Ask For Advice

Thread: Should I move to a bigger city for the culture and better pay?

whitwhit
    Bronze Member

Should I move to a bigger city for the culture and better pay?

Recently, I have been feeling that I have outgrown the city in which I currently live. Right now I live in Qingdao, China. To be honest, this city doesnít have too much to entertain me. The expat social scene is either deadly quiet (think old farts sitting around talking smack about everything), or too wild (think african college students living their binge drinking fantasies). In nearly two years of living here, besides my roommate and my boyfriend, I havenít found a social group here. Chinese or foreign. It hasnít worked out. I can count on my hand the number of women without children in their late 20's, early 30's that live close enough to maintain a friendship- and I haven't clicked with any of them.

I also work for a company that really doesnít pay me what I could be making elsewhere. The issue is that the highest paying gigs around here (for those in education) are for traditional classroom teachers in international school. I do not want to do that. I prefer working with teens who want to study abroad- helping them with standardised tests and college applications. If I do that job around here, I will make about the same as I do now- and be committed to a new job for another year in a city I donít enjoy.

The issue is that my boyfriend will be enrolled in University for about 7 more months in this city. Now, heís doing an internship, and self study course that allows him a lot of free time. But still, if I leave, I will see him a lot less. Currently we live together. We are madly in love, its kind of gross... haha.

I have the opportunity to move to a bigger city, such as Shanghai. Which would allow me to find more enjoyable work, give me access to more diverse cultural events, surround me with more like-minded people...etc. But I would have to live away from my boyfriend, and I would be living in a much more expensive city.... which could hurt my savings if I am not careful.

In the past, I havenít been the best saver. What I have put away right now is the most Iíve ever had, but perhaps Iíve grown up enough not to squander it.

I also have a history of moving every 2 years. I lived in New York City for 2 years, then Osaka, Japan for 2 years, now Qingdao... I am not sure if this pattern is good, bad, or neutral...

Pros of moving:
    Potential for higher income job
    More interesting social life
    More international city
    Easier travel to other places (flights from SH are cheaper)

Cons of moving:
    Another big change
    Partially long distance (boyfriend has agreed to visit for a week out of every month)
    Shanghai is expensive, easy to overspend!
    Possible loneliness

What do you think? Is it worth the risk, or should I wait for my boyfriend to finish school and decide what to do from there?

The thought of moving is very exciting, but also a little scary. My gut says do it, but I am not sure.

I put my resume on a jobs site and have been getting people emailing me- so I think I could definitely find somewhere if I put my mind to it.

Wiseman2
    Were you offered a job there? How interested is your bf in joining you there or a ldr for several months?
    Quote Originally Posted by whitwhit [Register to see the link]
    The issue is that my boyfriend will be enrolled in University for about 7 more months in this city.I have the opportunity to move to a bigger city, such as Shanghai.

Andrina
    Yes, I would definitely move. Since your bf will eventually move with you, you have no people ties to your present place. The only decision you have is when to move. I'd make a pros and cons list of moving now versus moving together with him. It's probably financially wiser to wait for him, so that you can share the rent and you won't be lonely without him.

whitwhit
    Bronze Member
    He's in doing a bachelors in medicine. This is his last year (the internship and exam year). When he finishes in July- he's going to go back to his home country to study and get his licence, before applying to a masters/PHD program. He doesn't plan to 'join me' there permanently. But he doesn't know when he will be ready to further his degree after graduating. It could take him a full year to pass his licensing exam. I have no plans to stay in Qingdao after he leaves.
    He's from Nepal. I am not interested in living there. Neither is he. He doesn't want me to live there either.

The plan is that he applies to medical school either in the states, Australia, Singapore, or Germany. Once he gets in, we work out how I am going to go there. At the moment, we think it will be the US (I am American, it would be hard for him- but we have talked about marriage).

So the idea is, I need to find something good for me career and money-wise. That's why SH is appealing to me.

