Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my recruiter asking me out?

wai
    Silver Member

Is my recruiter asking me out?

Hi ENA,

So ive been looking for a job recently and i just got a verbal job offer a few days back and i decided to take it. The recruiter guy who got me a job came out of his way to see me on the interview day. I felt like he came to check me out intentionally. May be i am wrong not sure.

So now that i got the job offer, he asked me to celebrate with him. I gave him a very vague answer and now he texted me again if i could do lunch with him this Friday. Im not sure if its a date or its just professional lunch date. I am in a committed relationship and if its a date i dont want to go.

Can anyone tell if its a date or professional lunch? Im confused cuz ive changed so many jobs and never did lunch date with any of my recruiters before

Wiseman2
    Does he get a commission from the employer when someone he refers is hired? Go to the lunch think of it as and act like it's a business lunch. Be professional. Nothing wrong with saying 'my bf and I are celebrating my new job this weekend'.
    Quote Originally Posted by wai [Register to see the link]
    So now that i got the job offer, he asked me to celebrate with him. I gave him a very vague answer and now he texted me again if i could do lunch with him this Friday. Im not sure if its a date or its just professional lunch date. I am in a committed relationship and if its a date i dont want to go.

j.man
    Don't know. But with it being lunch, it sounds harmless either way. I'd take him up on a friendly lunch and cross that bridge should he actually ask you out again after.

wai
    Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseman2 [Register to see the link]
    Does he get a commission from the employer when someone he refers is hired? Go to the lunch think of it as and act like it's a business lunch. Be professional. Nothing wrong with saying 'my bf and I are celebrating my new job this weekend'.
    Yes he does get commission. I am a little swamp at work these days. So im thinking of telling him to do lunch in two weeks when things slow down a bit. Is that a good idea?

Wiseman2
    What if you ever need his services again? Don't play games. Do the lunch and get it over with. Make it brief and businesslike. It's not a date and delaying it in this passive-aggressive manner is rude and not professional because of your assumption that putting it off will deter him from "dating" you.
    Quote Originally Posted by wai [Register to see the link]
    Yes he does get commission. I am a little swamp at work these days. So im thinking of telling him to do lunch in two weeks when things slow down a bit. Is that a good idea?

wai
    Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseman2 [Register to see the link]
    What if you ever need his services again? Don't play games. Do the lunch and get it over with. Make it brief and businesslike. It's not a date and delaying it in this passive-aggressive manner is rude and not professional because of your assumption that putting it off will deter him from "dating" you.
    Its true! But im actually very busy at work these days. Just got back from 3 weeks vacation. He knows that also.

JaggerJim
    It's a date! Don't go!

annie24
    Just a thought.... you can say something like, "Thanks for the offer, yes I would like to catch up with you but I'm swamped with work and next week my boyfriend's family will be in town, so can we meet for lunch in 2 weeks?" You know, if you discreetly throw it in so he knows this is just networking for you.

wai
    Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by annie24 [Register to see the link]
    Just a thought.... you can say something like, "Thanks for the offer, yes I would like to catch up with you but I'm swamped with work and next week my boyfriend's family will be in town, so can we meet for lunch in 2 weeks?" You know, if you discreetly throw it in so he knows this is just networking for you.
    Very great response. I wish i saw it a little earlier. I just told him i will do lunch in 2 weeks without mentioning the boyfriend part. I will try to say something along that line when i get a chance

ParisPaulette
    Platinum Member
    I'm torn, because I'm really not sure why a recruiter would be asking a new recruit out to lunch. Alarm bells are going off here, because I find it really weird you haven't even started yet and the recruiter is asking you to lunch with him? I would get it if he said something like, "Please do lunch, your general manager will be there and the woman you're taking over from since we'd all like to relax and get to know you a bit better before you hit the ground running." But to just ask you out to lunch with no mention of the business aspect? Yeah, that to me is a red flag. And a good recruiter, a reputable one, usually has an awareness that they don't want to be doing things that can be misconstrued by people--like trying to maneuver new recruits into dating them, because they were given a job. And yet that's what this guy just potentially did.

