Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just graduated university and kind of lost on what is next?

gianno
    Bronze Member

Just graduated university and kind of lost on what is next?

Just graduated university with a degree in psychology with a focus on mental health
    Don't know what I want to do with my life ( I really wanted to do law school but haven't taken the lsat yet but I have the means for this career path)
    My main goal right now though is finding a job preferably in my field but for now anything
    I have large amount of loans to payback as well as pay for my rent and other expenses
    Kind of worried how I will be able to afford to live
    My job experience is limited to family run businesses, therefore limited number of viable references
    I'm willing to work any job especially right now even two if I have too, but how do I market myself effectively?
    How do I get employers to take a chance on me even though I have limited experience I have great work ethic and determination to learn anything
    Any tips on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

mustlovedogs
    From what I understand, you can't do much in psych without a PhD or an MD. You may want to
    Consider grad school.

3. Thanks gianno thanked for this post
    gianno
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mustlovedogs [Register to see the link]
    From what I understand, you can't do much in psych without a PhD or an MD. You may want to
    Consider grad school.
    I have definitely thought about it, I have the GPA to do it, it mainly rests on finding some experience in labs or research now to cement a career move like that one. But what I am most concerned about right now is finding any job really and paying my bills before thinking about grad school or law school

Almira23
    Law school is great and all, but depending on your area, without much experience in the law field you won't be able to find a job in a law firm.
    I have a few friends, who graduated from well known law schools in my area and couldn't find any other jobs, but as public defenders, which the starting salary in my state for is around 40k.

I have a friend, who graduated in the same field as you and she found a job with the sheriff's office in our area as a child protection investigator. She eventually moved on to be a counselor at a crisis center. She is going to online school for her masters.

I am sure you'll be able to find a job in your field just don't be too picky. Just make sure to branch out to other areas within psychology when job searching and you'll be okay. The salary probably won't be anything lucrative, but you'll probably have enough to afford your living expenses until you find something better.

6. Thanks gianno thanked for this post
    j.man
    Are we talking just a BA/BS in Psychology? Cuz I gotta be real... if so, no one cares what your "focus" was.

As others have suggested, unless you're going for a MSW, you're pretty much locked into getting a PhD.

As an immediate suggestion, a lot of children's homes and rehabilitation centers would be very happy to have a psych grad at the very least for entry level positions. That could also get your foot in the door to have some opportunities should you want to get certifications for counseling or go back to school altogether.

8. Thanks gianno thanked for this post
    Almira23
    Quote Originally Posted by j.man [Register to see the link]

As an immediate suggestion, a lot of children's homes and rehabilitation centers would be very happy to have a psych grad at the very least for entry level positions. That could also get your foot in the door to have some opportunities should you want to get certifications for counseling or go back to school altogether.

^^Yes! great point! Def look into those OP.

10. Thanks j.man thanked for this post
    gianno
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Almira23 [Register to see the link]
    Law school is great and all, but depending on your area, without much experience in the law field you won't be able to find a job in a law firm.
    I have a few friends, who graduated from well known law schools in my area and couldn't find any other jobs, but as public defenders, which the starting salary in my state for is around 40k.

I have a friend, who graduated in the same field as you and she found a job with the sheriff's office in our area as a child protection investigator. She eventually moved on to be a counselor at a crisis center. She is going to online school for her masters.

I am sure you'll be able to find a job in your field just don't be too picky. Just make sure to branch out to other areas within psychology when job searching and you'll be okay. The salary probably won't be anything lucrative, but you'll probably have enough to afford your living expenses until you find something better.
    I'm in Canada so law school might be a little different but here an average lawyer makes around 80k. It's because we have very few law schools and are admission rates are lower. Thank you for suggestions and the example of the friend you provided I'll look into it strongly

gianno
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j.man [Register to see the link]
    Are we talking just a BA/BS in Psychology? Cuz I gotta be real... if so, no one cares what your "focus" was.

As others have suggested, unless you're going for a MSW, you're pretty much locked into getting a PhD.

Yes BS in psychology. I'll definitely check those out, I had the idea of rehabs centre in the back of my mind when I was posting. Thank you for the great ideas!

j.man
    Quote Originally Posted by gianno [Register to see the link]
    Yes BS in psychology. I'll definitely check those out, I had the idea of rehabs centre in the back of my mind when I was posting. Thank you for the great ideas!
    No prob. I worked about three years as a treatment aide at a drug / psych rehab facility for teenagers. No psychology background personally, and the psych students / grads were in the same position I was, but they definitely had a closer relationship with the counselors than I ever did... at least on a professional level. To this day, despite the fact I make a **** ton more doing the work I do now, it was probably the most fulfilling work I ever did, even if the most emotionally exhausting as well.

14. Thanks gianno thanked for this post
    Ms Darcy
    If you can get a job as a lawyer, quite a number of them are well paid. My understanding is, though, that firms tend to look for the top performers in the class ... not just anyone who graduates.

Lawyers (in the United States) earned a median of $115,820 per year in 2015, according to the BLS. (Median is the wage at which half of the workers in the occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. Median wage data are from the BLS Occupational Employment Statistics survey.)

[Register to see the link]

Lawyers earned an average annual salary of $133,470 in 2014,

[Register to see the link]

16. Thanks gianno thanked for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Top Threads
Singing bonus at new job
Hi all, I recently got a new job and resigning from my current position. My start date is end of this month. I had to change my start date
Asking for
a raise. What is the best way to do this ??? Any ideas or opinions , I am looking for inspiration. :tan:
Am I Being Unreasonable?
So I'm barely two weeks into my new apartment lease and the ceiling leaked from the apartment above me. The maintenance crew cealed the leak and are
Need some advice about a new job opportunity please
So I started the job I'm in November of last year. It's a small, family owned company and it seemed like exactly what I was looking for but I am

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Is he still in love with his EX?
I met this great guy at work (last November), he just got out of a painful breakup (last September) during that time he kept communicating with his
Can't get over girlfriends past
I've been dating this girl for about 5 months and its going great. The only issue is that I can't get over her sexual history. There are several
I dont like my girlfriends new piercing
So my girlfriend went and got nipple piercings knowing that i didnt like them and didnt tell me she was gonna get them. They are a really big turn
What I am to her ?
hey guys I want some counseling .. I met a girl online .. At first she said that she doesn't wanna fall for me and we will be just friends .. I said
I want my family back
Hi, I was dumped on New Years Eve by my ex girlfriend of 8 years whom I have a 6 year old with. We have been arguing for the past few months prior to
Anxious and depressed about being 32 yo and not married
I could really use some kind and encouraging words right now because I wake up every morning to an intense feeling of pain because I am alone. I'm 32
Ex (dumper) delays giving keys back. Why?
First time poster. Been viewing threads somewhat regularly for a few months now and figured I'd get a few opinions. I'll give a little of the
Ask For Advice