Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: So how screwed am I at this point?

  1. #1
    greta96
    Platinum Member greta96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,621
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    3026

    So how screwed am I at this point?

    I've been at my job 4+ years, and (as far as I know) my co-workers like me both professionally and as a person. I work well and fast, no mistakes, get along with everybody, etc. However, I'm not the most social person ever, I only socialize when I have to, I have never involved myself in party planning or the likes - I basically go to work, do my job, am pleasant to everyone I interact with and go home.

    Well, a few months ago they hired another woman to work side by side with me. Naturally, being new she has been going above and beyond to endear herself to everyone. I trained her and she took detailed notes, so now she can do the job almost as well as I can (it's really not difficult). But since the day she started she came up with lots of ideas, planned a party, offered her help in various departments (as one does when they want to impress), and most recently gave Xmas presents to a few of us - a tradition we haven't had before. Everyone seems to be head over heels over her, she is a very good kiss-a$$ even though intelligence-wise she's not all that. But hey, based on previous experience, in today's superficial society, a$$ kissing seems to be more valued than skill and intelligence.

    Plus, from day one she confessed that she hates women with a certain hair color and body type - which coincidentally happen to be mine. That felt good (not!).

    Now I worry that even though professionally I am good, she will end up stealing my job because of her strategy. Truth be told, there is no need for 2 people to do this job, one would handle it without a problem. I never kiss a$$, I have always depended on my skills and never felt the need to kiss up to anyone. I have been previously fired from a job where I was highly appreciated by everybody only because some boss' relative needed a job, so I am aware in business nothing is fair, and good job skills don't guarantee anything.

    So, do you guys think I should worry? Start looking for a new job in the new year? What would you do?

  2. #2
    j.man
    Platinum Member j.man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,022
    Thanked
    6613
    Worried for your position? Honestly, maybe. Worried about having a job? I'm not so sure. You've been there 4+ years and have a good reputation and work ethic. If she were to make your job redundant, I'm thinking they'd have use for you elsewhere. Companies value loyalty and competency.

    Personally, I'm not a big ass kisser, but I do game my own way. I'll figure out a boss' humor and definitely play to it. So I can't really fault the folks who utilize their charisma. Worrying won't help you much, but it's good that you're seeing the need for a competitive edge. It may be worth it to sit down with your supervisor and express interest in professionally developing within the company and seeing about any skills that are in demand, new interfaces being introduced, etc. Is there opportunity for upward mobility with his company? Or is it very small / family owned?

    And do some honest reflection. I don't know your field, and even if I did, you'd know better than me. What's in development that you can get a head start on? How's the industry changing? What's something you know you could improve on, even if you are good at it? You work well and fest, which is great. Looking back, when's the last time you feel you noticeably improved, though?

  3. Thanks greta96 thanked for this post
  4. #3
    j.man
    Platinum Member j.man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,022
    Thanked
    6613
    Also, are you satisfied with your pay and responsibilities after 4 years? Job on the line or not, it may be worth it send some resumes out simply to see if you can't get a better pay or position with your years of experience.

  5. #4
    tattoobunnie
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,489
    Thanked
    564
    You have seniority - why would they fire you?

    But remember, copy cats get ahead. Meaning if your boss comes early, you come early. If they dress a certain way, you do as well.

    And taking a personal interest in others (especially your boss) is not a$$-kissing as well. It makes you human. All you have to do is share something small about yourself, and let others share more about themselves. It's rapport. People see this as a reflection of how you would do if you grow into a management position, or work with customers. It's a game, and you need to put yourself out there. There is a reason why networking is effective for career growth and development.

  6. #5
    tattoobunnie
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,489
    Thanked
    564
    I should also share, I've had employees kiss my a$$, buy me things, take me out, and at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. I keep the ones great at the job.

  7. Thanks greta96 thanked for this post
  8. #6
    mustlovedogs
    Gold Member mustlovedogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    920
    Thanked
    698
    I think there's something to be said for being well liked at a job. My favorite jobs have been the ones where I really got along with my coworkers, and I don't think it's a coincidence that those teams also felt the most functional.

    It may be worthwhile to try and work on being more social at work. I understand it's your nature, but trying to foster your social side just a bit more will help your career in a lot of ways: well liked people subconsciously get preferential treatment, you'll gain more visibility for promotions, etc.

  9. Thanks greta96 thanked for this post
  10. #7
    greta96
    Platinum Member greta96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,621
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    3026
    Quote Originally Posted by j.man [Register to see the link]
    Worried for your position? Honestly, maybe. Worried about having a job? I'm not so sure. You've been there 4+ years and have a good reputation and work ethic. If she were to make your job redundant, I'm thinking they'd have use for you elsewhere. Companies value loyalty and competency.

