Happy Birthday to me.

Candy15

Today has been my first birthday alone without my family and friends.

I'm away at school so it's pretty far away from home... so you know...and I still do t have many friends in college. But, anyways it's already been terrible. I woke up and got ready and I know this is very petty but I couldn't find an outfit. And that made me late. Then I had my presentation. I totally bombed it. I read right off the screen...

And I got some pretty nice birthday wishes online but they didn't make me feel any better... I'm the type of person who always goes all out on everybody's birthday. I treat them so well and give them extravagant gifts and make them collages, videos and so on. I don't know, but I felt like at least somebody would care enough. I've literally spent my whole birthday alone. I just thought somebody would care...

and my mom and dad called they sang two lines of the happy birthday song then they started to yell at me cause my little sister is taking my card with her tomorrow on her trip to Hawaii and they needed me to call the bank. I got really upset. And just did it.

And to top it all off, my best friend forgot my birthday. She has messaged me at times throughout the day but about other things.

I just expect so much because I give sooo much to everybody and I'm always so tired. I just thought people did care about me and would want to show me at least a little bit today. And I absolutely know how ing petty this is but I'm just so upset. I know I shouldn't be..

Happy Birthday to me!

Happy Birthday - I know I'm just a stranger on a website, but I do care!

My youngest daughter had her first birthday (November) away at University and it was very hard on me not seeing her on her birthday I am very sorry your parents were focused on having you call the bank instead of having a nice birthday phone conversation. That sucks.

I agree with you, it's fun to do things for other's birthdays, decorate, sing, buy little gifts, treats, take them out, etc., and while it's fun - it's also fun to get these things back! Plus, it just makes you feel good inside.

I'm very sorry you didn't get some happiness on your birthday! (((HUGS))) It's not petty, it's how you feel and feelings are important. I'm not going to make any excuses for your friends/family - they really should have done something for your birthday like a cake/cookie delivery or flowers or just a nice phone call that didn't involve business. Maybe when you speak to your family on your next visit, maybe you can nicely bring it up and tell them how it made you feel.

It's probably compounded since you're away from home and haven't made a lot of friends yet. I hope you can make some friends soon - please hang in there!

I'm the type of person who always goes all out on everybody's birthday. I treat them so well and give them extravagant gifts and make them collages, videos and so on. I don't know, but I felt like at least somebody would care enough.

While you might view this as all about being generous, it sets a standard that few people, if anyone, want to live up to. It comes with strings attached that make you miserable, because look what happens when others fail to adopt the practice.

I'd skip that and adopt a reasonable balance in my own acknowledgements along with my expectations. I'd mark this birthday as a time of recognizing my own accomplishments over the last year and a private vow to make the coming year a good one. Beyond that, I'd consider that birthdays are like hidden minefields for those who don't own the foresight to mark their calendars, and so next year, I will skip the wish for a childhood toothfairy kind of surprise, and instead I will invite, ahead of time, one close friend or a small intimate group to a lunch or dinner in my home or somewhere else to celebrate.

It's not about squelching an urge to 'feel good' about birthdays, but rather about minimizing a need to project the kind of expectations on them that only hurt our own feelings.

Head high, and hope that this will be your best year ever.

I'm the type of person who always goes all out on everybody's birthday. I treat them so well and give them extravagant gifts and make them collages, videos and so on. I don't know, but I felt like at least somebody would care enough. I've literally spent my whole birthday alone. I just thought somebody would care...

Damn I wish I was like that. I always want to give people more on their birthday but I really dont know what. Those people are lucky to have you, I wish someone did that for me on my bday.

Archived