Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So how screwed am I at this point?

Scoe141
    Any ideas as to why they brought this woman on? Perhaps she's been crunching numbers late at night? (If you know what I mean.) And she "needed" a job, and this position foot the bill.

That being said, you could always ask your supervisor if you have anything to worry about. Or like j.man said start putting some feelers out there.

Good luck and kudos to you for being yourself.

2. Thanks greta96 thanked for this post
    greta96
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoe141 [Register to see the link]
    Any ideas as to why they brought this woman on? Perhaps she's been crunching numbers late at night? (If you know what I mean.) And she "needed" a job, and this position foot the bill.

That being said, you could always ask your supervisor if you have anything to worry about. Or like j.man said start putting some feelers out there.

Good luck and kudos to you for being yourself.
    She was brought aboard because business got very busy right before I went on vacation this year and they were afraid my stand-in wasn't going to be able to do it all. Of course things went back to normal soon after I came back, and now there's barely enough work for all of us. Bad timing really...

Scoe141
    Quote Originally Posted by greta96 [Register to see the link]
    She was brought aboard because business got very busy right before I went on vacation this year and they were afraid my stand-in wasn't going to be able to do it all. Of course things went back to normal soon after I came back, and now there's barely enough work for all of us. Bad timing really...
    Ah that makes sense. Well I hope it works out and you're not stressing too much.

Keep us posted.

5. Thanks greta96 thanked for this post
    Maritime22

Now I am not replying to sugar coat anything for you, so I apologize in advance... But...as a woman. A woman who was once upon a year ago a District Manager of a small finance company. Our stories can relate. I hired many, only for a horrible boss to fire them once they didn't not necessarily perform but satisfy his ego so for two years I kept scouring for just the right kind of employee to train and successfully support this company I was essentially running for him...
    I found her one day. She was not the most insightful in fact she was older than my boss enjoys in his buildings and struggled during her training period and shortly after, but she had a great spirit and attitude that a great trainer knows they cannot make for an employee they can only secure as a foundation.
    She ended up being the one to get me fired and discredited from the owner of the company. Now my entire team didn't believe or trust her, that was always an issue without specifics, but I as a professional gave her the benefit of doubt and even when the owner randomly wanted to fire her for various reasons I put forth my best to fairly keep her and allow her to grow. She wasn't a top performer but a year later I had a significant issue with her. One day a loyal client (who knew me before management) called all the offices just to speak with me specifically, which was rare because the offices kept me as a secret to avoid angry clients to target me to harm me because ultimately I made the total decisions in their accounts. He informed that this employee was gossiping about me on the phone with supervisor in our headquarters office. That she was making wild claims about my performance or attitude. At the time of incident I figured it was totally out of her nature or character, but have found that A$$ kissing will not get your necessarily to places but secure you for sure.
    I reported this incident to headquarters and was drafting a conference to investigate these claims that could even be harmful to the companies legitimacy when the owner said, "no, I will handle this". And two weeks later I was taken off as the financial control person of the company and fired. The past 6 months before all this she had become FB friends with the owner and just a fun person to stroke his ego and they would spend hours discussing blatant lies about decisions or events taking place (she had the tendency to do things without my approval and cause a headache later I would resolve with clients)

I don't want to feed your fears but I made my mistakes. I did go above and beyond EVERY DAY, and that is irrelevant to your issue. What is relevant is that often not because she is "new" but because she may appeal to your higher ups and stir trouble. She has already made a stance to blatantly inform she doesn't like you. If she is getting closer to your supervisor it won't be long. Find ways to highlight your seniority and experience in the office so you can at least say you tried. I wish more women would support each other in the workplace, especially where I live, however, there are multiple studies where men but especially women can deter from professional standards based off of personal biases.

