Ask For Advice

Thread: settlement agreement/redundancy

d24

settlement agreement/redundancy

hi all.
    i will get professional HR guidance but I wanted to run by my situation and see if anyone has any insights, because I'm not sure I'm asking the right questions/thinking of everything in this extremely stressful emotional time.

I live in the UK, so the first thing I should say is that (as far as I can gather) unless you have been employed for 2yrs, I am not 'protected' by unfair dismissal claims or redundancy laws? It's 1yr 10months, so I don't thnik I'm covered?

I was told verbally that my position was being made redundant on 5/Jan. The long and short of it is that this is not true. They very much need someone in my position.
    In fact, June last year, the owner of the business employed his brother (who does exactly what I do) and marginalised me and my role to a point where I was essentially doing admin while his brother got to do the 'important' / 'value added' / 'fun' jobs.

The worst thing is that they also do not seem to know what I do, and have asked me to stay on for 20 days to show his brother what I do (which is extremely difficult, it takes an immense amount of effort not to throttle him daily), and how I do it, in return I will get an additional 2 months equiv. pay (tax free, as a settlement agreement) and 2 days untaken holiday.

For reference we are paid 10.8 workable days (i.e. any day M-F) in advance, 10.8 working days in arrears. Our pay date is 19th/Jan, so my '1 month notice' (which is implied, not contractual) takes me to 5/Feb.... so I think my final pay should be +3 days? They say that of these remaining working days (22) I only needto work 20, but if I handover before 20 days I can leave 'early'

I can go into more details if anyone has anything specific to ask, but have I missed anything that I should be asking or consdiering right off the bat? I'm in such a spin that I don't know what I should be doing? Asking? Saying?
    e.g.
    Should I be asking for anything specific?

thank you

gebaird
    I'd talk with an solicitor to see if you've got a case, but for now it sounds like you're just going to have to show up each day and train. Can you start looking for a new job? The 2 months pay will give you more time to find another position.

3. Thanks Wiseman2 thanked for this post
Top Threads
Can a supervisor tell you that a co-worker can't rent a room in your house?
So, I think I've mentioned before that I have an awesome place near the beach. I live 50% with my teenage son and the house is pretty big with an
Job Offer - Having a tough time with a decision
I work for a great Hospital system, and have for just about 12 years, starting from the bottom and working my way up through IT. I formed a
911 Dispatch hiring process
I've been in the hiring process for a job with our Central Dispatch which dispatches for police officers, sheriffs, ambulance, and firemen. I turned
Need input on job hunt
I'm job hunting, and a recruiter recently reached out to me on a specific job. I am very interested in the company and the position. The recruiter is
Loanded a friend money, now he's ignoring me?
I don't get it. I last talked to him in November, when he said he'd need to break up repayments into 2-3 smaller amounts. I said okay, then he

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Dating younger guy 24 years difference
I am 50 yrs old dating a 26 yrs old guy. We been dating each other for a couple months things are great between us. He told me he will always be
Boyfriend gets very angry if I mention his ex, is this normal?
Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 5months. He broke up with his ex and a year and a half ago. 7 months after they
Should I let my boyfriend stay overnight with his friends?
Hi there. Firstly thank you for reading this post. I am a new member to this forum, and also will soon be new immigrant of the UK so basically there
Is this abuse?
Iím desperate for some advice. Iíve been with my partner for nearly 2 years and everything has been ok, except from when he drinks. I really do not
Is there hope for me?
Me and my girlfriend of two years had been talking about moving in together lately. We didn't actually go look at any place in person, but browsed a
Bringing up trust issues at the start of a new relationship? My situation...
Haven't been on these boards since my last break up a couple years ago, and here I am about to begin a new relationship with feelings from the last
Whats my next move - Dating a girl fresh out of a relationship
Hey guys, So heres the deal. Met a girl in class and I asked her out. Her answer was "maybe" because she didn't want to say no to me but just
Ask For Advice