Ask For Advice

Thread: Parenting my parents.

deejay74

Parenting my parents.

Hello, ENA.

I'm a 42 year old, single, male without kids, and my parents are 78 years old. They will be 79 this year.

I've noticed that my parents are expecting me to provide things for them that they never provided for me.

For example, I grew up in a dysfunctional family where at any time, I was threatened by either parent that they would leave. I have never been able to go to either parent for comfort in my times of distress. My dad wanted to be uninvolved and my mom always turned my issues around to be about her.

Very recently, I got into an argument with my mom and she told me all she wanted was for someone to tell her things will be ok. You know what? That's what I always my mom or dad would say to me. So when my mom said that, I told her that everything will be ok. But I died inside. I tried so hard not to cry.

I am very lonely right now and I can not seem to get some comfort unless I try to comfort myself. I've been relying on alcohol and other stuff to comfort me. I know I'm going down a very dark path. My parents are old and I am concerned about their longevity. My mom has been sick and the doctors aren't sure why.

I have a lot of issues and I am seeing a therapist, but sometimes I feel like I'm losing control.

Ms Darcy
    I've observed your threads over a long time and it seemed like many of your challenges stemmed from the hurts of your childhood.

How is therapy going? These are exactly the types of things you should be working through in therapy.

Top Threads
Living hell inside my house, my mom is a hateful and overall bad person
My relationship with my mom was never a good one. On my previous threads you can see there were many moments of emotional and physical abuse. We
An update on my last thread about my mom having affairs.
So I hd written a long paragraph about my mum having affairs on the last thread. So according to majority of the advises that I received I stayed
I am a great aunt today!
My step sister's daughter had her little boy 4 weeks early today!
Own Family Favors Younger Brother ... what to do? At a complete loss
ENA, its been awhile since I posted, but to update you I have moved, and bought a house 5 minutes from my parents (this doesnt have to do as much
Cut contact with my narcissistic mother? How can I deal with the guilt?
I have seen this forum before and figured now is a good time to try it out. I am in need of some unbiased advice, of something that has troubled me
Just want some advice and help
I am 19 and my boyfriend is 25, we have been dating for over a year now and I went away to college while he stayed home so a lot of it was long

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Has anyone on here used face time after meeting someone online?
Met this lady on Craigslist and when I suggested we exchange numbers so we can set up a meeting she preferred face time. I have no interest in face
Does a cheater get a second chance..?
I posted earlier but everybody's just looking at all the negative stuff which I understand but my question is if you find out your significant other
Encouragement and Advice Needed Please
Hi, When I was younger I was very ambitious and optimistic about the future, I believed I could turn things around for myself and create a
Friends..!
Can exes remain friends?
Heard something pretty rude while dining out tonight
So I'm sitting at Paneras when a man and woman sit next to me. The man announces to the woman that as of today, he's lost 35 pounds in 10 weeks from
Too many weddings and babies and I m nowhere
Hi everyone I don't even know how to start but I m feeling depressed. I m in my mid 30's and never had a kid or got married. I had few serious
Is this cheating??
My ex and I got together for closure a few weeks after our break up. We talked and said how much we loved eachother and it was very emotional
Ask For Advice