7. Thanks greta96 thanked for this post
    greta96
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritime22 [Register to see the link]
    Now I am not replying to sugar coat anything for you, so I apologize in advance... But...as a woman. A woman who was once upon a year ago a District Manager of a small finance company. Our stories can relate. I hired many, only for a horrible boss to fire them once they didn't not necessarily perform but satisfy his ego so for two years I kept scouring for just the right kind of employee to train and successfully support this company I was essentially running for him...
    I found her one day. She was not the most insightful in fact she was older than my boss enjoys in his buildings and struggled during her training period and shortly after, but she had a great spirit and attitude that a great trainer knows they cannot make for an employee they can only secure as a foundation.
    She ended up being the one to get me fired and discredited from the owner of the company. Now my entire team didn't believe or trust her, that was always an issue without specifics, but I as a professional gave her the benefit of doubt and even when the owner randomly wanted to fire her for various reasons I put forth my best to fairly keep her and allow her to grow. She wasn't a top performer but a year later I had a significant issue with her. One day a loyal client (who knew me before management) called all the offices just to speak with me specifically, which was rare because the offices kept me as a secret to avoid angry clients to target me to harm me because ultimately I made the total decisions in their accounts. He informed that this employee was gossiping about me on the phone with supervisor in our headquarters office. That she was making wild claims about my performance or attitude. At the time of incident I figured it was totally out of her nature or character, but have found that A$$ kissing will not get your necessarily to places but secure you for sure.
    I reported this incident to headquarters and was drafting a conference to investigate these claims that could even be harmful to the companies legitimacy when the owner said, "no, I will handle this". And two weeks later I was taken off as the financial control person of the company and fired. The past 6 months before all this she had become FB friends with the owner and just a fun person to stroke his ego and they would spend hours discussing blatant lies about decisions or events taking place (she had the tendency to do things without my approval and cause a headache later I would resolve with clients)

I don't want to feed your fears but I made my mistakes. I did go above and beyond EVERY DAY, and that is irrelevant to your issue. What is relevant is that often not because she is "new" but because she may appeal to your higher ups and stir trouble. She has already made a stance to blatantly inform she doesn't like you. If she is getting closer to your supervisor it won't be long. Find ways to highlight your seniority and experience in the office so you can at least say you tried. I wish more women would support each other in the workplace, especially where I live, however, there are multiple studies where men but especially women can deter from professional standards based off of personal biases.
    Ugh what happened to you was awful! I couldn't agree more, I really wish people stopped being this competitive, why can't we all just do our best at work, do our own portion of the job well so we can earn our living and go home to live the rest of our lives, you know? Without agendas, a$$ kissing, back stabbing... We spend so much time working anyway...why not make it pleasant and peaceful?

Batya33
    Platinum Member
    "And taking a personal interest in others (especially your boss) is not a$$-kissing as well. It makes you human. All you have to do is share something small about yourself, and let others share more about themselves. It's rapport. People see this as a reflection of how you would do if you grow into a management position, or work with customers. It's a game, and you need to put yourself out there. There is a reason why networking is effective for career growth and development."

I agree with this entirely. I wouldn't assume her intentions aren't genuine (obviously part of her intention is to be recognized at work which is totally normal). I've been at a new job for 3 months. I try to re-fill/add to the candy dish in the hallway, donated to every holiday-related fund (even though I just started and am part-time), and I am friendly although not chatty. I show up at every office sponsored event if I am in the office. I've had lunch with two people from different departments -one I met at an office seminar and struck up a conversation -now she's introduced me to several in her department at a recent lunch. You don't have to do that but please don't think of it in such negative terms. It's essential if you want to either get promoted within or get a new/better job. It's part of your work -not as important as the bottom line/productivity but way up there IMO.

10. Thanks greta96 thanked for this post
    greta96
    Quote Originally Posted by Batya33 [Register to see the link]
    I agree with this entirely. I wouldn't assume her intentions aren't genuine (obviously part of her intention is to be recognized at work which is totally normal). I've been at a new job for 3 months. I try to re-fill/add to the candy dish in the hallway, donated to every holiday-related fund (even though I just started and am part-time), and I am friendly although not chatty. I show up at every office sponsored event if I am in the office. I've had lunch with two people from different departments -one I met at an office seminar and struck up a conversation -now she's introduced me to several in her department at a recent lunch. You don't have to do that but please don't think of it in such negative terms. It's essential if you want to either get promoted within or get a new/better job. It's part of your work -not as important as the bottom line/productivity but way up there IMO.
    It definitely is important, and it's something I completely neglected once I got comfortable in the job. I will need to work on that... New Year's resolution

Batya33
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greta96 [Register to see the link]
    It definitely is important, and it's something I completely neglected once I got comfortable in the job. I will need to work on that... New Year's resolution
    Good for you, really! I know it takes effort and precious free time/energy. I do think it's worth it. Happy New Year.

