Pre-Menopause and Anger/Bad Moods

boltnrun

Has anyone experience extreme anger, frustration and plain old bad moods in pre-menopause?

I am so, so angry a lot of the time! I cannot stand slow drivers, delays like accidents on the highway, people who stand in the middle of an aisle at a department or grocery store blocking the aisle while texting or deciding what flavor of Doritos they want, people who are IN MY WAY!! And who are SLOWING ME DOWN!! Also what should be minor annoyances like not being able to get the cap off the toothpaste as quickly as I feel I should.

I just get so furious! I am in my car, cursing these people and calling them all kinds of names (inside my car, I don't yell directly at them lol!). I am at home, yelling and carrying on if some water splatters on my shirt while I'm washing dishes. God forbid I can't get the lid off the jar of olives immediately! A loud rant ensues. I throw stuff. Good thing my cat is my only housemate.

Anyway, it's like I have permanent PMS. And I hate it. I know it's irrational and I know it's stupid, but I've been unable to stop it. My doctor put me on hormones and it helped not at all.

Any diet or exercise suggestions? Any help at all? I'm going to end up a real pain in the butt who no one wants to be around if this continues.

I started menopause early . I started at 43 and I was done by 47 . Thankfully I haven't had my period in three years . As soon as my hormones slow down the bad temper left . ( well I have some amount of bad temper because I have PTSD but ... that doesn't usually come out in most circumstances) but yeah when the hormones equalize you'll feel a lot better .

Unfortunately, my periods are still going strong. It's been almost 7 years in "pre-menopause". I am ready for this to stop already! (Cue the curses and throwing objects).

My doctor said it could be another 10 years. My friends and family will transport me to a deserted island by then.

I'm 54 and pretty sure I'm going through menopause. I am lucky that I dont have hot flushes but I have anger issues, forgetfulness, foggy brain, my skin is really dry, I'm emotional, irrational & have days of hating everyone 😞 I am also bone numbingly tired most of the time.

I ended up having to tell my Boss ( a male) as I was making so many stupid mistakes.

I had an ablation about 7 years ago ( burning of the uterus lining) so haven't had a physical period since then.

My Dr has given me a form to get a blood test to check my hormone levels but I haven't had it done yet.

Well, it's been almost 7 years and no hot flashes. So I think I might have dodged that bullet.

I just wish my stupid periods would stop. My doctor offered me ablation but confirmed that it would do nothing to help with my moods and wouldn't help with the extreme fatigue. So I said no. But it is ridiculous that I have to take birth control pills at my age when there are no births to control!

Well, it's been almost 7 years and no hot flashes. So I think I might have dodged that bullet.

I just wish my stupid periods would stop. My doctor offered me ablation but confirmed that it would do nothing to help with my moods and wouldn't help with the extreme fatigue. So I said no. But it is ridiculous that I have to take birth control pills at my age when there are no births to control!

You are lucky! They suck!!!

• 3 weeks later...

If you can find a doctor (or naturopath) who works with bio-identical hormones, you might want to get your progesterone levels checked. I was feeling exactly like you, but last year I went to a naturopath who tested me and I started on progesterone cream (my level was at 0). It has made me soooooo much calmer and less irritable. Not a perfect fix, as the body still does have fluctuating levels of hormones during perimenopause, but it made a big difference.

Regular MDs tend to be skeptical of this approach, and I was too- but I was so desperate for some relief, I decided to give it a go.

Archived