it, and I know its easy. I neither forget or execute. It becomes baggage that clouds my thinking.

This makes me also wonder if he is helping YOU, does that give you the ability to do more of the research, tracking of phone number, name, and outcome, forms etc. All he has to do is be on the phone.

5. Thanks ~Seraphim ~ thanked for this post
    ~Seraphim ~
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Quote Originally Posted by IThinkICan [Register to see the link]
    Can you set this up as if you both are on the same side (because you are) and engage with him as if you don't already knownthe answer?

"Oh, interesting. Tell me more about that."

Or, can you set it up as something you need him to do for you, since it is your money that fills the gaps, and this benefit would make those gaps smaller? So now he is helping you instead of having to do one disability thing to help himself, which may grow tiresome?

I have very little executive function. Asking me to call people has multiple effects. I know its easy, i dont know if I will do it, and I know its easy. I neither forget or execute. It becomes baggage that clouds my thinking.

This makes me also wonder if he is helping YOU, does that give you the ability to do more of the research, tracking of phone number, name, and outcome, forms etc. All he has to do is be on the phone.
    Oh I have all the numbers. He would not even know what to say I would have to coach him as to what to say. It may take several tries at the call.

abitbroken
    Platinum Member
    I would let him be an adult and suffer his own consequences. maybe when he's farther into his 20s he will see the need. its far too abstract, even for a nuerotypical 19 year old who thinks they will live forever and be a millionaire soon. if you have an elderly neighbor who is struggling and he doesn't understand because they have worked all their life, you can tell them that the elderly neighbor saved money, but they couldn't save enough because they didn't open a retirement account. I would table this until after college. A year won't make a huge difference and if you push him and push, the less likely he is to do it. Let him close one chapter and when he starts to work at a job that he can manage and the topic comes up again out of someone else's mouth, revisit it.

abitbroken
    Platinum Member

You don't want to create a codependent situation, though, where he feels responsible for his folks.

~Seraphim ~
    Quote Originally Posted by abitbroken [Register to see the link]
    I would let him be an adult and suffer his own consequences. maybe when he's farther into his 20s he will see the need. its far too abstract, even for a nuerotypical 19 year old who thinks they will live forever and be a millionaire soon. if you have an elderly neighbor who is struggling and he doesn't understand because they have worked all their life, you can tell them that the elderly neighbor saved money, but they couldn't save enough because they didn't open a retirement account. I would table this until after college. A year won't make a huge difference and if you push him and push, the less likely he is to do it. Let him close one chapter and when he starts to work at a job that he can manage and the topic comes up again out of someone else's mouth, revisit it.
    We don't have an old neighbours( military base) in fact everyone is younger than us. However, he has one set of grandparents who lost everything ( my mom and step dad) due to a jerk money investor. And the other set my inlaws who can do anything they like due to a good pension plan.

He will be a few years finishing college . On average he's taking two years to finish a year . So it may take him six years to finish a three-year program . But yes he will still be young .

Absolutely no 19 year old whether neurotypical or not typical can envision retirement .

~Seraphim ~

IAmFCA
    I disagree.

I was raised by very loving parents who admitted they hadn't a clue so they gave up trying to guide me. Letting someone learn on his or her own is messy, expensive, and potentially dangerous. If I ticked off a list of my experiences in total, which no one person knows, many people would be sad/horrified/overwhelmed. Of my own doing, mind you. Its passive aggressive. Its a cop out.

Better: figure it out, as Vic is doing here. Practice thought patterns until you find the logic that enourages a wayward sheep to follow.

If someone doesn't have the skills, better to find ways to help model the thinking and behavior that is required, break the task into steps, and share the appropriate amount of responsibility.

That is fair, and hard.

12. Thanks pippy longstocking thanked for this post
    IAmFCA

You don't want to create a codependent situation, though, where he feels responsible for his folks.
    True.

Maybe it is couched as his financial contribution?

Earlier i thought, make it a game. Us against the Health System. They have a rule about 19, even as the topic is about people with different skills sets than typical for a 19 year old. Lets play their game, win free money.

If someone were giving away money, would you turn away? Well they are, and this is how we get it. I will do the asking except on the phone, YOU have to do the asking....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Top Threads
Bad grades; Children OR parent's fault??
**This is just a general question btw*** Personally, I say YES, providing the child is under 15, I believe that children that age ARE NOT MATURE
My parents died in a car accident when I was 14 – my grandparents refused to take me in ‘cause I’m m
My parents died in a car accident when I was 10. My father was black, and my mom was white. My dad grew up an orphan, so I was unable to be taken in
Overly-conservative parents + coping with bullying
I'm 19 and I am about to leave for university in a week. I just got into a major fight with my mother about something so stupidly irrelevant to this
Is it Weird? Hope not ...
I met my gf's family this past week. All went well, they visited from out of town and said that can't wait for us to go visit them in their house
How can I make my mom see a doctor?
Hi all, I'm a bit desperate and seeking all the advice I can get. My mom has been quite sick lately, to the point where she doesn't go to work
Well i was expecting to have a nice weekend with the family out of town but.....
It didnt turn out that way:( We travel to busch gardens for the weekend in VA and things was great on Friday when we arrived and all day Saturday
Hard forgiving people who gave birth to me
Hi there, I'm 22 years old I have been going through a lot. I don't know where to start at all since I'm writing this. When I was growing up I

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
My boyfriend doesn't text me as much anymore?
My boyfriend would text me everyday all day and now he won't text me first anymore or at all sometimes. Last night he stopped replying to my text so
Is she the rebound
If he leaves a 17 year relationship to date his High School Sweetheart from 32 years ago, is she a rebound ?
I want to break NC after almost 2 months to invite my ex gf to a concert
We have been in NC for almost 2 months after being together for 6 years. She stopped responding to a text i sent her. I saw she was interested in
Online dating, and why it doesn't work well for most men
We discussed this before, and for some reason people got personal and mean about it. So I have no intention of returning to this thread, but I wanted
PLEASE HELP, boyfriend talks to mom 4-5 times per day, very odd relationship....
Hi guys, Always been hesitant to post my personal business online. Anyways... here it goes... So my boyfriend is amazing...(just to throw this
Hurtful joking
My bf jokes about things that are very hurtful. Today was probably one of the most hurtful. He tried to grab my breasts and he does this a lot. He's
He dumped me and won't return my stuff
So I was seeing a guy for a short amount of time. Out of the blue....he blocked me? Fair enough, I get the message, I think it's rude but
Ask For Advice