Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question For The Guys (Women Feel Free to Chime In Too)

katrina1980
    Platinum Member

Question For The Guys (Women Feel Free to Chime In Too)

Hey guys -- how would you feel about your gf wanting to share an apartment with another guy?

Before you go all crazy, he's 100% gay.

She only knows him through her friend who used to be his roomie before she got married, but your gf has never met him.

Sharing an apt with him would save her a ton of money ($700 per month).

And her friend says he is the best roommate ever, which is hard to come by in her neck of the woods.

Would you be okay with this? Not okay with it?

In case you're wondering, this story is about me.

My bf (dating him since mid-October) is uncomfortable with it.

He thinks if I want to save $$$ I should move in with him!!

I think he's being a bit ridiculous.

Thoughts?

mustlovedogs
    I speculate he's more hurt that you're moving in with someone else (regardless of gender) than with him.

The mix of pronouns has be a bit confused - you've been married right?

I think you could say something about how this will only be a year long lease and at the end of it, you two will have been together for almost a year and a half and that would be a more reasonable time to consider moving in (if that is in fact true). If your prior marriage make it so you don't want to move too fast, tell him.

He may be uncomfortable with sexy time with a roommmate around, if that hasn't been the norm.

happyfrank
    I would be 1000 % okay with it..

To ease boyfriends worries. I think he should hangout with him in a social setting.

I personally love all my friends that date within the same sex.

notalady

Question For The Guys (Women Feel Free to Chime In Too)

Totally fine with me. I see it as no different to if you look up or post rental ads (one room for rent in a two bedroom apartment) and share with a random person. People do it all the time. I don't know why it'd be a problem for anyone.

And um...you've only been dating 2 months and a bit, why does he think it's appropriate to move in together? Not wise. Aside from the short time you've been dating, personally I'm also against moving in together with a partner for financial reasons or for convenience. For me, it should be for no other reason than you see a future with this person and would like to advance the relationship.

j.man
    You've only been dating a couple months. Your head is in the right place. Way too soon to move in. I also think it's worth keeping on file that he may be insecure to the point he'd make irresponsible relationship decisions to "lock you down" so to speak.

When I met my girlfriend, I had a female roommate and it was a 2BR apartment with just my roommate and myself. She never once raised a concern. It probably helped that I'd already been in the situation before dating my girlfriend, but I'd have reserved the right either way.

Different people have different boundaries, so I won't say he's full on wrong, but if you've found someone you feel is safe and reliable, even if a guy, I wouldn't bend.

katrina1980
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mustlovedogs [Register to see the link]
    I speculate he's more hurt that you're moving in with someone else (regardless of gender) than with him.

I think you could say something about how this will only be a year long lease and at the end of it, you two will have been together for almost a year and a half and that would be a more reasonable time to consider moving in (if that is in fact true). If your prior marriage make it so you don't want to move too fast, tell him.

He may be uncomfortable with sexy time with a roommmate around, if that hasn't been the norm.
    No I have never been married, my ex and I were engaged, but I broke it last December.

Wiseman2
    It's really your call and after dating only couple months, moving in with a bf is a much worse idea than saving money on a place with a neutral roommate. Better to discuss this with the potential roommate than with a guy you are dating so briefly.
    Quote Originally Posted by katrina1980 [Register to see the link]
    My bf dating him since mid-October is uncomfortable with it. He thinks if I want to save $$$ I should move in with him!!

katrina1980
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mustlovedogs [Register to see the link]

Frankly, only dating him 2.5 months, why do I need to justify my decision by saying it will only be a year lease, we can think about moving in together when lease is up?

It's early stages, I have no idea where we will be a year from now.

j.man I think you're spot on. I dated him previously back in February and he was trying to rush things then too, which is one reason why I broke up with him. That and it was just too soon after the break up with my ex.

His attitude is not sitting well with me at all, and was wondering if it was just me.

I highly doubt it has much to do with sexy time, he's a grown man for heaven's sake - 45 years old.

Plus we spend most of our time at his place anyway.

katrina1980
    Platinum Member
    About my bf.

He is a bit "macho" for lack of a better word. Dominant (but not domineering if that makes sense). Rugged, masculine, hard-nosed former prosecutor for the U.S. government. Ex-military.

He has never said it, nor would ever admit it I don't think (not to me) but I think he may have issues with gays, and believes they can somehow be "converted" or something.

Like the "right" woman could convert them.

Just a feeling I have from various conversations and his reactions whenever the issue is discussed (politically).

Clearly he doesn't understand homosexuality, and this could be part of his discomfort.

I think I may have to flat out ask him about this.... soon!

notalady
    So do you have a problem dating someone who has a problem with homosexuality?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Top Threads
I'm always the one messaging first lately.... not her.
I've been dating this woman for the past few weeks. We've gone on about 4 dates so far. Date #5 occurring this Saturday. Anyway, lately, it
Does she like me? Another second date confusion...
Met another girl online and we went on a date at Sunday ([I]this is the 7th girl I go on a first date with for the past few months, I suck at
Why would people ghost rather than saying something
Speaking to a girl for a month or so, been on a couple dates went well and we spoke a lot. After the last date we were still speaking for a few days
He didn't even bother to cancel our date leaving me feeling disrespected
We made plans to go out on Friday evening. No place/specific time but we did discuss possible things to do and I knew it would be in the evening
Is he really even interested? Please help.
I am really torn on what to do. I know I'm emotional at times and I don't know if this is honestly a problem or if it's all in my own head and I'm
Am I emotionally unavailable or a commitment phobe?
Hi, I am a 23yr old female and Iíve noticed I am a little different than most of my girl friends in the sense that while all of them are after some
Ghosted by an Ďamazingí man?
Hi Everyone, So after finally leaving an emotionally abusive relationship with a man I had a child with I finally started dating. I went on a few

Featured Threads
Is he just telling me what I want to hear?
I've posted on here a few times regarding my relationship. I finally built up the courage to break up with him. It's now been 5 weeks, yet due to our
Did the Psychologist get this wrong??
Me and my boyfriend have been together 8 years. We have not married or had kids yet which is more because of me in the sense I don't feel ready. He
Woman I'm dating revealed a lot about her sexual past
Hi Everyone, I'm a 28 year old male and have been going out with a 28 year old woman for about a month. Things have been going well and we have
Too Fussy?
So on my journey of recovering from a series of abusive and rubbish relationships Iíve come up with a list of deal breakers and a list of minimum
Is there still hope? Wanting to get back with Ex
I feel my hope of getting back with my ex is over for good. We broke up 12 months ago. I did the breaking up and during that time I've been begging
Sexual Chemistry or Comfort
Hi Everyone: I feel guilty for asking this, but here goes: I'm the type of person who is always in a relationship, most of the time they're
advice welcome
Hi all. Been with my wife for 20yrs, married 13yrs. Due to problems on both sides we split up in September. 2 weeks later she is in a rebound and
Ask For Advice