"Getting tested"

mfan

I know, Google, etc, but I think I'll get good info by asking here. How exactly does one "get tested" for STD's? Is it done at your regular physician's office? Do you just say "Please test me for STD's" or do you have to specify particular diseases you want to be tested for or else they don't do them?

Thanks very much.

Well, if you're a woman, typically you'll go to your gyno. Since you're a man though, you can just go to your primary care doctor. Some PCPs will do the test themselves, others may refer you to a urologist, but a good place to start is your primary care physician.

However, not sure what your insurance is, could be costly. A STD clinic such as planned parenthood is also another option for you.

Yes, you make an appointment to be tested for STIs. If you're suspicious of any particular disease / infection, make it known. Some are tested by urine, others by blood. Some screen for the infection itself, others for antibodies. Some can be screened soon after exposure, others will have to wait. It'd be best to speak with a primary care physician with specific questions and details I'm sure you'd rather not be sharing on here.

Standard STI tests for men are chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV and Syphilis. We have no way of testing for HPV in men and herpes isn't part of regular screening unless you have symptoms. At some clinics you can get a blood test (a way to test without symptoms present) for herpes but you have to ask for it and often they will try to talk you out of it.

I think Planned Parenthood is a great place to go for testing.

I hated ing my own finger although i know it's not such a big deal.
I've had to get a lot of varieties of immunizations between the Army and contracting in Mexico. Even so, getting ed in the finger is still #2 on my most hated. Not #1 only because rabies vaccine suuuuuuuuucks.
I've had to get a lot of varieties of immunizations between the Army and contracting in Mexico. Even so, getting ed in the finger is still #2 on my most hated. Not #1 only because rabies vaccine suuuuuuuuucks.

I didn't mind as much someone else doing it but doing it to myself proved wayy harder than I thought.

I did this recently. I didn't have any symptoms for anything going in, just wanted piece of mind. I setup an apointment with my physician and asked to be tested. In addition to physical testing; the traditional *cough* test and checking under the hood, I did (he recommended) the full range of tests. This consisted of taking several vials of blood and a urine sample. The results take about a week.

When I did it I had my physician do it and told him I wanted to be tested for the full battery of STDs. Also, a dozen years ago my boyfriend and I tried the at home HIV tests. I hated ing my own finger although i know it's not such a big deal.

I get stuck in my finger semi regularly for blood donation (they test your iron) and I haaaate it. It's worse than actually getting stuck for the blood donation. I hope for your sake and mine that we never get diabetes because the idea of ing my fingers for life makes me want to cry.

Thanks very much everyone for your helpful responses. Since I haven't been sexually active, this is hypothetical now, but if I should start dating - I always hear "both of you should get tested" and I wasn't sure what that really means. Thanks.

Archived