How do I help my emotionless girlfriend?

MookieJ

My girlfriend has started to become emotionless. I love her very much and she loves me back, but her emotions constantly go up and down. One minutes it's all hugs and kisses, the next is just clamming up and not talking to me. We've been together for nearly 7 months and are both committed to what we're getting into, which brings extra problems with university around the corner. She has had bad and abusive relationships in the past and I've tried my best to show her she's wanted and loved, and she has told me I have stopped her from committing suicide. But I often am reminded that she has broken up with one of her exes due to being emotionless, and now I selfishly am worried that's going to happen to me. He apparently neglected her and had better things to do with his time than be with her, which is something I definitely don't do. Everything seems so serious and my anxiety is kicking in (which probably doesn't help her when I'm worried) because I'm not sure if this is the end of something great or she is just feeling horrible about life in general.

I'm willing to give more information if needed, but how would you suggest that I can help her?

She doesn't sound emotionless she sounds overemotional if she's telling you all this drama at 16 years old.

It would be best to focus on your studies and not fixing or saving her. Her parents and counselors should be helping her with that.

Basically, there's this girl that goes to the same college as me and I'm attracted to her. We're both 16 and I find her so great. However, she is much more reserved than most girls. I've picked up hints that she may like me, from what I know of shy girls such as fidgeting, eye contact, laughing at things I say and tone of voice. We've talked on Facebook for 2 months now, and she's broken up with her boyfriend. I've arranged a day to "hang out", where we get more comfortable socially, but I have told her that there's no pressure for this and that I'm just trying to get to know her better.
She doesn't sound emotionless she sounds overemotional if she's telling you all this drama at 16 years old.

It would be best to focus on your studies and not fixing or saving her. Her parents and counselors should be helping her with that.

I just care for her a lot and don't know how this is going to work out. A lot of things have changed since I made that post about her in May. Been more serious, more passionate. I can do college and care for her, but I do feel responsible for helping make things better for her after her past.

As a 16 y/o kid you need to focus on your studies. You are not qualified to be her therapist.

Let her parents and appropriate counselors help her.

You are only harming her and yourself by engaging in this amateur therapy and fixing, when she should be getting real treatment from a psychiatrist if she's doing things like complaining about suicide etc.

You are playing with someone's life by doing this. Stop it, a human being is not your personal guinea pig to be a pretend therapist with.

I can do college and care for her, but I do feel responsible for helping make things better for her after her past.

If you care about her and want to help her, help her to help herself by finding good counselors and if you want help by helping her get to the appointment if she needs a ride, etc.

Consider that this is a safe way for you to be in a relationship - it's not equal, you like being needed and you don't have to feel vulnerable because you tell yourself you have to be her hero -the one in charge. Not too healthy.

Archived