I Don't Know What To Do

Anonymous02

My mom had these crisis/ prevention people call me last night after she saw my dad punch and kick me. He has fits of bipolar rage. It has been like that for 12 years since I(17) was about 5. I have been getting hit(hard) off and on for 12 years. Back in 2009, a psychatrist asked me a bunch of questions, they told my parents I had depression, social anxiety and very mild anxiety provoking ocd. I have not seen a therapist or a counsellor. I did online school for a few years but when I went to a school it was small and they did not have counsellors there(they didn't even have a lunchroom or basketball court it was that small!)

I have been bottling all of this up for a very long time. The people who spoke to me last night on the phone said "Since you're 17, You're the age of majority what you say is confidential. Unless you want to go to the hospital, because your mother told me you have depression then I need you to agree on going to(gives name of outpatient counselling services) an assement." I said ok... But I don't want to be in debt... when I move out in a few years, that could risk me of being homeless if I'm in debt because I heard that people who are in debt have the hardest time getting any person to rent to them because they'll have very bad credit scores(I don't have a credit card at all though). Therapy is $120 an hour. The insurance we have does not cover that.

And I currently don't have a job to pay for the therapy. I have been looking for a job within walking distance(10 miles or less) since March of 2016, I live in the south, we don't have a public bus around here it is 17 miles away(we always drive past it on the way to my aunts house), so it is near her, and that would be a long walk to get a job so I can go to therapy.

I don't know what to do! The crisis person on the phone told me I have no choice and have to go for an assement because if I don't he will send some people out to bring me to the psych ward. He asked if I ever had thoughts to harm myself I said yes sometimes but not now. I think that might be why the crisis persoj is doing this.

I'm perfectly ok keeping everything to myself, it doesn't bother me as much as it did a few years ago. I'm numb to it but the crisis person wouldn't listen when I told him.

What would you do? Why don't they take my word?

You need to call CPS since you are under 18. They will send the right people to counsel your parents. Also if anyone ever is assaulting you, get your phone, hide in the bathroom and dial 911. Your prior history is irrelevant, so are any costs debt etc.

she saw my dad punch and kick me. Since you're 17.

I am so sorry this is happening to you. I echo wiseman - not normal that they would be "forcing" you to pay money you do not have for counseling when it is your father who is the adult and should not be beating you - police should have been called years ago. I am angry for you, and hope you reach out for help. Your fathers' violence is inexcusable, not your fault, and something you can get away from and should. There is plenty of help out there for you, and it is good you've reached out here to find out more. I would really love to see responses from people who have maybe dealt with this or had to make the proper arrangements to get away from abuse like this?

I am so sorry this is happening to you. I echo wiseman - not normal that they would be "forcing" you to pay money you do not have for counseling when it is your father who is the adult and should not be beating you - police should have been called years ago. I am angry for you, and hope you reach out for help. Your fathers' violence is inexcusable, not your fault, and something you can get away from and should. There is plenty of help out there for you, and it is good you've reached out here to find out more. I would really love to see responses from people who have maybe dealt with this or had to make the proper arrangements to get away from abuse like this?

Thank you. The police did end up coming out once 5 years ago, during my dads bipolar episode then he was having, they didn't do anything except talk to him and yell at me(they thought I was the one who caused it apparently, because my dad was yelling etc..)

That is really abnormal that they yelled at you...do you have any family or friends you trust in other states or areas who you would feel safe with? (Not sure if this is a legal option or what the typical procedure is for these things but I just feel like you need to get away from this scene asap).

Archived