Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Just graduated university and kind of lost on what is next?

  1. #1
    gianno
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    137
    Thanked
    52

    Just graduated university and kind of lost on what is next?

    Just graduated university with a degree in psychology with a focus on mental health
    Don't know what I want to do with my life ( I really wanted to do law school but haven't taken the lsat yet but I have the means for this career path)
    My main goal right now though is finding a job preferably in my field but for now anything
    I have large amount of loans to payback as well as pay for my rent and other expenses
    Kind of worried how I will be able to afford to live
    My job experience is limited to family run businesses, therefore limited number of viable references
    I'm willing to work any job especially right now even two if I have too, but how do I market myself effectively?
    How do I get employers to take a chance on me even though I have limited experience I have great work ethic and determination to learn anything
    Any tips on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    mustlovedogs
    Platinum Member mustlovedogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,230
    Thanked
    2018
    From what I understand, you can't do much in psych without a PhD or an MD. You may want to
    Consider grad school.

  3. Thanks gianno thanked for this post
  4. #3
    gianno
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    137
    Thanked
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by mustlovedogs [Register to see the link]
    From what I understand, you can't do much in psych without a PhD or an MD. You may want to
    Consider grad school.
    I have definitely thought about it, I have the GPA to do it, it mainly rests on finding some experience in labs or research now to cement a career move like that one. But what I am most concerned about right now is finding any job really and paying my bills before thinking about grad school or law school

  5. #4
    Almira23
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    424
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    393
    Law school is great and all, but depending on your area, without much experience in the law field you won't be able to find a job in a law firm.
    I have a few friends, who graduated from well known law schools in my area and couldn't find any other jobs, but as public defenders, which the starting salary in my state for is around 40k.

    I have a friend, who graduated in the same field as you and she found a job with the sheriff's office in our area as a child protection investigator. She eventually moved on to be a counselor at a crisis center. She is going to online school for her masters.

    I am sure you'll be able to find a job in your field just don't be too picky. Just make sure to branch out to other areas within psychology when job searching and you'll be okay. The salary probably won't be anything lucrative, but you'll probably have enough to afford your living expenses until you find something better.

  6. Thanks gianno thanked for this post
  7. #5
    j.man
    Platinum Member j.man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,678
    Thanked
    9342
    Are we talking just a BA/BS in Psychology? Cuz I gotta be real... if so, no one cares what your "focus" was.

    As others have suggested, unless you're going for a MSW, you're pretty much locked into getting a PhD.

    As an immediate suggestion, a lot of children's homes and rehabilitation centers would be very happy to have a psych grad at the very least for entry level positions. That could also get your foot in the door to have some opportunities should you want to get certifications for counseling or go back to school altogether.

  8. Thanks gianno thanked for this post
  9. #6
    Almira23
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    424
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by j.man [Register to see the link]

    As an immediate suggestion, a lot of children's homes and rehabilitation centers would be very happy to have a psych grad at the very least for entry level positions. That could also get your foot in the door to have some opportunities should you want to get certifications for counseling or go back to school altogether.

    ^^Yes! great point! Def look into those OP.

  10. Thanks j.man thanked for this post
  11. #7
    gianno
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    137
    Thanked
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Almira23 [Register to see the link]
    Law school is great and all, but depending on your area, without much experience in the law field you won't be able to find a job in a law firm.
    I have a few friends, who graduated from well known law schools in my area and couldn't find any other jobs, but as public defenders, which the starting salary in my state for is around 40k.

    I have a friend, who graduated in the same field as you and she found a job with the sheriff's office in our area as a child protection investigator. She eventually moved on to be a counselor at a crisis center. She is going to online school for her masters.

    I am sure you'll be able to find a job in your field just don't be too picky. Just make sure to branch out to other areas within psychology when job searching and you'll be okay. The salary probably won't be anything lucrative, but you'll probably have enough to afford your living expenses until you find something better.
    I'm in Canada so law school might be a little different but here an average lawyer makes around 80k. It's because we have very few law schools and are admission rates are lower. Thank you for suggestions and the example of the friend you provided I'll look into it strongly

  12. #8
    gianno
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    137
    Thanked
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by j.man [Register to see the link]
    Are we talking just a BA/BS in Psychology? Cuz I gotta be real... if so, no one cares what your "focus" was.

