I am lost and need advice

LS2015

Im on here because I don't really know where else to turn. I'm 20 years old and I don't know what i want to do with my life. I failed my first semester at community college, quit my job, and have no passion or motivation for anything. I'm always telling my parents if maybe they gave me some emotional support I would be alright. I never had them tell me the "you can do it" or "I believe in you" conversations, its always just bringing me down. I have talked to them about this before, but nothing had changed. I recently told them that I wanted to start considering maybe trying out acting to see if I like it and to see if its something I'm passionate about. When I was younger I wanted to start acting but my parents never put me in classes. So when I told them this they kind of just brushed it off and didn't say anything, no "i'll support you" nothing. They would just change the subject. As I watch the people around me they all have support from friends and family with whatever they desire. I feel as if though i'm not good enough for anything. is it just me doubting myself? I don't blame my parents, they're great and they love me I just wish they would listen. I have no idea what I want to do.

Sorry to hear this but as a 20 y/o adult you have to be your own support system and believe in yourself. Your parents can't coddle and support you forever.

So far they are providing you a place to stay an education, etc. it's up to you to decide how to make your life work and what you want to do.

Why not talk to a counselor about your life and direction and lack of motivation? There's only so much your parents seem willing, able or ready to do.

I failed my first semester at community college, quit my job, and have no passion or motivation for anything. I'm always telling my parents if maybe they gave me some emotional support I would be alright.

The counselors at your community college should be able to give you an aptitude test. You answer a lot of questions, several hundred. The questions gauge things like whether you prefer to work alone v in groups, have the same daily routine v change it up, do physical work v mental work, etc. The test then suggests career tracks for you. Your counselor will debrief you on the results and can help you with next steps in exploring these career tracks, maybe set you up with someone to shadow. I would do something like that before making the decision to quit college and explore acting.

Another thing to do may be order a book off amazon with different careers and different majors. When you see what various career options look like in terms of progression and salary, that may influence you a bit too. If you don't know what you love, work hard and do what will make you the most money or give you the lifestyle you want in terms of hours.

To be honest, if my kid failed out of community college, I wouldn't be lauding him with praise and support either. I would be really pissed that he blew an opportunity, took advantage of my support, and wasted my money. I would also be embarrassed for him. Having taken some community college classes back in the day, failing usually means you didn't go to class and didn't try, as most teachers will work with you to redeem your grade if you're legitimately trying. So, I don't really blame your parents for their reaction...

• 2 weeks later...

I understand your parent's frustrations, but honestly what would be the harm in supporting acting classes - at least to see how you like it? Maybe strike a compromise and take a few academic courses too, to appease them. Or at the very least, find some kind of employment. Any parent that cares wants to see their kid set goals that will secure their future. They are likely worried you will not be able to support yourself. Show them otherwise by taking some initiative. Katmarie's post is very thoughtful and helpful, especially about the aptitude test to help you figure out a career path. Good luck.

I'm sorry to hear that... a career counselor may help you. consider a mentor chat that would help way better. Give your decision a deep thought, as acting career has lots of ups and downs, so if you choose to do that you need face lot of rejections and disappointment. Sorry for sounding negative, but pls consider having a career counselor or a mentor.

I've been working in the Film and TV business for close to 10 years now. It can be really fulfilling when you're getting lots of gigs. When things slow down and I'm short of gigs I worry a lot. It's not for the financially squeamish that's for sure. If you really have the desire to become an actor you need to just go for it. Even if things don't work out you're only 20! You've got all the time in the world to experiment. I've left my industry and have explored other career paths and always return to being a film maker. I'm cool with that now.

I understand why your parents are reacting the way they are. Please understand this - they cannot live your life for you. You must take control of your destiny and make decisions about your future. @#$%D! happens anyway so it will never be perfect. But at least give it your all. If it doesn't work out who cares?

I strongly suggest moving to a major film market like NYC or LA. Find student film makers and START GETTING EXPERIENCE. Volunteer on every film you can, even if you're just working as a background player (an extra). The sooner you start this the better. Peace.

I think it is great you want to take acting classes. One of my niece's enjoys doing improv. But she works full time in marketing to support her acting/comedy.

My other niece worked in the TV industry for 10 years, moving around where the gigs were. She finally quit because it was so sporadic and she felt like she wasn't getting anywhere. She will be going back to school to get a degree that will give her steady employment opportunities.

Begin to look to your self for your support and approval. Break off from expecting that from your parents. Do go to a vocational counselor to explore career options. They will help you explore your strengths and weaknesses. They will also give you information on career trends and employability outlooks. No sense in studying something if there won't be jobs available when you get out.

First off you need to support yourself. Once you have made yoursel more employable, then you can pursue dreams of acting, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew a kid like the OP who was lost, had no purpose, made every poor choice that someone could, etc. This guy had potential, was a great athlete but f'd up at every turn until he enlisted.

He joined the Marines, specialized in Information Technology, got his degree through the College of the Armed Forces and is now a successful IT manager at a large corporation. I lost contact with him for about 15 years or so and when we reconnected, I couldn't believe how he had transformed himself.

I sincerely believe that the military is a very good place to find out what your purpose is (or is not!). If you want to be an actor, look at Rob Riggle or R. Lee Ermy (sp?) who were both Marines. I'm sure there are other fine examples as well.

Archived