I am jealous of my boyfriend's little sister.

catty110

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost a year now. Im close with his family and stay there almost exclusively when I visit. However, he has a seven year old little sister. She's a sweet girl, and I like her, when its just her and i we get along swimmingly; but she's a spoiled brat. She consistently takes advantage of her brother and throws a fit when things don't go her way. Her parents enable her; for instance, when my boyfriend and i go out (on my dime) they make sure i bring back (buy) something for her as well, and if i dont she cries and im in trouble with the parents. My boyfriend and I have a long distance relationship, as I am away at college about two and a half hours away. The last time i visited she cried and cried until she sat directly in between my boyfriend and i on the bed. I hate feeling this way but i don't know what to do any more. I am so jealous of all the attention he gives her, especially when I'm rarely around.

How do i move past this?

It is a bit ridiculous to say you are jealous of the attention your boyfriend gives his 7 year old sister. That is his sister! Look, I know children can be a pain. If you do not want her invading on your private time, wouldn't it make more sense for him to come visit you? Why do you need to be staying at his house all the time? Even if you do stay, can you not find things to do during the day? I'm sure she goes to bed at a reasonable time if you are sleeping over as well. Being hateful or jealous toward a child, particularly your s/o's sibling, is pointless. She will grow up one day, for now she is a bratty 7 year old like we all probably were at one point.

Agreed. She's probably jealous of all the attention you're getting and acting out. I don't think you should get her something necessarily every time you go out, BUT his parents are letting you stay there free, right? It's almost like "rent".

Try and do things with her instead. Pick up a cute girly board game or a kid friendly craft and get to know her.

When you are a guest in his home you don't call the shots or decide how anyone is raised or criticize your hosts or their family.

Learn to be a gracious guest and yes bringing a 7 y/o a little toy is the least you could do since they are hosting and feeding you so you can see your bf.

Why doesn't he stay at your place? What's wrong with your home-life/household? Where did you get your manners about being a guest from? Keep in mind she's the 7 y/o child not you.

Im close with his family and stay there almost exclusively when I visit. he has a seven year old little sister. she's a spoiled brat. when my boyfriend and i go out they make sure i bring back something for her as well
  • 1 month later...

You're not jealous of her, you're just simply jealous of the attention. I'm sorry to say but this is wrong of you. Whilst this girl is spoilt as you claim, naughty and disrespectful, there is no reason to be jealous of her or the amount of attentiveness she gets. My boyfriends girlfriend is exactly like this - she would get jealous when my brother would pay more attention to my family and I. Not a good trait. It comes down to immaturity as well I believe and fear. We are family, of course we will be paid attention. Worse thing is that my brothers girlfriend lives with my brother in another country, I rarely get to see him, I eventually see him with the girlfriend and she gets upset he's paying us more attention. I wonder why. We're all not perfectly confident within ourselves, I understand that. Neither am I HOWEVER you need to find confidence within yourself and work on yourself otherwise you will find jealous in everything that your partner does.

Archived