Removing competition at work!

Starshine

Hi there I'm not sure this is the right section to post this but I'll go with it.

Well the thing is I'm at my recently workplace for a year and plus right now. And lets say my recently appointed superior is unworthy of being at the position. She and I started together and though I do respect her as a person. But ever since she has gotten this post she just can't stop thinking she's the boss. And well the truth is she is not, she has our higher superiors to answer to as well.

The thing is she doesn't do much of her work herself now, makes me do the work and portray it as her own getting her the points. In short: she takes away the credit and these days she in the good graces of the Boss high up, that even if I say something the boss will take her side thinking she's the most hardworking person ever.

Me well, I won't lie I am bit competitive in nature and though I have joined a year back I am able to see through what is and what isn't. And if she is relying on my work then obviously my work must be of better quality than hers. And well... I just can stand i if the an unworthy person gets all while I work hard to get to a particular place in life. My Question is how can I deal with this situation and make the boss see what is right? And How do I eliminate her as a competitor?

"You can kill 1,000 enemies, but you would also lose 800 soldiers." - Sun Tzu.

Trying to eliminate her will make you look bad in the very eyes of the bosses you seek to make "see what is right". Often the best way to deal with a situation like this is to either let it take care of itself, or begin looking for something else.

Since I don't know what kind of work you do, it's hard to know the exact plan you should take. If it's possible to e-mail her and the higher bosses your work, saying: Here is my part of the research/project, for your consideration. I don't know if you can have a heart to heart with her saying that you'd like to be given credit in writing on the project/report. Tell her it's important to you for your evaluations and for future opportunities.

I don't know if you can get another job in your area, elsewhere. Although, just about every place I've worked at, I've had to deal with jerk co-workers and jerk management. It's hard to get away from. Sometimes you just have to think about the great paycheck and hope for a good day now and then.

lol...sorry but your perception is kind of funny. She got promoted because she is more clever than you and knows how to play the corporate politics game. You didn't get promoted because you don't have a clue about it. Reason I'm saying this is that you are fixated on "my work is better"....yeah, that's not how promotions work.

If I were you, I'd quit looking at her as lesser than you and start learning from her on how she manages people and relationships, because that's how you get promoted. Once you have the experience under your belt and actually get the game, move to another company and use those skills to advance. Any acting out by you here won't end well for you.

lol...sorry but your perception is kind of funny. She got promoted because she is more clever than you and knows how to play the corporate politics game. You didn't get promoted because you don't have a clue about it. Reason I'm saying this is that you are fixated on "my work is better"....yeah, that's not how promotions work.

If I were you, I'd quit looking at her as lesser than you and start learning from her on how she manages people and relationships, because that's how you get promoted. Once you have the experience under your belt and actually get the game, move to another company and use those skills to advance. Any acting out by you here won't end well for you.

"Doing a good job around here is like p1$$ing yourself while wearing dark blue pants. You'll get a nice warm feeling but no one will notice" - One of my former bosses.

Agree office politics are a pain. However until your resume is ready to go and you have a new job lined up you need to deal with who's who and what's what.

You may not like her or her new position but it is what it is. If she's in with the boss, complaining is preaching to the choir and will backfire and look catty/unprofessional..

Take credit for your work, of course, but be professional in your dealings and put "like" and "deserves" to the side, it looks like jealousy.

recently appointed superior is unworthy of being at the position. But ever since she has gotten this post she just can't stop thinking she's the boss. if I say something the boss will take her side thinking she's the most hardworking person ever. how can I deal with this situation and make the boss see what is right? And How do I eliminate her as a competitor?
Agree office politics are a pain. However until your resume is ready to go and you have a new job lined up you need to deal with who's who and what's what.

You may not like her or her new position but it is what it is. If she's in with the boss, complaining is preaching to the choir and will backfire and look catty/unprofessional..

Take credit for your work, of course, but be professional in your dealings and put "like" and "deserves" to the side, it looks like jealousy.

So there is no easy solution to this? That is the thing I'm still working on my resume. But sometimes I just feel like I am stuck and need to move elsewhere I have searched for other places but have found nothing suitable yet. why does life have to be so complicated?

Anyways Thank you all for your replies...

Has your workload increased because she has dumped everything on you? If so, I would be direct with her "I'm sorry, but I have to do/finish x, y, z and I'm afraid that adding k, j, l is going to spread me a little thin and cause my quality of work to suffer."

I have had too much dumped on me before and I have taken this approach and my workload was lessened. I am a hard worker but I know my limits and I can't do 4 people's jobs. You need to speak up if that's what is going on here.

Archived