I could get a job in SH fairly quickly. I have a lot of experience and the job market is china is skewed in favor of the foreign employee.

whitwhit
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrina [Register to see the link]
    It's probably financially wiser to wait for him, so that you can share the rent and you won't be lonely without him.
    He doesn't plan to live in SH. So I wouldn't be sharing rent with him... Also he said that he would commit to staying with me for a week out of every month.

The real issue is would I be able to keep saving money- or would I spend everything.

j.man
    Big difference whether you should and whether any of us would.

I've seen enough people stumble and fall moving into big cities unprepared and not finding work to pay the bills. Personally, I'd remote interview and potentially even fly / train out for in-person interviews prior to actually quitting your job and moving.

As far as whether you should or not... that's entirely up to you. Some people take big risks and gain big from them. Others pretty much instantly free fall. You know your life and interests better than any of us do. You're by far the most qualified to answer that question.

ParisPaulette
    Platinum Member
    When you're young, living in a big city is often times the better choice if you like things to do, new places to see, more opportunities. I did it when I was younger and have few regrets. As you get older that may and likely will change, but then again maybe not.

Regardless while you're still somewhat free to move around there is nothing to prevent you from moving, more than once even if you like, to find out what you do or don't like. Keep your options open, try it out, but line up work before you go. A city is really no place to be if you're broke and can't afford to live there.

Otherwise I'm one of those people who favor the idea of people traveling to see what else is out there and to find an area where they can grow and thrive and enjoy it.

Ms Darcy
    Quote Originally Posted by whitwhit [Register to see the link]
    he expat social scene is either deadly quiet (think old farts sitting around talking smack about everything), or too wild (think african college students living their binge drinking fantasies).
    Wow, that's not wildly offensive and ignorant at all.

9. Thanks Wiseman2, reinventmyself thanked for this post

Top Threads
I'm 20 and I have no clue what I want in life?
Hey guys, I'm a 20 year old girl who basically has no direction in life as of the moment. I'm in my third year of college, majoring in Accounting
I work at Uber for $300 a week, and I'm paying for a millionaire's taxes
Yes, i know the title sounds absurd and probably sounds like something a troll would write, but it's 100% true. I'm a partial owner of a S Corp
Should I quit my full time job to work part time?
Should I quit my full time job to work part time? At the moment I work 40 hours a week with sporadic days off, rarely 2 days off in a row. Most
Living in a Caravan. Is this a crazy idea?
So, as per title, I am considering buying a caravan to live in so I can save money whilst studying to buy a house. It will be a mobile caravan
How to handle boss/work situation? :(
I am currently just entering my second tri of pregnancy. The job I have was originally a PT position , as I was in university up til spring. It felt

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
My boyfriend doesn't text me as much anymore?
My boyfriend would text me everyday all day and now he won't text me first anymore or at all sometimes. Last night he stopped replying to my text so
Is she the rebound
If he leaves a 17 year relationship to date his High School Sweetheart from 32 years ago, is she a rebound ?
I want to break NC after almost 2 months to invite my ex gf to a concert
We have been in NC for almost 2 months after being together for 6 years. She stopped responding to a text i sent her. I saw she was interested in
Online dating, and why it doesn't work well for most men
We discussed this before, and for some reason people got personal and mean about it. So I have no intention of returning to this thread, but I wanted
PLEASE HELP, boyfriend talks to mom 4-5 times per day, very odd relationship....
Hi guys, Always been hesitant to post my personal business online. Anyways... here it goes... So my boyfriend is amazing...(just to throw this
Hurtful joking
My bf jokes about things that are very hurtful. Today was probably one of the most hurtful. He tried to grab my breasts and he does this a lot. He's
He dumped me and won't return my stuff
So I was seeing a guy for a short amount of time. Out of the blue....he blocked me? Fair enough, I get the message, I think it's rude but
Ask For Advice