Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just graduated university and kind of lost on what is next?

mustlovedogs
    ^ but most my lawyer friends are spending 6-12 months finding a job and then they end up being paralegals or doing jobs for the court.

Those figures are once you're actually an attorney

2. Thanks Almira23, gianno thanked for this post
    IThinkICan
    OP, start somewhere, anywhere. Notice what environments you enjoy: working as a team? Working in a solitary environment? Having a predictable day? Always working on something new?

One of my best friends graduated top of her class. Then took TWO YEARS off, waited tables and got trained how to tend bar. Now, she is at the top of her field, producing things we see on TV.

My point is, you are psyching yourself out by focusing on how long it takes, or how many end up on a different path.

I guarantee you, it takes even longer when you wait around looking for something that is easy. In fact, that can take a lifetime.

4. Thanks gianno thanked for this post
    gianno
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mustlovedogs [Register to see the link]
    ^ but most my lawyer friends are spending 6-12 months finding a job and then they end up being paralegals or doing jobs for the court.

Are you guys in the USA? Because in Canada if your a lawyer you are like a shoe in for a good paying job

gianno
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IThinkICan [Register to see the link]
    OP, start somewhere, anywhere. Notice what environments you enjoy: working as a team? Working in a solitary environment? Having a predictable day? Always working on something new?

One of my best friends graduated top of her class. Then took TWO YEARS off, waited tables and got trained how to tend bar. Now, she is at the top of her field, producing things we see on TV.

My point is, you are psyching yourself out by focusing on how long it takes, or how many end up on a different path.

I guarantee you, it takes even longer when you wait around looking for something that is easy. In fact, that can take a lifetime.
    See that's the thing I don't have my mind set on anything, I just want to get started. Already sent out some resumes and cover letters for jobs already. I just need to dive in somewhere and see but I need that opportunity.

IThinkICan
    Why not get a job waiting tables or similar in the meantime

butterfly45
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gianno [Register to see the link]
    Just graduated university with a degree in psychology with a focus on mental health
    Don't know what I want to do with my life ( I really wanted to do law school but haven't taken the lsat yet but I have the means for this career path)
    My main goal right now though is finding a job preferably in my field but for now anything
    I have large amount of loans to payback as well as pay for my rent and other expenses
    Kind of worried how I will be able to afford to live
    My job experience is limited to family run businesses, therefore limited number of viable references
    I'm willing to work any job especially right now even two if I have too, but how do I market myself effectively?
    How do I get employers to take a chance on me even though I have limited experience I have great work ethic and determination to learn anything
    Any tips on my situation would be greatly appreciated.
    I've been where you are. Only now am I studying postgrad in Psychology after years of working multiple jobs in all kinds of fields.
    One route you may want to consider is research assistant jobs (if you are UK based, I can private message you some good websites). Jobs in research tend to be temporary, well-paid positions, working on a funded project. This looks good on your CV. In Psychology it looks good to keep in the loop with universities.

9. Thanks IThinkICan thanked for this post
    gianno
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IThinkICan [Register to see the link]
    Why not get a job waiting tables or similar in the meantime
    Currently trying but it's only been a week so I still have hopes up

gianno
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfly45 [Register to see the link]
    I've been where you are. Only now am I studying postgrad in Psychology after years of working multiple jobs in all kinds of fields.
    One route you may want to consider is research assistant jobs (if you are UK based, I can private message you some good websites). Jobs in research tend to be temporary, well-paid positions, working on a funded project. This looks good on your CV. In Psychology it looks good to keep in the loop with universities.
    I applied to a couple research based positions and talked to the people there, they say they love me as an applicant in all categories expect I don't have much experience. So I need to gain that someway while earning enough to cover my expenses.

catfeeder
    As your 'anything' job for income while you search in your field, consider applying at a number of temp agencies. I started with one closest to home, and I scheduled appointments x3 mornings per week with other agencies, working my radius outward. The do NOT all work with the same firms.

Sending them resumes and expecting calls for any given position is a waste of time, ask for an interview appointment to get on their 'active' roster.

Position doesn't matter, firm does. Grab any assignment inside companies that interest you, as that will give you access to their unpublished jobs for which you may apply from within.

This is how most companies are hiring these days. Temps are a 'try before you buy' scenario for them. Focus is less on how the temps perform a certain role, because that can be changed, but rather whether they're a good 'fit' with the firm in terms of soft skills, reliability, willingness to learn, etc.

Pay is usually better than retail, and your exposure to lots of people can help you to network into your field.

Congrats on your graduation!

Ms Darcy
    Quote Originally Posted by mustlovedogs [Register to see the link]

Yes, I clearly identified that the figures are for when you are an attorney. I guess I'm a little confused as to why one would make that distinction.

Anyway, I was (generally) responding to gianno's comment about how Canadian attorneys make, on average, $80K.

Also, I do want to emphasize that it's a very competitive degree. My friends (3) who went on to high paying jobs graduated near the top of their graduating class.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Top Threads
Disappointed with myself//Apologizing too much
All the 90s babies graduated this year BUT ME. I am graduating next year and I'll be 18. Even though some people do graduate at the age 18 I still
Conundrum
My husband and I have a small side business. We did some work for a neighbour. They are very sweet people under a lot of stress in many ways. Their
What is this guy's deal?
A bit of background: He was supposed to provide me with an overview of his department when I joined. He's a director. He kept re-scheduling every
Driving problems?
Hi all I've posted here before so thankyou for taking time to read. I would class myself as a confident person and you need to be for my job
Am I at a Cross Roads?
Hi Everyone, I am a very career oriented woman and run my own small businesses at only 22 yrs old. However now I have met a really wonderful guy
I'm working again
Family thinks it's a little too soon but no one is paying my bills and I'm very happy with the job I decided to accept. Was offered two others. It's
Sanity check needed
I had a conversation at work yesterday that is throwing me for a loop. I'll try to keep this brief. I'd really appreciate feedback on my behavior

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
I love you, but I'm not in love with you.
So my fiancÚ of 7.5 years has decided she isn't in love with me anymore so has broken up with me. Our situation is very complicated we have a 2.5
How far should I go with unfriending/blocking on social media?
Hi all, I'm going hard no contact. She originally unfriended me on Snap and Twitter. I recently unfriended her on FB and IG. I also went a step
missing atm
I think what I miss at the moment is having a friend to talk to like we used to. She became the only person I really talked to for the better part
Mum boyfriend inapropriate
Hi everyone, thought i would share an update on whats happened so far. Thankyou all for helping me out yesterday, everything you all said was really
Girlfriend always mad at me
Me and my girlfriend have been togetehr for almost a year. I love her more than anything and i know shes not cheating on me or anything like that
I [F/26] found underwear in my boyfriend's [M/30] pocket.
I've been with my boyfriend for over a year. Recently, my boyfriend asked me to look for some money, so I looked everywhere and I couldn't find it. I
Ex gf text me out of the blue
I guess I just want some feedback and honest replies as my head is completely gone again. Me and my ex gf have been in no contact for a few months
Ask For Advice