Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just graduated university and kind of lost on what is next?

mustlovedogs
    ^ but most my lawyer friends are spending 6-12 months finding a job and then they end up being paralegals or doing jobs for the court.

Those figures are once you're actually an attorney

2. Thanks Almira23, gianno thanked for this post
    IAmFCA
    OP, start somewhere, anywhere. Notice what environments you enjoy: working as a team? Working in a solitary environment? Having a predictable day? Always working on something new?

One of my best friends graduated top of her class. Then took TWO YEARS off, waited tables and got trained how to tend bar. Now, she is at the top of her field, producing things we see on TV.

My point is, you are psyching yourself out by focusing on how long it takes, or how many end up on a different path.

I guarantee you, it takes even longer when you wait around looking for something that is easy. In fact, that can take a lifetime.

4. Thanks gianno thanked for this post
    gianno
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mustlovedogs [Register to see the link]
    ^ but most my lawyer friends are spending 6-12 months finding a job and then they end up being paralegals or doing jobs for the court.

Are you guys in the USA? Because in Canada if your a lawyer you are like a shoe in for a good paying job

gianno
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IThinkICan [Register to see the link]
    OP, start somewhere, anywhere. Notice what environments you enjoy: working as a team? Working in a solitary environment? Having a predictable day? Always working on something new?

One of my best friends graduated top of her class. Then took TWO YEARS off, waited tables and got trained how to tend bar. Now, she is at the top of her field, producing things we see on TV.

My point is, you are psyching yourself out by focusing on how long it takes, or how many end up on a different path.

I guarantee you, it takes even longer when you wait around looking for something that is easy. In fact, that can take a lifetime.
    See that's the thing I don't have my mind set on anything, I just want to get started. Already sent out some resumes and cover letters for jobs already. I just need to dive in somewhere and see but I need that opportunity.

IAmFCA
    Why not get a job waiting tables or similar in the meantime

butterfly45
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gianno [Register to see the link]
    Just graduated university with a degree in psychology with a focus on mental health
    Don't know what I want to do with my life ( I really wanted to do law school but haven't taken the lsat yet but I have the means for this career path)
    My main goal right now though is finding a job preferably in my field but for now anything
    I have large amount of loans to payback as well as pay for my rent and other expenses
    Kind of worried how I will be able to afford to live
    My job experience is limited to family run businesses, therefore limited number of viable references
    I'm willing to work any job especially right now even two if I have too, but how do I market myself effectively?
    How do I get employers to take a chance on me even though I have limited experience I have great work ethic and determination to learn anything
    Any tips on my situation would be greatly appreciated.
    I've been where you are. Only now am I studying postgrad in Psychology after years of working multiple jobs in all kinds of fields.
    One route you may want to consider is research assistant jobs (if you are UK based, I can private message you some good websites). Jobs in research tend to be temporary, well-paid positions, working on a funded project. This looks good on your CV. In Psychology it looks good to keep in the loop with universities.

9. Thanks IAmFCA thanked for this post
    gianno
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IThinkICan [Register to see the link]
    Why not get a job waiting tables or similar in the meantime
    Currently trying but it's only been a week so I still have hopes up

gianno
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfly45 [Register to see the link]
    I've been where you are. Only now am I studying postgrad in Psychology after years of working multiple jobs in all kinds of fields.
    One route you may want to consider is research assistant jobs (if you are UK based, I can private message you some good websites). Jobs in research tend to be temporary, well-paid positions, working on a funded project. This looks good on your CV. In Psychology it looks good to keep in the loop with universities.
    I applied to a couple research based positions and talked to the people there, they say they love me as an applicant in all categories expect I don't have much experience. So I need to gain that someway while earning enough to cover my expenses.

catfeeder
    As your 'anything' job for income while you search in your field, consider applying at a number of temp agencies. I started with one closest to home, and I scheduled appointments x3 mornings per week with other agencies, working my radius outward. The do NOT all work with the same firms.

Sending them resumes and expecting calls for any given position is a waste of time, ask for an interview appointment to get on their 'active' roster.

Position doesn't matter, firm does. Grab any assignment inside companies that interest you, as that will give you access to their unpublished jobs for which you may apply from within.

This is how most companies are hiring these days. Temps are a 'try before you buy' scenario for them. Focus is less on how the temps perform a certain role, because that can be changed, but rather whether they're a good 'fit' with the firm in terms of soft skills, reliability, willingness to learn, etc.

Pay is usually better than retail, and your exposure to lots of people can help you to network into your field.

Congrats on your graduation!

Ms Darcy
    Quote Originally Posted by mustlovedogs [Register to see the link]

Yes, I clearly identified that the figures are for when you are an attorney. I guess I'm a little confused as to why one would make that distinction.

Anyway, I was (generally) responding to gianno's comment about how Canadian attorneys make, on average, $80K.

Also, I do want to emphasize that it's a very competitive degree. My friends (3) who went on to high paying jobs graduated near the top of their graduating class.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Top Threads
Hubby wants to change trades
My husband wants to go back to being an officer in the military. He is presently in the military and has been since 1986. He resigned his commission
Taking Out Important Customers - What to Wear and How to Entertain?
So I volunteered to wine and dine some important customers at my new job. I have been here a month and know very little about my company and their
I work at Uber for $300 a week, and I'm paying for a millionaire's taxes
Yes, i know the title sounds absurd and probably sounds like something a troll would write, but it's 100% true. I'm a partial owner of a S Corp
How to handle boss/work situation? :(
I am currently just entering my second tri of pregnancy. The job I have was originally a PT position , as I was in university up til spring. It felt

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
My boyfriend doesn't text me as much anymore?
My boyfriend would text me everyday all day and now he won't text me first anymore or at all sometimes. Last night he stopped replying to my text so
Is she the rebound
If he leaves a 17 year relationship to date his High School Sweetheart from 32 years ago, is she a rebound ?
I want to break NC after almost 2 months to invite my ex gf to a concert
We have been in NC for almost 2 months after being together for 6 years. She stopped responding to a text i sent her. I saw she was interested in
Online dating, and why it doesn't work well for most men
We discussed this before, and for some reason people got personal and mean about it. So I have no intention of returning to this thread, but I wanted
PLEASE HELP, boyfriend talks to mom 4-5 times per day, very odd relationship....
Hi guys, Always been hesitant to post my personal business online. Anyways... here it goes... So my boyfriend is amazing...(just to throw this
Hurtful joking
My bf jokes about things that are very hurtful. Today was probably one of the most hurtful. He tried to grab my breasts and he does this a lot. He's
He dumped me and won't return my stuff
So I was seeing a guy for a short amount of time. Out of the blue....he blocked me? Fair enough, I get the message, I think it's rude but
Ask For Advice