Argument with boss

Fesfas

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I haven't posted before but I would really like some honest impartial opinions.

I work in a warehouse and recently they (management) have been moving workers from team to team in order to handle the workload in the various departments. Today I was transferred from my usual department to work in the barcode scanning section. It was only my second time ever working in that section. I was issued a barcode scanner at the beginning of my shift. About an hour into my shift my scanner stopped working completely. I tried several times to get it working again but was unable to remember the password to log into the warehouse wireless network. So I went up to my supervisor and asked her for help. As I was standing there talking to her the department foreman came over to me and told me in quite an angry tone that I had just blinded him with the barcode laser him because I had been holding the scanner horizontally in my efforts to try to fix it (something which apparently you're not supposed to do, although nobody told me this). He was quite rude in my opinion, and I have to admit that I was quite shocked since the foremen at my workplace are usually quite understanding and sympathetic if you're a beginner in a certain task.

I sort of froze for a minute, but quickly collected myself and apologized for the mistake. I told him that I didn't know you're not supposed to hold the scanner horizontally and that I certainly didn't do it on purpose. He responded that "well now you know" and said in a very sarcastically aggressive tone "thanks so much for blinding me", and he walked away.

I felt really bad of course for my mistake, but I also felt a bit aggrieved that this guy (who is technically my boss) showed a total lack of understanding considering I had only every worked in that department once before. I know from experience what it's like to get a laser beam in the eye (not pleasant), but the uncomfortable sensation usually only lasts a few seconds and there is no risk of permanent damage to the retina (as far as I know). So I felt he kind of made a mountain out of a mole hill.

During my next break I went up to his office and asked if he had a quick moment to chat. I apologized again for my mistake but also told him that I I wasn't happy with the way he reacted to the situation. I explained that nobody had instructed me to keep the device pointing downwards at all times and that I certainly didn't make the mistake on purpose. I told him that from now on I will keep the scanner pointing down. He responded by saying that the device was in my possession and therefore I am responsible for its use or misuse (I agree completely). But then he said something like "I can't be held responsible for how I react in a situation where I am in discomfort." He then said that the matter is now closed and to please close the door on my way out. I thanked him for his time and left.

The thing is I don't really agree with him about his last sentence. Of course I could understand if his arm had been chopped off or something due to gross negligence on my part, but minor discomfort from a barcode scanner is (in my opinion) no excuse for losing control your temper, especially if you are in a management position in a warehouse (where small cuts and bruises are an everyday occurrence). I guess I also feel a bit offended that he dismissed my complaint without seemingly giving it a second thought. I have worked really hard for this company but lately have been feeling unappreciated by management, who complain daily that the workers aren't productive enough even though we regularly surpass the daily goal set by corporate. In fact this week was the first time since I have worked there that I actually heard one of the foremen say that we were doing a good job, so it's a rare occurrence to hear anything other than negative feedback. Maybe I'm just being too sensitive, but this latest incident has left me feeling that no one appreciates my efforts at that company. I work really hard even though I make the occasional mistake. It's a big company with thousands of workers, so I realize that I am just a tiny piece in a huge multinational framework, but I guess I feel sometimes that I am treated as subhuman, an organic machine whose feelings don't need to be taken into account because I am just a laborer. Am I being too sensitive?

I think this guy behaved in an egoistic manner and certainly was not in a very caring or compassionate state when he talked to you. I would have felt offended as well, had I been treated that way.

If this was an isolated incident, I think you could easily overlook it, but you mentioned feeling unacknowledged by management in general. That's probably the bigger issue here. I've made job change decisions based on my own ego on multiple occasions. What I've found is that I keep running into the same problem at every company: bosses are demanding and uncaring and I find myself resenting it. Either I have really bad luck, or the issue is with me. I am leaning towards the latter, but sometimes -- even when I know I'm stuck in my ego -- I just have to make a change because a situation simply isn't working out.

It's okay to change jobs if this one isn't right for you. Just don't start slacking off or make a bad career move because you're so desperate or resentful.

I agree that he made a big deal out of nothing. happens, you apologized, should have been no big deal.

However, I will tell you, he may have been in a bad mood because his boss is on his back saying he has to get X, Y, Z done and he has no way to do it..or whatever the case is.

I don't mean to give him an excuse, just trying to give you a window into his head. He's probably overly stressed and just acted like a .

Do your coworkers feel unappreciated? If that is the overall morale in your warehouse, you may want to rally some troops to address the situation with a manager who would listen.

What I've found is that I keep running into the same problem at every company: bosses are demanding and uncaring and I find myself resenting it. Either I have really bad luck, or the issue is with me.

I have the exact same experience! I try to make the best of a situation but eventually the toxic work atmosphere ends up getting the better of me.

I guess I just have to suck it up and work hard for the next few months until I can find something better. Thanks for replying. It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there that goes through stuff like this.

Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately suck it up until you have a new job. In these environments they may just toss you out there with poor training and then when it goes awry they yell. Crazy but that's how it goes.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel sometimes, like I was just thrown into the deep end and they already expect me to be an Olympic swimmer. Thanks for understanding.

Do your coworkers feel unappreciated? If that is the overall morale in your warehouse, you may want to rally some troops to address the situation with a manager who would listen.

Actually I have thought about asking around to see what the general feeling is nowadays. There was a strike last year and I know that the workers were furious with management for several months, but things seemed to have calmed down a little since then. But now there's talk of a new CBA coming into effect in January and the Union isn't exactly happy with all the new conditions. But on a more day-to-day basis it's hard to say if people are disgruntled or not. But if I had to take a guess I would say at least some of them are a little unhappy with how poorly management treats the workers. We have these monthly meetings when the bosses give us an update on the situation as a whole, but there's usually a 5 minute period at the end when the employees are allowed to say what's on their mind. Maybe I will say something at the next meeting. Thank for for your understanding.

Agreed on being way too sensitive. Yeah, the guy sounded like he was much more of an ass than he needed to be, but it happens, particularly in a warehouse environment where people tend to be much more candid.

It wasn't a matter of you having limited experience with it. It was that you weren't thinking. Most people, yourself included, are smart enough to know not to shine a laser across a warehouse. They're designed not to damage eyes, but there's no telling what someone could be doing that could be doing when they suddenly get shined in the eye. When he chewed you out, that was your opportunity to simply eat humble pie. Having been out of the blue collar field for several years now, I can honestly say I miss the days of getting chewed out and that being that.

But it's not like you committed some grievous sin and the extent to which the initial conversation went seems to have been a couple sentences. It really seems about as inconsequential as an incident gets.

I'd work on some self-adjustment if you expect to feel like your efforts are appreciated. Your paycheck is the appreciation. If you don't feel appreciated enough in that regard, I'd either ask for a raise or look for other work.

He may be a bit paranoid about his eyesight over something else or just the type to react badly to any discomfort or maybe it really hurt him. People in pain are not always the most rational and he on the other side of things, had absolutely no idea you didn't know to do that either.

You've apologized, he's accepted, it's done. Drop it and move on. The one who didn't tell you how the equipment worked and what could be dangerous about it is the one who is more at fault.

Maybe a note for the future if someone turns over a piece of equipment you've never used before ask if there's anything about it that you need to know such as safety issues, etc. Too often people forget to tell someone to watch out for the safety points on equipment and then someone gets hurt, which yeah that's just poor management. But I don't see you or your boss being at fault on this, your safety officer or whoever turned over the job should have warned you.

You can also grab the manuals on things to quickly pick up any safety points if those are around. It's just kind of a wrong time, wrong place, deal. I wouldn't read any more into it than that.

Maybe I'm just being too sensitive, but this latest incident has left me feeling that no one appreciates my efforts at that company.

Yep, too sensitive. You're talking about one guy, not the 'whole company.' It's warehouse work, not charm school. You're either resilient enough to roll with workers who are rough around the edges, or you might be better suited for executive office work.

Nobody who's been injured tends to be on their best behavior, and you don't have the right or the training to be dismissive about the degree or the complexity of another's injury just because your feelings are hurt.

He was right, just not pleasant about it, but neither were you. An apology is infuriating rather than sincere when it comes with qualifications, and you added further insult by tracking the guy down to fingerwag about his lack of etiquette.

If you're not shunned by your coworkers as a prima donna, then consider yourself lucky. If you are, then consider it a lesson learned, and either grow a thicker skin, or find work that will cater to your sensibilities.

He was right, just not pleasant about it, but neither were you. An apology is infuriating rather than sincere when it comes with qualifications

Yeah, this is an excellent point which I had not considered. If I had to say something then I maybe should have chosen my words more carefully. It's easy to come off as disingenuous when and apology is followed by the word "but". I think I understand now how he must have seen the situation. Thanks for your honesty.

Archived