Well last year was a bit rubbish, politically, leaving the eu and that uncertainty.

Health wise it's been a battle, still recovering from operation now and have a severe ear infection.

Friendships wise I've struggled.

I attempted to get help for my metal health and failed.

Leaving my last job and having to be in benefits (signed off as unfit to work at present) and not getting any benefit due to apparently getting a huge paycheck last month (I didn't)...

But I've made some new friends, fixing an important friendship. Aaaaand!!!!! I have an interview for an ideal job for me! Working within a mental health hospital! I know my ears will make it really hard to start with, but I made it through final year at uni after the same well similar operation so I can do this. I really want this job, I have a lot of experience and my education. I'm really anxious and excited about the opportunity! I haven't had an interview since September 2014 so trying to think how to prepare for it, what should I take, all my certificates?although the role is an unqualified one. I'm really hoping I make it through the selection process! I think my lack of being able to do night shifts us going to go against me, I just physically cannot sleep in the day, I've done an 18hr waking night shift before and had a shift the following day and I couldn't sleep between, so exhausting. Of I can find a way to sleep in day I'll be able to do it.

Really pleased I got an interview though, I can't remember my application or cv (resume) due to being really ill when filling in the application..

Anyway, tips please guys!!!

Prepare!! Do research on the company and come up with answers to common interview questions. Bring a notebook with 5 questions written down to ask at the end of the interview. Most people do not actually ask any questions. Before you go in to the interview stand with your body in a big "X" legs spread, arms up and out and say I can do this or some other confidence boosting phrase. Sounds stupid but it gives you an air of confidence.

Make sure your hair is cut and looking neat, get a new outfit for the occasion if necessary.

I had been job hunting for 5 months, no luck. I used these techniques, got a hair cut and ended up getting a job because I actually prepared and tried in the interview for once. Preparation is key.

Good luck!!

Hair cut is a good idea, I should also probably try to wash the colours out multi coloured for new years. This is the first job I've applied for, as it is perfect for me and I'm unfit to work although I know gp will sign me back. My mind always goes blank for questions to ask, I don't think it's NHS so I could ask about that maybe. Ahhh.

Hey, congratulations on the interview. Would you be interested in sharing the ad with us so that we could ask you all sorts of questions and maybe this would help you prepare for it? I think you may need to find an answer for the two year gap, maybe they call you over-qualified to check your reaction. Also you can tell us why this job is good for you and why you are the ideal candidate as well. And thinking about conflict resolution skills may be helpful if you will work closely with patients. They may give you a scenario where you are in the middle of a conflict, asking you what you would do - for instance, "I would need guidance/training on the procedures but I wouldn't leave patients alone without a worker in the room" etc etc. I would focus on what human skills, character traits etc would be needed for this job (if it involves people) and build my responses so that I convey the message that I have those skills.

Hair cut is a good idea, I should also probably try to wash the colours out multi coloured for new years. This is the first job I've applied for, as it is perfect for me and I'm unfit to work although I know gp will sign me back. My mind always goes blank for questions to ask, I don't think it's NHS so I could ask about that maybe. Ahhh.

When researching the company look for information and news that affects your role. Also don't wait until the end of the interview to ask about the company - do it during the interview whenever something that you are interested in is mentioned. I prefer this to a robotic quizzing of a terrified candidate as I can see more easily if their enthusiasm is real. Nothing pisses me off more than when a candidate reels off irrelevant information about the CEO that neither affects the business nor the role, or regurgitates some meaningless press story - it comes across as douchebaggy and a bit like when my granny comments on my job based on completely irrelevant press.

What is missing from other answers is that you should also speak to someone that knows these roles backwards and that can advise on the issues with the nightshifts. Also what is the actual gap? You mention last interview was 2 years ago but when did you last work. Also what does "lots of experience" mean? Is it in healthcare? Can you competently get across that you already did these conflict resolution things in previous roles?

Get these things straight as I can see you going into another job that requires nightshifts and winding up back to square one. If you spend half your time recovering from night shifts it won't be easy to just find another job that doesn't require them. A better idea would be to live with the parents and give yourself time to do this properly. Your mental health is a priority, not money. Don't put so much stock into this one job as if it's the only one left in the universe - it's not personal if you lose it over nightshifts and has nothing to do with your interview performance. It may seem like the long way around and stupid but putting a bit more effort into which jobs you go for is the more efficient way.

When researching the company look for information and news that affects your role. Also don't wait until the end of the interview to ask about the company - do it during the interview whenever something that you are interested in is mentioned. I prefer this to a robotic quizzing of a terrified candidate as I can see more easily if their enthusiasm is real. Nothing pisses me off more than when a candidate reels off irrelevant information about the CEO that neither affects the business nor the role, or regurgitates some meaningless press story - it comes across as douchebaggy and a bit like when my granny comments on my job based on completely irrelevant press.

What is missing from other answers is that you should also speak to someone that knows these roles backwards and that can advise on the issues with the nightshifts. Also what is the actual gap? You mention last interview was 2 years ago but when did you last work. Also what does "lots of experience" mean? Is it in healthcare? Can you competently get across that you already did these conflict resolution things in previous roles?

Get these things straight as I can see you going into another job that requires nightshifts and winding up back to square one. If you spend half your time recovering from night shifts it won't be easy to just find another job that doesn't require them. A better idea would be to live with the parents and give yourself time to do this properly. Your mental health is a priority, not money. Don't put so much stock into this one job as if it's the only one left in the universe - it's not personal if you lose it over nightshifts and has nothing to do with your interview performance. It may seem like the long way around and stupid but putting a bit more effort into which jobs you go for is the more efficient way.

The gap was I was working, I've been out of work since November due to operation, I worked in care with those with learning disabilities and then as a carer for someone with physical and mental health difficulties. Due to my care role I learned about controlled diets, epilepsy and medication stuff which are all useful in this new role.

I do live with my mum, hate it but it works for my family. I think if I let myself off not working my mental health will get worse, cause I tend to hate being around large groups of people, partly due to my hearing issues.

Thank you for the advice of asking during, my mind always goes blank but if I prepare questions before hand I think I might better know what I'm wanting to say. I hope.

Thank you heart and vic for the well wishes

Archived