Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever loaned money to a friend?

force

Have you ever loaned money to a friend?

So my good female friend needed a loan last year and wanted me to ask my guy friend (who loans money) if she could get a loan of $800.00 from him. He said yes and loaned her the money and he even got collateral from her which was a diamond ring and bracelet, then had her sign a promissory note saying if she doesn't pay the interest within that month he can sell the collateral. I later asked him if I could just take over the loan since I had the money and he said I could if I wanted. So I did. I never told her I took over the loan because I decided it would be better to keep money and friendship separate so she still thinks she has the loan from my friend so believes I just collect from her to give to him.

So I have been collecting the interest from her every month plus whatever she can pay in principal then I have her sign a paper saying she paid this amount on this date and the remaining balance. So I haven't received any payment for Dec. so I messaged her that it was time for her payment and she tries to say she already paid for Dec. So we go back and forth and she reluctantly says she'll give it to me this week. She tried to say she gave me the money the middle of Dec. and I didn't have her sign the receipt and I said I always have you sign a receipt. She tried to say that I said don't worry about the receipt. I ALWAYS have her sign the receipt.

WTH?? Does she really think she paid me?? I have all the receipts and even have all the money she paid in a drawer. I have NOTHING for Dec. The bad thing about all this is she's only paid $100 in principal since last July and the rest has been to just cover the interest for the month. I stood my ground and said I don't have it. Now I feel like she's pissed off at me. She paid the last Payment at the end of Nov. so I think she's getting confused with Nov./Dec.

I hate to see this affect our friendship. Am I handling this right? Any suggestions? Advice? I'm really irritated

~Seraphim ~
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Is your buddy a loan shark?

mustlovedogs
    IMO, you shouldn't charge interest to a friend. Or at least not a lot. If her payments are just covering interest and not principal, you're overcharging. You should ask her nicely to double check to be sure if she actually did pay. But if she's adamant that she did, it may be worth to take it as a loss (what's the monthly anyway?) if her friendship is worth more than that monthly payment.

4. Thanks j.man, Hollyj thanked for this post
    Hollyj
    Platinum Member
    I'm curious as to why you didn't tell her? What is the interest rate?

~Seraphim ~
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    If the interest is so high she can't even pay the loan that's Usury . If you can't afford to let the money go when you loan it to a friend never loan it .

7. Thanks Hollyj, j.man thanked for this post
    Fudgie
    I don't loan money to friends, personally. Why did you get involved with these two and their money disputes? You must love drama.

~Seraphim ~
    Usury (/ˈjuːʒəri/) is, as defined today, the practice of making unethical or immoral monetary loans that unfairly enrich the lender. Originally, usury meant interest of any kind. A loan may be considered usurious because of excessive or abusive interest rates or other factors.

j.man
    I've loaned money to friends before. I'm extremely, extremely selective about it and don't lend unless I'd be happy enough with the reason that I wouldn't be resentful if they ended up not being able to pay back, or if it was very delayed.

How much has she paid in total, including the interest?

IMO, it's shallow... real shallow to loan to a friend with interest, especially on such a low amount. $800 isn't bogging down your investment opportunities.

I suppose be as rigid as you want, but I don't think at this point there's any half-way between friend and lender. You're either one or the other, and it won't change even after she pays you back.

11. Thanks ~Seraphim ~, Hollyj thanked for this post
    force
    He is not a loan shark but he does provide loans to me and his friends at 5% and MY friends or people I recommend at 10%. He doesn't loan out money often. He just conducts loans professional manner that's why he will do collateral.

force
    I hate to rollover on this loan. Sure she's a friend but if you give someone an inch they take a mile. She knew the terms before she got the loan and agreed to them. This loan was done in a more professional manner. I have a loan out with the same guy friend who loaned her the money and I pay him strictly at the beginning of the month no matter what. He charges me 5%.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Top Threads
Hubby wants to change trades
My husband wants to go back to being an officer in the military. He is presently in the military and has been since 1986. He resigned his commission
Taking Out Important Customers - What to Wear and How to Entertain?
So I volunteered to wine and dine some important customers at my new job. I have been here a month and know very little about my company and their
How to handle boss/work situation? :(
I am currently just entering my second tri of pregnancy. The job I have was originally a PT position , as I was in university up til spring. It felt

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
My boyfriend doesn't text me as much anymore?
My boyfriend would text me everyday all day and now he won't text me first anymore or at all sometimes. Last night he stopped replying to my text so
Is she the rebound
If he leaves a 17 year relationship to date his High School Sweetheart from 32 years ago, is she a rebound ?
I want to break NC after almost 2 months to invite my ex gf to a concert
We have been in NC for almost 2 months after being together for 6 years. She stopped responding to a text i sent her. I saw she was interested in
Online dating, and why it doesn't work well for most men
We discussed this before, and for some reason people got personal and mean about it. So I have no intention of returning to this thread, but I wanted
PLEASE HELP, boyfriend talks to mom 4-5 times per day, very odd relationship....
Hi guys, Always been hesitant to post my personal business online. Anyways... here it goes... So my boyfriend is amazing...(just to throw this
Hurtful joking
My bf jokes about things that are very hurtful. Today was probably one of the most hurtful. He tried to grab my breasts and he does this a lot. He's
He dumped me and won't return my stuff
So I was seeing a guy for a short amount of time. Out of the blue....he blocked me? Fair enough, I get the message, I think it's rude but
Ask For Advice