Ask For Advice

Thread: Parenting my parents.

deejay74

Parenting my parents.

Hello, ENA.

I'm a 42 year old, single, male without kids, and my parents are 78 years old. They will be 79 this year.

I've noticed that my parents are expecting me to provide things for them that they never provided for me.

For example, I grew up in a dysfunctional family where at any time, I was threatened by either parent that they would leave. I have never been able to go to either parent for comfort in my times of distress. My dad wanted to be uninvolved and my mom always turned my issues around to be about her.

Very recently, I got into an argument with my mom and she told me all she wanted was for someone to tell her things will be ok. You know what? That's what I always my mom or dad would say to me. So when my mom said that, I told her that everything will be ok. But I died inside. I tried so hard not to cry.

I am very lonely right now and I can not seem to get some comfort unless I try to comfort myself. I've been relying on alcohol and other stuff to comfort me. I know I'm going down a very dark path. My parents are old and I am concerned about their longevity. My mom has been sick and the doctors aren't sure why.

I have a lot of issues and I am seeing a therapist, but sometimes I feel like I'm losing control.

Ms Darcy
    I've observed your threads over a long time and it seemed like many of your challenges stemmed from the hurts of your childhood.

How is therapy going? These are exactly the types of things you should be working through in therapy.

Top Threads
Money and Parents.
Hey, So I am starting year 12 this year and I wanted to help my dad out with payments as he doesn't have a whole lot of money lately. I worked
How can I be a better Mum, struggling right now, please help.
I always wanted everything of the best for my kids, and I think/thought I was providing it fairly well up until 2016. We had everything, then when I
Nephew thrown out of his mom's house
I'm furious...rant warning! My brother has been divorced from his wife for about 8 years now. They have three children together ranging in age
Is this controlling behavior or am i overreacting?
i really dont know where to start. Ive been living with my dad and step mom since as far as i know.My stepmom has been in my life since i was 4. Now
Toxic Relationships of ALL sorts
All my life I've had problems with my family. In August 2015 I had to move back home with my mom. When I was growing up I thought that my father was
Dad hurting mom
I'm new to this so please excuse my lack of thread etiquette, I'll just jump straight into it. My dad has recently become very controlling over my
Relationship with parents
When I was 12 years old, my mom had an affair and left my dad. For the next few years, my parents had split custody of my sister and I, and although

Featured Threads
Moving in together with my almost one year boyfriend but one big issue
Dear All, I haven't been back here for a while now. I have decided to post here instead than in the "pets" section, because I didn't want to
Back from the holidays: waiting for him to contact me
I am back form my holidays. I went away three weeks. We had two great dates before I went away. During the holidays we texted a few times, the
Should I do it?
Maybe itís because Iím such a nostalgic person, Itís going to be a full year since our breakup las January. I still think about her every f*cking day
He chose his lodgers side so I broke up with him but still love him
I just broke up with my boyfriend of one year because 4 months ago he let a friend move into his house with him she asked him ,and in turn he asked
Feeling unsure after 4 years and before marriage
Me and my fiancť are together for 4 years now, both in our mid 30s, had an engagement not long ago. We live in [B]MY [/B] apartment. I feel
Broke up with gf
So back story 4 months into the relationship. She knows about while she hasn't met my friends she knows of them. I know not much about her past. I
Girlfriend having abortion and says she needs time to herself. What do I do?
Hello, this is my first post in this forum and I am struggling and need a lot of help. 2 weeks ago my girlfriend found out she was pregnant, we are
Ask For Advice