13. Thanks greta96 thanked for this post
    greta96
    Quote Originally Posted by Batya33 [Register to see the link]
    Good for you, really! I know it takes effort and precious free time/energy. I do think it's worth it. Happy New Year.
    Thank you, Happy New Year to you too!

LiamLondon
    Quote Originally Posted by j.man [Register to see the link]
    I'd actually strongly encourage you to check out what other opportunities are out there. Not because I feel like you're under real threat, but just with the nature of small, family businesses, these kinds of scares aren't exactly few or far between. And with there being a very low ceiling for professional development, as you said, there's only so much you can learn and improve on without having the opportunity to take on more responsibilities.
    Spot on. Not to mention I've vicariously seen cases where people move from family run businesses into the same role at another firm to find that the way they were trained at the family business was not up to industry standard (albeit I wouldn't describe this as a norm in family run businesses).

The only time I ever used an employment lawyer was with a major firm but my lawyer found that they dealt with him sensibly and did point out that his most challenging cases were always with small firms as they tend to try numerous things that aren't above board, while major firms don't want their reputation damaged. At least that's the simplistic way of looking at it - to illustrate my point, when a friend was being fired by a family run realty business I put her in touch with my lawyer who spent the guts of a week going back and forth explaining to her boss "no, legally you to do this or that if you want to fire her", whereas the redundancy issue with my former employer took 90 minutes to sort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Top Threads
How to I tell potential employers my reasons for leaving?
I'm currently sending out applications with my resume for another job. I've been at this one for almost one year, and I can't take the racism and
Buying a house and retirement
Retirement has been weighing heavily on mine and my husband's mines . In the grand scheme of life it's only 12 years away for him and 10 for me
34 years old and looking for work
So I'm going to be graduating from University with an Arts degree with a double major in Sociology and English and, ideally, I want to enter the
How do I ask for the rest of the money politely?
I'm in my senior year of college and I'm working with a start up company for an internship to make some extra money. I was told in the beginning that
Major screw up at work :(
Hi Guys, Need some advice/help. I'm employed as an office manager - each employee is given a phone and they are expected to have it with them
High school is ending
It's the moment I've been waiting for but also the moment I dread the most. I've been working extremely hard throughout highschool also graduating
LinkedIn Post - Announce Career Search?
Hello eNA! I will be graduating in a few short weeks and I'm presently looking for a job. I have had a handful of interviews recently, which is

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Completely Confused? What does this mean?
Hi All- I was dating a guy for almost a year. We had a pretty great relationship- Things got serious. We told each other we loved each other. Even
Boyfriend told me he couldn't afford holiday, next day books one to Thailand
Basically my boyfriend of 6 months is $40k in debt (I'm debt-free). We had talked about going to Vietnam and he said he needed 6 months to save up
Not a regular here, I have a few questions...
I'll try to make this brief. Been in a relationship (23F) with a man (35) for 5 years. Typical in the beginning, though I always wondered how he
Weed or Me
Hi, I have been dating my boyfriend for a few months - he is 31 and I am 24. He has recently started smoking weed every night and I don't really
Is He Hiding from Me?
Hi All, Need some advice from those that are familiar with social media apps such as Instagram.. I'v been friends with this guy for about a
Red flag in friendship
I've been through a terrible first break up and was in a lot of pain. I was physically and mentally sick due to the stress of the break up but I'm
I broke hard NC after 7 months (B I G M I S T A K E)
No surprise, I'm absolutely devastated. She pretty much blew me off like I was a piece of trash. At first I was happy because she actually responded
Ask For Advice