Have you even spoken to anyone else in the company? Do you know you got the job from anyone else other than him and have you gone through the normal process of forms to fill out, training, being shown around the place, introduced to coworkers etc? If yes, this might not be so bad, if no I'd be more than a little suspicious of his motives there. And a whole lot more careful, as in looking up if this guy even works for said company or if you really got the job suspicious.

It's time to do a bit of homework on your own to make sure this is a business lunch and not him thinking he now has a date, and getting potentially ugly when you say no to him. Why not just try a more direct approach. Text him and say, "Hey, just a curiosity who else is going to be there for this business lunch and any tips for a good first impression if it's my boss would be much appreciated, thanks." That way you make it very clear this is a business lunch, you expect other people who work for the company to be there. And you kind of push him into the position of either admitting there won't be other people there or he will tell you so and so will be there.

I get business lunches, I do them with clients all the time, but it's discuss the job. You need to find out if this lunch is about the job or what it is he wants to discuss with you over lunch. And yes, you are within your rights to ask for that.

If it comes out that other people aren't going to be there, thank him for that information, but focus on starting your job there, getting grooved in, and quietly finding out from your fellow coworkers and your HR Department if they have one whether or not he's someone to be trusted, and maybe just never go.

Personally, I think he's crossed a business ethics line. It's different when you are working there and you know someone well enough to understand and just do lunch with them or you're going to work on a project and want to iron out details over a pleasant lunch or if a group of workers want to get to know you. But I can't see an intimate lunch with the guy who just got you hired as turning out well for you when or if you have to reject his advances. And yeah, if he's lined this up as a "date" in his head and taken advantage of that he is the type to most likely turn ugly.

The best way to get out of a bad situation often times is don't go there in the first place, so you need to find out a whole lot more about why this lunch is happening, who else will be there, and what the expectations will be ahead of time. Or you just don't go and you're too busy or you do that lunch and show up with several coworkers in tow later down the line giving him no opportunity to be anything but professional. And the best way to do that is no alone time that can be misconstrued by him.
    Last edited by ParisPaulette; 01-09-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
Can a supervisor tell you that a co-worker can't rent a room in your house?
So, I think I've mentioned before that I have an awesome place near the beach. I live 50% with my teenage son and the house is pretty big with an
Job Offer - Having a tough time with a decision
I work for a great Hospital system, and have for just about 12 years, starting from the bottom and working my way up through IT. I formed a
Did you change your mind?
Did you change of the focus of your education in college? Did you start out thinking you wanted to study a certain programme but changed to another?
911 Dispatch hiring process
I've been in the hiring process for a job with our Central Dispatch which dispatches for police officers, sheriffs, ambulance, and firemen. I turned
Need input on job hunt
I'm job hunting, and a recruiter recently reached out to me on a specific job. I am very interested in the company and the position. The recruiter is
Loanded a friend money, now he's ignoring me?
I don't get it. I last talked to him in November, when he said he'd need to break up repayments into 2-3 smaller amounts. I said okay, then he

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Dating younger guy 24 years difference
I am 50 yrs old dating a 26 yrs old guy. We been dating each other for a couple months things are great between us. He told me he will always be
Boyfriend gets very angry if I mention his ex, is this normal?
Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 5months. He broke up with his ex and a year and a half ago. 7 months after they
Should I let my boyfriend stay overnight with his friends?
Hi there. Firstly thank you for reading this post. I am a new member to this forum, and also will soon be new immigrant of the UK so basically there
Is this abuse?
Iím desperate for some advice. Iíve been with my partner for nearly 2 years and everything has been ok, except from when he drinks. I really do not
Is there hope for me?
Me and my girlfriend of two years had been talking about moving in together lately. We didn't actually go look at any place in person, but browsed a
Bringing up trust issues at the start of a new relationship? My situation...
Haven't been on these boards since my last break up a couple years ago, and here I am about to begin a new relationship with feelings from the last
Whats my next move - Dating a girl fresh out of a relationship
Hey guys, So heres the deal. Met a girl in class and I asked her out. Her answer was "maybe" because she didn't want to say no to me but just
Ask For Advice