Does my friend like me?

22andhungry

To give you a short story we met about a year ago at the bar and went on a few dates but things never got really romantic and we've been friends since then.

We hangout every week rather it be just studying at her place or going out to the bar. But recently she's seemed really interested me. She comments & likes all my pictures on social media and she always post pictures of me and her on her snapchat. When we go home on breaks she initiates contact at least once a day through text or social media. Whenever we talk about our dating lives she only talks about how lame every guy is. She flirts a lot.

The thing is we are both very similar and hate talking about our feelings. I've mentioned to her that I have a crush on her when we first met and she didn't shoot me down but also didn't reciprocate she just smiled. Since then I thought I had long put that crush behind me, but she's really got me into her again. I've never been too nervous make a move on a girl but I am this time because I value our friendship so much she is one of very few true friends I have.

How can I figure this out without ruining our friendship?

I know I sound pathetic but this is the only female friend I've really ever been close to.

Unfortunately it sounds like the friendship is all that's there so there's no risk in losing that.

You could reiterate your crush, but would that be awkward for you? No don't drop a bomb and then run for cover.

Talking about dating lives and guys she dates is pretty much the sine qua non of the friendzone.

I've mentioned to her that I have a crush on her when we first met and she didn't shoot me down but also didn't reciprocate she just smiled.

But really, if she is flirting with you and she isn't interested, tell her to knock it off. Tell her it's confusing.

After talking to her she said she wanted to just be friends. And I did ask her about all the flirting and she said she was just playing with me I asked her to stop playing games with me and she got pretty offended. I know her well and I've seen her pretend like she's into guys just to reject them later and laugh about it, I just never thought she'd do it to me.

And now we're in an awkward silence

Wow sorry to hear this. Sounds like she likes to toy with guys for attention. Leopards don't change their spots, do they?

Haha yes well we got into it again and I think it's a self esteem problem with her. Strange things people do to seek validation. But I'm moving on now and personally I don't feel like I'll be missing out on anything.

You originally wrote "I value our friendship so much she is one of very few true friends I have." But as it turns out, after misreading things (liking on pics is what friends do, so your interpretation of that being more meaningful than it was makes your definition of "flirting" to be questionable).

Yet once she stated she wants to remain friends, you are out of there. That doesn't sound like you had a high value on a friendship, it sounds like you were hanging around with a crush whether it was consistent feelings or not. In the future, don't play friends with someone you have a crush on or you'll have more of this misinterpretation frustration which is a waste of everyone's time.

Archived