Rude Family Members Refuse to Accept that I Hate Drinking Alchol

WhoCares01

I'm underage. But my aunt and my cousins don't/won't accept the fact I don't like drinking beer or anything with alchol in it. No I'm not "wimpy" I just hate how that garbage makes me you feel. They say "oh drink it it is healthy" except I don't care if it is healthy I don't enjoy the taste and I don't enjoy how it makes you feel. What would you do? I tell them no but they don't listen. If they pester me about this today when I see them, should I cuss this time to really get my point across? Say if I'm drinking something else(sometimes when I'm not looking they will switch my cup out for alcohol. What would you do?

Hold your ground and tell them you have no desire to drink, that you simply don't like it and that you have a right to make your own choices. Ask the to please not mock you because of that choice. It has nothing to do with being wimpy, it's just a matter of taste and preference.

I'll echo the others. Don't give in. Show them that your character is stronger than their peer pressure. You're not the only person who doesn't drink alcohol.

If they ask, just say "no thanks". If they persist, then you can either walk way or tell them firmly, "I said the no, and that's not going to change."

Happy Holidays.

I remember visiting cousins in the past and alcohol was an important part of their lives. They didn't pressure me to drink, but I got the feeling they thought I was the outsider nerd in a school clique. I think when someone doesn't drink, subconsciously they feel guilty and wonder if they have a problem. They feel better when everyone is doing it.

Fast forward to present day, several of those cousins are now sober, having attended AA meetings and they proclaim to enjoy their lives so much more now.

What would I do? I'd bring my own bottled drink so they can't switch it up. I'd say: I'd like to enjoy my day with you, but I can't if you pressure me to do what I don't want to do. For the last time, don't bring this subject up again. If they ignore you and still ask, don't answer. Change the subject.

Do you have to spend time there? You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your relatives. Spend the day the way you want to, with people you don't have to struggle with, if you have a choice. If you do have to spend time there, I'd bring something like a book or handheld video game or anything to keep you occupied, so that if they badger you, you can go into another room or out back if they have a patio. Show them that if they don't treat you right, they will lose the pleasure of your company.

Be cheerful and stupid as the late Dr. Joy Browne used to say. "Thanks so much for the offer but I'll pass, thanks!" If you get push back simply say "thanks again! I'll pass - can I get you some more [food item, napkin, etc]"

good idea. i think you previously also suggested having a drink in your hand that looks like an alcoholic beverage but isn't (something like cranberry juice with soda) so people don't ask to get you a drink.

Don't let their bad habits influence you or make you feel bad. It's their problem, not yours. You have a right to your opinion and your own preferences, if you don't like alcohol, that's perfectly acceptable.

Just politely decline and if they keep pushing, do your best to ignore it. I hope they respect your decision enough to lay off.

Just say no and walk away. Dont let them push you into doing something that you dont want to do and is also illegal since you are under age. Your relatives are foolish for doing this to you.

Swearing at them is an option but it's not going to get you what you want, which is for them to leave you alone. Be polite and firm and say no, then turn around and walk away. Dont let them get to you.

Stand by your ground. Don't do what you don't want to do. It's pretty pathetic that they care.

Another option is to get a beer and just carry it around but not drink it, or maybe have like a sip or two. When people see that, they tend to care less. When I stopped drinking, people would give me hell if I was drinking water. If i drank a coke in a glass, they assumed it was alcoholic and never bothered me.

good idea. i think you previously also suggested having a drink in your hand that looks like an alcoholic beverage but isn't (something like cranberry juice with soda) so people don't ask to get you a drink.

Yes, I've done that at a bar - good memory!! (I order sparkling water with a splash of cranberry juice and a twist of lime). I have to say, when I was in my early 40s I went to a dinner at a steakhouse with a group of women around that age give or take. The woman sitting next to me, in her 30s, was trying to pressure me to have some wine. I wasn't in the mood -sleep deprived already from having an infant at home - and I mentioned ,in conversation, that I'd never been drunk -she said in kind of mean spirited way "wow I feel sorry for you". So, it doesn't stop when people are well into adulthood -there always will be people who interfere that way or get into the whole peer pressure to get drunk kind of thing.

Archived