Overcoming Anxiety

For a couple of years now I've considered myself 'mentally healthy'. After years of depression and social anxiety I was feeling good or better. It's still a battlefield but I know how to win now.

I've only deluded myself in one aspect that I didn't dare to tackle. My fear and shame to get my teeth fixed. I haven't been to the dentist for more than 8 years. The shame is overwhelming and it was a vicious circle of anxiety - bad teeth - shame - anxiety - worse teeth etc.

I've called a dentist that is specialized in anxiety treatment and made an appointment for next month. I feel proud and terrified, strong and bitter. Why didn't I do this sooner. I don't wanna go. It's all coming in waves but now I just have to wait. Hopefully next year my teeth are smiling again.

Good for you for making that appointment! Fear seems like a barking, snarling dog that will rip out out our throats at any moment -- but it's really just a bully that always backs as soon as you find the courage to face it.

Stay strong. The process of working through your fears and dental challenges will be temporarily uncomfortable, but in the end the results will be worth it. Be sure to post a picture of those pearly whites when the work is done

I have my own dentistry fears, but I'm planning to face them as soon as my new insurance kicks in next January! Thanks for helping me realize I'm not the only one who deals with this kind of thing.

Archived