Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just graduated university and kind of lost on what is next?

mustlovedogs
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Darcy [Register to see the link]
    Yes, I clearly identified that the figures are for when you are an attorney. I guess I'm a little confused as to why one would make that distinction.

Anyway, I was (generally) responding to gianno's comment about how Canadian attorneys make, on average, $80K.

Also, I do want to emphasize that it's a very competitive degree. My friends (3) who went on to high paying jobs graduated near the top of their graduating class.
    Yes, it was clear you were speaking about attorney salaries - I was just clarifying that, in the US, a law degree does not automatically get you a position as an attorney and those salaries are not a given.

gianno
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catfeeder [Register to see the link]
    As your 'anything' job for income while you search in your field, consider applying at a number of temp agencies. I started with one closest to home, and I scheduled appointments x3 mornings per week with other agencies, working my radius outward. The do NOT all work with the same firms.

Sending them resumes and expecting calls for any given position is a waste of time, ask for an interview appointment to get on their 'active' roster.

Position doesn't matter, firm does. Grab any assignment inside companies that interest you, as that will give you access to their unpublished jobs for which you may apply from within.

This is how most companies are hiring these days. Temps are a 'try before you buy' scenario for them. Focus is less on how the temps perform a certain role, because that can be changed, but rather whether they're a good 'fit' with the firm in terms of soft skills, reliability, willingness to learn, etc.

Pay is usually better than retail, and your exposure to lots of people can help you to network into your field.

Congrats on your graduation!
    I'm gonna go to two temp agency appointments tomorrow and see how that goes! My question is can you walk me through this interview appointment I don't really understand how to do that or what it is?

gianno
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mustlovedogs [Register to see the link]
    Yes, it was clear you were speaking about attorney salaries - I was just clarifying that, in the US, a law degree does not automatically get you a position as an attorney and those salaries are not a given.
    Yup it's very competitive in the US. In Canada, the competition is mostly based off just getting in to law school. Since we accept less than 5 percent of applicants and the US on average even the best schools such as Harvard accept around 10. In sum, in the US the field of law is flooded with lawyers and Canada we need more.

4. Thanks mustlovedogs thanked for this post
    catfeeder
    Quote Originally Posted by gianno [Register to see the link]
    I'm gonna go to two temp agency appointments tomorrow and see how that goes! My question is can you walk me through this interview appointment I don't really understand how to do that or what it is?
    Sorry I missed this and may be too late. I wouldn't schedule 2 appointments same day unless they are very far apart. Appointments involve filling out a large amount of paper work, as you are essentially applying for a job that involves payroll. The there's computer application testing on any app you claim to be able to perform. Don't stress about these. If you do poorly, most agencies will allow you to run their tutorials and retest at your convenience to improve your scores. Then there the interview to find out what roles and firms would be most suitable for you.

After each appointment I rewarded myself with a good coffee or sandwich or a walk in the park. I scheduled one appointment per day, x3 per week, starting with those closest to me and working my way outward to other counties.

No investment in any appointment is a waste. I accidentally applied to a 'creative' firm without realizing that this was a descriptive term for a line of work outside my IT capabilities. They were an hour away, and were kind about explaining that they weren't clear how they could market my skills. However, they still spent a lot of time with me, and I couldn't understand why they didn't just tell me to go. Within a month, they turned out to be the firm that placed me with a firm about 10 minutes from my home, in an art department that was starting to bring their work in house rather than outsource it. I started as a clerk, but would later negotiate a senior role in their image database build in exchange for junioring in Photoshop and InDesign to learn masking, retouching and page layout for their advertising. Still there 10 years later and love my work.

Point is, you never know who you'll meet or what it will lead to.

Best of luck, and I hope you'll let us know how it goes.

6. 01-24-2017, 02:57 AM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Top Threads
I'm 20 and I have no clue what I want in life?
Hey guys, I'm a 20 year old girl who basically has no direction in life as of the moment. I'm in my third year of college, majoring in Accounting
I work at Uber for $300 a week, and I'm paying for a millionaire's taxes
Yes, i know the title sounds absurd and probably sounds like something a troll would write, but it's 100% true. I'm a partial owner of a S Corp
Should I quit my full time job to work part time?
Should I quit my full time job to work part time? At the moment I work 40 hours a week with sporadic days off, rarely 2 days off in a row. Most
Living in a Caravan. Is this a crazy idea?
So, as per title, I am considering buying a caravan to live in so I can save money whilst studying to buy a house. It will be a mobile caravan
How to handle boss/work situation? :(
I am currently just entering my second tri of pregnancy. The job I have was originally a PT position , as I was in university up til spring. It felt

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
My boyfriend doesn't text me as much anymore?
My boyfriend would text me everyday all day and now he won't text me first anymore or at all sometimes. Last night he stopped replying to my text so
Is she the rebound
If he leaves a 17 year relationship to date his High School Sweetheart from 32 years ago, is she a rebound ?
I want to break NC after almost 2 months to invite my ex gf to a concert
We have been in NC for almost 2 months after being together for 6 years. She stopped responding to a text i sent her. I saw she was interested in
Online dating, and why it doesn't work well for most men
We discussed this before, and for some reason people got personal and mean about it. So I have no intention of returning to this thread, but I wanted
PLEASE HELP, boyfriend talks to mom 4-5 times per day, very odd relationship....
Hi guys, Always been hesitant to post my personal business online. Anyways... here it goes... So my boyfriend is amazing...(just to throw this
Hurtful joking
My bf jokes about things that are very hurtful. Today was probably one of the most hurtful. He tried to grab my breasts and he does this a lot. He's
He dumped me and won't return my stuff
So I was seeing a guy for a short amount of time. Out of the blue....he blocked me? Fair enough, I get the message, I think it's rude but
Ask For Advice