    As others have suggested, unless you're going for a MSW, you're pretty much locked into getting a PhD.

    As an immediate suggestion, a lot of children's homes and rehabilitation centers would be very happy to have a psych grad at the very least for entry level positions. That could also get your foot in the door to have some opportunities should you want to get certifications for counseling or go back to school altogether.
    Yes BS in psychology. I'll definitely check those out, I had the idea of rehabs centre in the back of my mind when I was posting. Thank you for the great ideas!

  13. #9
    j.man
    Platinum Member j.man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,678
    Thanked
    9342
    Quote Originally Posted by gianno [Register to see the link]
    Yes BS in psychology. I'll definitely check those out, I had the idea of rehabs centre in the back of my mind when I was posting. Thank you for the great ideas!
    No prob. I worked about three years as a treatment aide at a drug / psych rehab facility for teenagers. No psychology background personally, and the psych students / grads were in the same position I was, but they definitely had a closer relationship with the counselors than I ever did... at least on a professional level. To this day, despite the fact I make a **** ton more doing the work I do now, it was probably the most fulfilling work I ever did, even if the most emotionally exhausting as well.

  14. Thanks gianno thanked for this post
  15. #10
    Ms Darcy
    Platinum Member Ms Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Age
    36
    Posts
    31,754
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    6230
    If you can get a job as a lawyer, quite a number of them are well paid. My understanding is, though, that firms tend to look for the top performers in the class ... not just anyone who graduates.

    Lawyers (in the United States) earned a median of $115,820 per year in 2015, according to the BLS. (Median is the wage at which half of the workers in the occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. Median wage data are from the BLS Occupational Employment Statistics survey.)

    [Register to see the link]

    Lawyers earned an average annual salary of $133,470 in 2014,

    [Register to see the link]

  16. Thanks gianno thanked for this post
  17.  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Top Threads
I'm 20 and I have no clue what I want in life?
Hey guys, I'm a 20 year old girl who basically has no direction in life as of the moment. I'm in my third year of college, majoring in Accounting
I work at Uber for $300 a week, and I'm paying for a millionaire's taxes
Yes, i know the title sounds absurd and probably sounds like something a troll would write, but it's 100% true. I'm a partial owner of a S Corp
Should I quit my full time job to work part time?
Should I quit my full time job to work part time? At the moment I work 40 hours a week with sporadic days off, rarely 2 days off in a row. Most
Living in a Caravan. Is this a crazy idea?
So, as per title, I am considering buying a caravan to live in so I can save money whilst studying to buy a house. It will be a mobile caravan
How to handle boss/work situation? :(
I am currently just entering my second tri of pregnancy. The job I have was originally a PT position , as I was in university up til spring. It felt

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
My boyfriend doesn't text me as much anymore?
My boyfriend would text me everyday all day and now he won't text me first anymore or at all sometimes. Last night he stopped replying to my text so
Is she the rebound
If he leaves a 17 year relationship to date his High School Sweetheart from 32 years ago, is she a rebound ?
I want to break NC after almost 2 months to invite my ex gf to a concert
We have been in NC for almost 2 months after being together for 6 years. She stopped responding to a text i sent her. I saw she was interested in
Online dating, and why it doesn't work well for most men
We discussed this before, and for some reason people got personal and mean about it. So I have no intention of returning to this thread, but I wanted
PLEASE HELP, boyfriend talks to mom 4-5 times per day, very odd relationship....
Hi guys, Always been hesitant to post my personal business online. Anyways... here it goes... So my boyfriend is amazing...(just to throw this
Hurtful joking
My bf jokes about things that are very hurtful. Today was probably one of the most hurtful. He tried to grab my breasts and he does this a lot. He's
He dumped me and won't return my stuff
So I was seeing a guy for a short amount of time. Out of the blue....he blocked me? Fair enough, I get the message, I think it's rude but
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •