HELPP!! I think my gf is trying to FORCE me get along with her mother??

Polyphemous91

Important stuff is bolded. Long story short, my girlfriend's mother has hated me since she met me. She pretended to like me for like 7 years and then she kind of just changed on me and became cold towards me. I tried to reach out to her simply because I know how my gf feels about their relationship. Her mom basically dissed me and I still tried through my gf. All she would say is "idk" which I know is a lie because her mother loves to bash people (When we went to Florida she made fun of her sister Sonia and her "gay" husband..and then we spent the night at Sonia's house for like three days smh). I found my self consumed by this problem after a while so at the end of 2015 I gave up and decided to move on. I stopped mentioning her mother and even refused to come around their family and found myself a little bitter because of the way things had happened. So a few months later in about June of this year things got even worse and to spite me she tried to separate us by outing my gf to her ex husband ( gf's father). He hates gay people and she knows this and he tried to force my gf to move out of our home. (Were both adults, 26 yo) The fact that she decided to hurt my girl just to get to me really made me angry. Then after all of this I find out that her mother never liked me and had even been talking trash and starting rumors about me behind my back. After that I officially decided I would wash my hands of this evil woman. Now I feel like my girlfriend is basically taking things in her own hands to fix things. Like for example when things first started getting bad (she told me my salary wasn't sh!+), I stopped speaking to her mother and when she would be on the phone with her she would lie and say I said hello..when we both knew that was not the case. Well one day it blew up in her face when her mother basically insulted me. She would not tell me what happened. Only that she doesn't want me around her mother because she doesn't like the way she is treating me. She was on the phone with her mother a few weeks back and when she said goodbye she lied and told her mother that "WE" love her. I was as mature as I could be about it and just gave her the side eye. I'm not saying that I hate her but I definitely did not say that let alone say I would like to be mentioned in the conversation. She left this week to go to turks with her mother to see family. I'm already content with not being around her mother, she's mean and dramatic, and the last time I traveled with them her mother was so ugly to me. My girlfriend literally said she wished that I could go so that she wouldn't have to go by herself (her siblings refused to go because her mother is really a b!+¢h so I'm not really sure why she went) and that I really would have enjoyed myself...now I'm looking at her like what thee fu¢¢??! How am I supposed to enjoy my self in your mothers vacation home when she doesn't even respect me.?? And then when we were packing her bags in the car she says mommy (she calls her mother mommy) loves you guys (talking to our dogs) and the she says mommy loves presia too (talking about me).. I know her mother didn't say that. I'm sure she bashed me during the conversation they had before she left. I honestly doubt her mother even mentioned me at all..why would she.?? Needless to say I know my gf is lying. I want her to stop because you can not force someone to behave the way you want them to. Lying about her mother and I greeting each other will only make things worse. Quite honestly I would be perfectly fine if I could just not hear about her mother again. I know I am being bitter. But its more about her respecting me. According to my gf her mother has some mental issues. But I feel like that is no excuse. She is not a drooling nincompoop and she is fully functional. Which means she knows how to treat people with respect. My girl has tried to use her "insanity" as an excuse but I feel like her mother takes advantage of this. And I refuse to allow her to treat me any kind of way like my gf and her siblings do. What do I do about my gf lies??

She is not a drooling nincompoop and she is fully functional. Which means she knows how to treat people with respect.

This is not necessarily true. I've known plenty of psychologically broken people who are able to put up a false front.

I can feel the anger in this post leeching through my computer screen. Her mother is a piece of work, no doubt. She probably deserves all your hatred and more. But do you deserve to feel this way? Does your girlfriend deserve to be on the receiving end of your anger? I wonder what this looks like from her perspective. I've been in situations where two people I love can't stand to be around each other. It's so, so hard to deal with. I think she's coping the only way she knows how. Asking her to disown her mom is going too far, and asking her to report on every indiscretion her mom commits where you are concerned seems like a very bad idea.

My advice is to focus on finding peace, whatever that looks like to you. This horrible person is not worth all the emotional energy you are investing! Let it go, focus on having a good relationship with your gf and just nod along when she says things like "we love you." People like her mom give the rest of us a chance to learn patience.

Archived