Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fed Up

bosslady973

Smh

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseman2 [Register to see the link]
    Because legally she's his mother and you are not. Also your emotions and feelings should not cloud that fact and you need to stop obstructing him from contacting her. She did not give him up for adoption and you did not adopt him. You are quite mean to insist to the boy that she somehow gave him up or relinquished her parental rights, when she has not.

Stop interfering with the relationship between the boy and his mother it's none of your business. You don't make the laws according to your authoritarian ways and your feelings. He will hate you one day when he remembers you yelling at him to go to bed or eat etc when he wanted to talk to his mother.
    I have never told him anything like that,so I don't know where your coming from with that! I have never talked negative about him mother to him. I never said I yelled at him or stopped him from speaking to his mom. That's why step parenting is hard because people misconstrue what is said. If you read what I really said, I reached out to her and told her I was here for her and she could call or text my phone anytime she wanted to speak with him. I did that,no one else. They just left it alone. I tried to do weekday I felt was right to keep them in communication with each other but she goes months without contacting him with no explanation like it's OK when he misses her. I would never get in the way of him talking to her but when it's affecting him negatively,that's when I have a problem. Kids are not toys to be picked up and play with when ever. A real parent wants their child to be protected. I would be considered a bad mother of I was to be in and out of my kids life with no consistency. But I'm the bad guy! I do for him as I do for my own. I'm here everyday doing the best I can. He tells me I'm the best mommy in the world. All ya'll can do is twist words around when I'm looking for some advice. That's OK, I'll be just fine!

bosslady973
    How can you say it's none of my business when we live together? When his father and I became man and wife it's suppose to be my business. I can't treat him different than my own. Ya'll would have something to say if I did act like that. If your child's father got married wouldn't you want the new woman in your child's life to treat them the same as they would their own child? This world is crazy!

Wiseman2
    Get him his own phone, so you don't have to intervene.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady973 [Register to see the link]
    she could call or text my phone anytime she wanted to speak with him.

bosslady973
    He does now!

5. Thanks Wiseman2 thanked for this post
    Hell_On_Heels
    Keep in mind that there are multiple relationships here -

You and your mom
    SS and his mom
    You and SS's mom
    You and SS

Trauma and triggers are making these relationships blend together into one hot mess when in fact they are all very separate and distinct. That's what trauma does. It reaches into the core of us, and the emotions are so intense that we lose sight of what's really happening.

This is natural, normal, but it can be very destructive.

I understand that you're angry with the mom, resent that you're vastly under appreciated for your role with your SS, and that you want control in your own home. None of these things are bad, but you can't ask an 8 year old to help you with this.

You need to start separating your triggers from everyone involved. It might be good to talk with a professional to help you deal with your painful past while being a positive stable influence in your family.

It was really good that you simply closed the door and let him talk to his mom. It's not good for you that you're angry about it. You made a good choice for the boy. Be proud of that. Practice letting the anger go. If you don't, it will eat you up, and your family along with you.

This is when some mental/emotional separation of relationships might help. Your SS insisted on staying up past his bedtime. Doesn't matter why or what he was doing. He stayed up late. Let him deal with the consequences of being tired the next day. If he mentions it, gently make that connection for him by saying something like, "Yes, you were up a little late last night."

Having kids deal with the consequences of their own choices is a powerful parenting tool. It's a powerful adult tool, as well. We all learn to modify our behavior through cause and effect no matter how old we are. With children, it's very effective because they're still so open to experiences. -
    People are happy with me when I clean my room. I feel good. Cleaning my room is good.
    I feel hungry when I forget my lunch. I feel bad. Remember to bring my lunch.
    I feel tired when I stay up late. Go to sleep earlier....and for parents, if the child isn't tired, maybe the bedtime needs to be adjusted to be a little later. This is a learning thing for everyone, not just the kids.

All you have to do is make that connection for them, in a casual way that is nonjudgmental. Stepparents have to take extra precautions on the nonjudgmental part, because it's normal to be under appreciated for what you're doing. I'm not saying it's right - I'm only saying it's common for people to be focused on the broken relationship, the one with the biological parent.

You might also want to examine your parenting style. If it's too authoritarian with an 8 year old that loves you, it might be time to see if you want to use other methods. JMHO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Top Threads
Conflict Over Boyfriend's Kids: Am I Being Too Needy?
So I recently got together with a friend who I've known for over a year and moved in after 3 months of 'visiting'. Bit of background, I'm soon to be
My BF won't follow custody agreement with ex
We are a middle aged couple both divorced & parents of pre- & teenagers. My BF & his ex have week on, week off custody. I have my children M-F, my ex
Your folks
Y'all Idc how much you don't like them. Tell them you love them, give them a hug. Take lots of pics with them. It sucks like hell when you're in the
Illegal affairs of my own mother and father and gods gift of new relation
Hii guys I am 20 i just love my mom soo much when I am in 8th class i just from then her illegal affairs(not with one guy uncountable) started as I
boyfriends family
my partner and i have been together for years and live in a beautiful studio. his family came out to visit, mom, her husband and his brother. but its
Husband's ex
I have severe hatred towards my Husband's ex. It seems to effect my daily life and considering he has a child with her we have to deal with her a
New parents
Me and my boyfriend have been arguing since I was pregnant with my now 4 month old daughter... I'm a strict mom... I don't want him or his family

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Completely Confused? What does this mean?
Hi All- I was dating a guy for almost a year. We had a pretty great relationship- Things got serious. We told each other we loved each other. Even
Boyfriend told me he couldn't afford holiday, next day books one to Thailand
Basically my boyfriend of 6 months is $40k in debt (I'm debt-free). We had talked about going to Vietnam and he said he needed 6 months to save up
Not a regular here, I have a few questions...
I'll try to make this brief. Been in a relationship (23F) with a man (35) for 5 years. Typical in the beginning, though I always wondered how he
Weed or Me
Hi, I have been dating my boyfriend for a few months - he is 31 and I am 24. He has recently started smoking weed every night and I don't really
Is He Hiding from Me?
Hi All, Need some advice from those that are familiar with social media apps such as Instagram.. I'v been friends with this guy for about a
Red flag in friendship
I've been through a terrible first break up and was in a lot of pain. I was physically and mentally sick due to the stress of the break up but I'm
I broke hard NC after 7 months (B I G M I S T A K E)
No surprise, I'm absolutely devastated. She pretty much blew me off like I was a piece of trash. At first I was happy because she actually responded
Ask For Advice