    Personally, I'm not a big ass kisser, but I do game my own way. I'll figure out a boss' humor and definitely play to it. So I can't really fault the folks who utilize their charisma. Worrying won't help you much, but it's good that you're seeing the need for a competitive edge. It may be worth it to sit down with your supervisor and express interest in professionally developing within the company and seeing about any skills that are in demand, new interfaces being introduced, etc. Is there opportunity for upward mobility with his company? Or is it very small / family owned?

    And do some honest reflection. I don't know your field, and even if I did, you'd know better than me. What's in development that you can get a head start on? How's the industry changing? What's something you know you could improve on, even if you are good at it? You work well and fest, which is great. Looking back, when's the last time you feel you noticeably improved, though?
    It's a small family operated business, with no room for growth. I can't really say I've improved anything lately, here once you master the ins and outs of the job you're pretty much done, so there really isn't anything else I could learn. I love the job because there is not too much drama, everyone is pretty nice and it is also close to home, the pay is decent...all in all, not the type of job I would want to leave (or get dismissed from).

    I guess it's just my previous experience with this type of people, and how they've always managed to push me aside over the years, despite me having done a good job always. For example, years ago I managed a large territory all by myself for 2 years, I had made connections, etc. On the 3rd year they hired me this woman to help, and she started sleeping with most of my clients and stealing them from me (we were in sales), and she basically ruined all the relationships I had built all on my own through honest work...until I quit because I didn't want to deal with it anymore. And there have been more similar occurrences, which is why I am now paranoid :/

  11. #8
    greta96
    Platinum Member greta96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,621
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    3026
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoobunnie [Register to see the link]
    I should also share, I've had employees kiss my a$$, buy me things, take me out, and at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. I keep the ones great at the job.
    This is encouraging

  12. #9
    greta96
    Platinum Member greta96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,621
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    3026
    Quote Originally Posted by mustlovedogs [Register to see the link]
    I think there's something to be said for being well liked at a job. My favorite jobs have been the ones where I really got along with my coworkers, and I don't think it's a coincidence that those teams also felt the most functional.

    It may be worthwhile to try and work on being more social at work. I understand it's your nature, but trying to foster your social side just a bit more will help your career in a lot of ways: well liked people subconsciously get preferential treatment, you'll gain more visibility for promotions, etc.
    Yes, it is becoming apparent that I should step up my interactions with people, especially my boss. I do chat now and then, when I'm in her area, but I think I should make it a point to do it daily and for longer. Thank you for the reminder!

  13. #10
    j.man
    Platinum Member j.man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,022
    Thanked
    6613
    I'd actually strongly encourage you to check out what other opportunities are out there. Not because I feel like you're under real threat, but just with the nature of small, family businesses, these kinds of scares aren't exactly few or far between. And with there being a very low ceiling for professional development, as you said, there's only so much you can learn and improve on without having the opportunity to take on more responsibilities.

  14. Thanks greta96 thanked for this post
  15.  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
Which credit card debt should I start paying first?
Have $500 to pay one first and wanted to ask which one I should pay first The one that I owe $ 700 or $2900? Thanks a lot
I think I messed up my life and I'm only 25:(
I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm 5 months away from getting my BS in IT (option in cybersecurity) and I feel so depressed. My only jobs have
how to not care about what people think
My mother was critical, nothing I did was ever enough. I would spend huge amounts of energy to make her happy and appreciate me. Now, sometimes
career advice for a single mother
hi, I am a single mom of two, i need career advice and tips on how to manage work and life. I get too stressed up at times where I feel I am the only
Cna test anxiety
I took my CNA exam last year in June I passed the written test and failed the skill test should I go take the whole course over again or just go

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Which credit card debt should I start paying first?
Have $500 to pay one first and wanted to ask which one I should pay first The one that I owe $ 700 or $2900? Thanks a lot
Am I Being Body Shamed by my boyfriend?
Let me just start by saying I am a pretty tiny person. I would say I'm "model-skinny" so to speak, but I don't starve myself by any means. I am
My girlfriend constantly makes flirtatious jokes about other guys to me. Help?
So, my girlfriend constantly (and I mean constantly, we're probably talking maybe 5 times or so every time we hang out?) makes comments about other
He's just not ready?! - What I've learned and your views please
Dear All, I've read so much around this and feel I've made a good strong decision but I'm looking for your thoughts. 4 weeks ago I met a guy
Am I getting cold feet?
My partner and I have been engaged for about a year now and have been together for over three years. We are an older couple so we both know what we
What should I do about my controlling parents?
I am 20, still living with my parents and they control my life. They won't allow me to online date but I do it anyway. They check my phone every day
Should I reach out to him after he disappeared?
I went on handful of dates with a guy, and after our last date I decided not to initiate any more (it was like 50% me before) and see what he does
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •