I am putting my two-weeks notice in at my job tomorrow

Anonymous90

My husband has decided to accept a job offer that is located in another state, and we will be relocating at the end of the month. I will be putting my two-weeks notice in when I go to work tomorrow. I am terribly nervous about doing this. When I accepted this job, my supervisor asked me if I would stay long-term, or just temporarily and I told him long-term. My husband will not be able to get such a generous job offer in the state that we live in though, and we would really like to move. I hate to leave the company that I work for (it's a small company and I report directly to the company's CEO).

How should I approach this situation and start the conversation? My boss is often extremely busy. Do I send him an email to start the conversation? Do I do this in the morning or at the end of the day? What should I say?

I am asking because I'm very nervous, shy and intimidated and I don't want them to think that I was lying when I said I would stay with the company long-term. Again, that was the plan until the job offer came up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

First off, your job with this company was never contingent upon it being a long term position. You don't have to feel guilty, so let that go.

Before you go in, make a list of why you're going. Obviously, more income for your money, perhaps a better area to live in, to raise kids in, whatever. Have a few bullet points prepared so you can feel confident in this.

Go in, sit down, and start off with saying with you've enjoyed the company. You like the culture, the work, your boss, whatever. And then transition in to something like "as you know, life is unpredictable. My husband was recently offered a fantastic position in [state] that we just couldn't turn down. This means I'm putting in my two weeks, but I want you to know I respect you and this company. I'm here to assist in any transitory work that needs to be done"

Do not apologize, you're not doing anything wrong.

Don't take it so personally. Life happens and you can't always 100% guarantee things.

Doing the right thing - like giving a two week notice - should not hurt your professional reputation. Just explain that your husband has to relocate and you have to go with him.

You don't want to disappoint anyone. You likely have a case of the "disease to please", or at least a touch of it (I know I do). I understand your discomfort. But, it's your life and so you are entitled to do what is best for your family. Good luck. He might not like the news, but you are leaving for a good reason (if that helps).

Archived